Old May 29th 08, 05:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default TfL £5Bn short for Crossrail

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

I imagine you have to be of high net worth to use City Airport.

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC
- LCY cost 83 quid for the return...

I seem to remember that LCY is a fine airport.

Old May 29th 08, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 29 May, 18:41, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

I imagine you have to be of high net worth to use City Airport.

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC
- LCY cost 83 quid for the return...

I seem to remember that LCY is a fine airport.

I dunno if you'd think that if you lived under the approach path!
Old May 29th 08, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message
, at
09:15:41 on Thu, 29 May 2008, 1506
remarked:
IMHO the Rail to Terminal interchange at Gatwick is about as good as
it gets. There is a frequent rail service to many destinations. The
platform overbridge leads directly into the terminal building.

It's not far from the south terminal, if anything closer in minutes than
Stansted (where the station is actually under the departure concourse,
but some walking is required). But it's a shuttle ride to the north
terminal (can easily take 10 minutes including waiting time). I reckon
Birmingham airport is closer to its station than Gatwick North is.
Old May 29th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:14:34 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On 29 May, 18:41, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

I imagine you have to be of high net worth to use City Airport.

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC
- LCY cost 83 quid for the return...

I seem to remember that LCY is a fine airport.

I dunno if you'd think that if you lived under the approach path!

Check Mr F's sig for where he lives. I'd say he's not very far from the
flight path.
--
Paul C
Old May 29th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 29 May, 18:41, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

I imagine you have to be of high net worth to use City Airport.

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC
- LCY cost 83 quid for the return...

I seem to remember that LCY is a fine airport.

I dunno if you'd think that if you lived under the approach path!

Check Mr F's sig for where he lives. I'd say he's not very far from the
flight path.

Err... very good point!

Old May 29th 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Not nessaccerarly, last time I visited Munich (This January) LCY - MUC
- LCY cost 83 quid for the return...

I seem to remember that LCY is a fine airport.

I dunno if you'd think that if you lived under the approach path!

Check Mr F's sig for where he lives. I'd say he's not very far from the
flight path.

Fair point - I live very near it but not directly under it. I still
think that the benefits outweigh the disbenefits though.

LCY does have some quite stringent noise abatement requirements such as
the 24 hour 'quiet zone' which gives us respite from around 1500
Saturday to 1500 Sunday.
Old May 29th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:15:41 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

IMHO the Rail to Terminal interchange at Gatwick is about as good as
it gets. There is a frequent rail service to many destinations. The
platform overbridge leads directly into the terminal building.

Agreed, though Stansted is probably as good (though not in terms of
its service) - the station there is also right under the terminal.
Birmingham might well rank higher in terms of accessibility - you do
have to ride the people-mover thingy but it has a wider range of
destinations that aren't London (and not a bad service to London
either).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 29th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

I dunno if you'd think that if you lived under the approach path!

Most of the development under the approach path (close to the airport)
on the country side is pretty new, so anyone complaining about it
wasn't paying attention when they chose to live there. On the Central
London side it is not, IMO, particuarly disruptive due to the steep
angle of approach after Canary Wharf.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 30th 08, 06:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

IMHO the Rail to Terminal interchange at Gatwick is about as good as
it gets. There is a frequent rail service to many destinations. The
platform overbridge leads directly into the terminal building.

Agreed, though Stansted is probably as good (though not in terms of
its service) - the station there is also right under the terminal.
Birmingham might well rank higher in terms of accessibility - you do
have to ride the people-mover thingy but it has a wider range of
destinations that aren't London (and not a bad service to London
either).

Neil

On the downside, the number of popular holiday destinations has actually
diminished. I often have to fly from Manchester.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management
Old June 2nd 08, 06:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 20:15:24 on
Tue, 27 May 2008, Charles Ellson remarked:
IIRC you'll get to London quicker from Stansted than you will
from Luton

The trains are usually a little quicker, but the service is less
frequent, especially in the evening/overnight.