Old May 23rd 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Kensington Olympia and Arriva Cross Country east of Reading Queries

Hi folks,

A couple of questions if I may. I was planning to travel on the Cross
Country services from Reading to East Croydon/Redhill sometime soon,
to say farewell (I need one of the curves at Acton Wells Jct).

Am I right in thinking that the only bits of track that these services
use that could be considered rare are Acton-Mitre Bridge, and
Latchmere-Factory Jcts, as per PSUL http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/2008.htm

I was thinking of doing both ways from East Croydon/Redhill to Gatwick
(i.e. via Kensington Olympia, and via Guildford), can anyone suggest
the best ticket to get?

I see there are two Gatwick-Reading fares, one routes Guildford and
the other London.... does Kensington Olympia still count as a London
Terminal please?

I was going to look at a zone R1256 travelcard, then a boundary zone 6
to Reading ticket, but I see this is only available as either route
Slough or route Ascot, so perhaps doesn't help me that much.

Anyone care to say whether East Croydon to Reading via Guildford would
be considered a valid route?

Thanks in anticipation

Old May 23rd 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 23, 10:40*am, wrote:
[...]

The fares I can see are £18 CDR 'via Gomshall' and £24.10 'any
permitted' which presumably includes KO (not a London terminal) or
Ascot but not London. I couldn't get it to show me a via London fare
Old May 23rd 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23 May, 11:48, wrote:
On May 23, 10:40*am, wrote:

[...]

Ascot but not London. I couldn't get it to show me a via London fare- Hide quoted text -

Reading to East Croydon via Redhill is a permitted route (map CS) so a
"Not London" ticket is fine - there is a lower priced "via Redhill"
ticket as well so some FGW conductors don't like "not London" tickets
via Redhill. One day travelcards are definitely not valid via
Guildford.

Kensington Olympia is "not London".

Gatwick to Reading is *not* currently valid via London according to
the routing guide even though there is an appropriate fare with cross
London connection.

The various services have different routes between Kensington Olympia
and East Croydon - I have been via Norbury, Streatham Hill and Herne
Hill - Tulse Hill at various occasions in the last few years.

You may find that cheap AP tickets e.g. Reading to Gatwick by AXC and
Gatwick to *Swindon* [1] by FGW are available at quieter times of the
day.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

[1] Breaking the rules on ending short.
Old May 23rd 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23 May, 13:12, wrote:
You may find that cheap AP tickets e.g. Reading to Gatwick by AXC and
Gatwick to *Swindon* [1] by FGW are available at quieter times of the
day.

[1] Breaking the rules on ending short.- Hide quoted text -

Which is quite difficult at Reading as the barriers would refuse your
ticket & the grippers, quite rightly, would tell you that the ticket
is invalid to Reading & charge you again, plus Penalty Fare. Silly
idea, really.
Old May 23rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23 May, 13:30, Chris wrote:
On 23 May, 13:12, wrote:

You may find that cheap AP tickets e.g. Reading to Gatwick by AXC and
Gatwick to *Swindon* [1] by FGW are available at quieter times of the
day.

[1] Breaking the rules on ending short.- Hide quoted text -

Which is quite difficult at Reading as the barriers would refuse your
ticket & the grippers, quite rightly, would tell you that the ticket
is invalid to Reading & charge you again, plus Penalty Fare. Silly
idea, really.

Barriers at Reading are turned off at 9pm Sunday to Thursday - also
I'm not sure that the barriers are necessarily set to reject AP
tickets ending short and besides the barrier staff let people through
the manual gates on being shown a ticket with only a glance.

I'd personally far rather see the barriers turned on at all times when
trains run and keep use of the manual gate for very exceptional
circumstances only but that's not the way things are.

Old May 25th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Scott
writes
Can you please cite the rule that says you can't end short on these AP
tickets?

If the previous poster means the new 'Advance' tickets they do indeed have
new standard T&C which prevent BOJ, ending short and starting 'long'.
I pointed this out a few weeks ago - and wonder if the NCOC para 16 should
be amended to match?

http://nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...onditions.html

Thanks.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 25th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 24 May, 23:07, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in ...

In article
,
writes
Gatwick to Reading is *not* currently valid via London according to
the routing guide even though there is an appropriate fare with cross
London connection.

On an Any Permitted ticket, you can go via London provided that you get to
Reading via Staines (e.g. Gatwick to London Bridge, W&C line, Waterloo to
Reading).

On a "route London" ticket you can go via Paddington as well.

You may find that cheap AP tickets e.g. Reading to Gatwick by AXC and
Gatwick to *Swindon* [1]

[1] Breaking the rules on ending short.

Can you please cite the rule that says you can't end short on these AP
tickets?

If the previous poster means the new 'Advance' tickets they do indeed have
new standard T&C which prevent BOJ, ending short and starting 'long'.
I pointed this out a few weeks ago - and wonder if the NCOC para 16 should
be amended to match?

http://nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...onditions.html

"You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at any
intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains as shown on
the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary."

Paul- Hide quoted text -

One thing I don't quite know is about the "valid travel itinerary".
Am I obliged to take my booking confirmation with me when I travel so
that a conductor could check I am on the right trains (the &
connections part where those trains don't have reservations)? AP
tickets issued on normal credit-card sized ticket stock only show the
part of the journey where there is a reservation. Alternatively, is
the "valid travel itinerary" simply a way of describing mobile tickets
or paper tickets that aren't in widespread use yet?

Jonathan