Old May 25th 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Oyster validators at Wembley Central and Paddington

Oyster validators have now been fitted at the bottom of the stairs to
platforms 4/5 and 6. They don't appear to be switched on yet. There is
now a notice in the booking hall telling passengers to use the manual
gate validator when using platforms 5 & 6.

At Paddington, FGW have put up a poster telling passengers to use the
platform 13 validator when the gateline is switched off.

Old May 26th 08, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message
Oyster validators have now been fitted at the bottom of the stairs to
platforms 4/5 and 6. They don't appear to be switched on yet. There is
now a notice in the booking hall telling passengers to use the manual
gate validator when using platforms 5 & 6.

At Paddington, FGW have put up a poster telling passengers to use the
platform 13 validator when the gateline is switched off.

I took the Hammersmith & City to Paddington earlier this week, the first
time that I have done so in a long time. I tapped my Oyster out, using one
of the validators at platform level, despite having read previous posts that
there are now new gates at the entrance. My card let me out at the gates,
but I am wondering if I am due to be fined £5 for an unresolved journey.

Old May 26th 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 May, 10:11, wrote:
I took the Hammersmith & City to Paddington earlier this week, the first
time that I have done so in a long time. I tapped my Oyster out, using one
of the validators at platform level, despite having read previous posts that
there are now new gates at the entrance. My card let me out at the gates,
but I am wondering if I am due to be fined £5 for an unresolved journey.

No, in general you can touch as many standalone validators as you like
without it affecting your fare, although I'm sure there are exceptions
(Stratford, possibly)

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old May 26th 08, 09:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 26 May, 10:25, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 May, 10:11, wrote:

I took the Hammersmith & City to Paddington earlier this week, the first
time that I have done so in a long time. I tapped my Oyster out, using one
of the validators at platform level, despite having read previous posts that
there are now new gates at the entrance. My card let me out at the gates,
but I am wondering if I am due to be fined £5 for an unresolved journey.

No, in general you can touch as many standalone validators as you like
without it affecting your fare, although I'm sure there are exceptions
(Stratford, possibly)

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Watford Junction is an exception. If you touch the validators and then
try to exit, the gates will reject the card with a code 22 "double
exit."
Old May 26th 08, 01:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 May, 23:47, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
At Paddington, FGW have put up a poster telling passengers to use the
platform 13 validator when the gateline is switched off.

Great! so everyone has to walk back to platformn 13 if they find the
barriers switched off to complete their journey on Oyster?
Isthat good enough? I'd beseriously ****ed off.....

Old May 26th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:38:26 -0700 (PDT), Chris wrote:

At Paddington, FGW have put up a poster telling passengers to use the
platform 13 validator when the gateline is switched off.

Great! so everyone has to walk back to platformn 13 if they find the
barriers switched off to complete their journey on Oyster?
Isthat good enough? I'd beseriously ****ed off.....

That does seem silly. At all other stations, the validators on the
gates remain active when the gates are left open (and, indeed,
passengers are frequently exhorted to always touch in and out even if
the gates are open).
Old May 27th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

On Mon, 26 May 2008 02:33:13 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

On 26 May, 10:25, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 May, 10:11, wrote:

I took the Hammersmith & City to Paddington earlier this week, the first
time that I have done so in a long time. I tapped my Oyster out, using one
of the validators at platform level, despite having read previous posts that
there are now new gates at the entrance. My card let me out at the gates,
but I am wondering if I am due to be fined £5 for an unresolved journey.

No, in general you can touch as many standalone validators as you like
without it affecting your fare, although I'm sure there are exceptions
(Stratford, possibly)

--http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Watford Junction is an exception. If you touch the validators and then
try to exit, the gates will reject the card with a code 22 "double
exit."

No problem at Stratford. I went from Cutty Sark to Stratford, touched
out at the DLR standalone reader, intending to get the GE local
service to Romford (for which I have a [paper] ticket). When I got to
the platform, there were people about 8 deep waiting for the train, so
I switched to the Central line to Hainault, then bus 247. I touched
in again at the platform reader at Stratford, out at Hainault and was
only charged for one through journey Cutty Sark - Hainault.

--
Ken
Old June 1st 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 26, 10:25*am, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 26 May, 10:11, wrote:

I took the Hammersmith & City to Paddington earlier this week, the first
time that I have done so in a long time. I tapped my Oyster out, using one
of the validators at platform level, despite having read previous posts that
there are now new gates at the entrance. My card let me out at the gates,
but I am wondering if I am due to be fined £5 for an unresolved journey.

No, in general you can touch as many standalone validators as you like
without it affecting your fare, although I'm sure there are exceptions
(Stratford, possibly)

When you first posted this it planted a seed in my mind that has been
niggling away since.

Does it really mean that if you touch at Mudchute, then touch again
while changing at both Canary Wharf and Poplar (having accidentally
got on one of those 20-minute frequency services from Lewisham to
Canary Wharf) and touch again at Limehouse when exiting the system, it
calculates one journey from Mudchute to Limehouse rather than one
journey from Mudchute to Canary Wharf plus a separate journey from
Poplar to Limehouse?

(Or if you only touched at Poplar on the way, doesn't charge for an
unresolved journey starting from Limehouse?)

If that's right, which seems fair enough, then it could effectively
prohibit anyone from starting a second journey for up to 1 hour and 59
minutes (if a minute is the shortest hop you can do).

So here's a new scenario. You touch at Mudchute and travel on the DLR
to West India Quay and touch again ("out").

You then spend one and a half hours at the Wetherspoons before
wandering over to Westferry (given the engineering work) and touching
"in" with the intention of going shopping in Oxford Street or
whatever.

Depending on your speed of walking to Westferry, you have then got
only a few minutes to complete your journey from Westferry to Oxford
Circus if you want to avoid being charged £4 when you try to exit
there (because it's going to assume that you did a single journey from
Mudchute to Westferry).
Old July 13th 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 06:03:51 -0700 (PDT), MIG wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I was meaning to reply to this post, but forgot.

I reckon these interchange validators work as follows. They refund
your £4 and charge you for a journey from your origin to that point.
However, they leave your card in a state of being "possibly inside"
the system (as opposed to an exit validator, which would leave you
"outside"), which means:

- If you subsequently touch an exit validator (or another interchange
validator) within the 2 hour time limit, your previous journey is
refunded and you're charged for a journey from your origin to that
point;
- If instead you subsequently touch an entry validator, it starts a
new journey.

This would apply to the platform validators at Stratford, Ealing
Broadway, etc (where anyone touching it could either be
entering/exiting the system or just changing between Tube/DLR lines
and remaining within it). It probably also applies to the mysterious
DLR validator at Bank.

So here's a new scenario. You touch at Mudchute and travel on the DLR
to West India Quay and touch again ("out").

I'm not familiar with WIQ but I assume it's just a normal entry/exit
validator there (not an "interchange" one as described above), so this
would just complete your journey as normal, and put your card
"outside" the system.

You then spend one and a half hours at the Wetherspoons before
wandering over to Westferry (given the engineering work) and touching
"in" with the intention of going shopping in Oxford Street or
whatever.

This would just start a new journey, as your card is in the "outside"
state...

Depending on your speed of walking to Westferry, you have then got
only a few minutes to complete your journey from Westferry to Oxford
Circus if you want to avoid being charged £4 when you try to exit
there (because it's going to assume that you did a single journey from
Mudchute to Westferry).

....so I don't think this would be the case.