Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default London Broadgate station and that old fashioned 'junction' suffix

On May 30, 12:23*pm, Mr Mappy wrote:
I noticed that there was a piece in Rail magazine proposing the
renaming of London Liverpool Street to London Broadgate*. I suggested
this last year in a letter published in Rail**, but maybe it's not an
original idea, anyone know of any earlier proposals to lose that
confusing Liverpool Street?

Eminently sensible.

The old fashioned railway parlance of using the suffix 'junction'
should be reviewed. For example, the inappropriate Watford Junction,
St Helens Junction and Yeovil Junctions would be more helpful as
Watford Mainline, St Helens South and Yeovil South. And the yet to
open Dalston Junction (not a junction at all) would be better as
Dalston Lane.

Watfor IS a junction. Everyone knows it as Watford Junction. It will
be even more so if the Met. ever makes it there.

Some are just wrong - Euston Square on the Met isn't on Euston Square
(this is in front of Euston mainline station). This would be better as
Euston Road.

How about just rebuiding Euston Square in front of Euston and making
it into a proper interchange.