Old May 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default London Broadgate station and that old fashioned 'junction' suffix

On May 30, 12:23*pm, Mr Mappy wrote:
I noticed that there was a piece in Rail magazine proposing the
renaming of London Liverpool Street to London Broadgate*. I suggested
this last year in a letter published in Rail**, but maybe it's not an
original idea, anyone know of any earlier proposals to lose that
confusing Liverpool Street?

Eminently sensible.

The old fashioned railway parlance of using the suffix 'junction'
should be reviewed. For example, the inappropriate Watford Junction,
St Helens Junction and Yeovil Junctions would be more helpful as
Watford Mainline, St Helens South and Yeovil South. And the yet to
open Dalston Junction (not a junction at all) would be better as
Dalston Lane.

Watfor IS a junction. Everyone knows it as Watford Junction. It will
be even more so if the Met. ever makes it there.

Some are just wrong - Euston Square on the Met isn't on Euston Square
(this is in front of Euston mainline station). This would be better as
Euston Road.

How about just rebuiding Euston Square in front of Euston and making
it into a proper interchange.

Old May 30th 08, 10:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:02:33 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

On May 30, 12:23*pm, Mr Mappy wrote:
I noticed that there was a piece in Rail magazine proposing the
renaming of London Liverpool Street to London Broadgate*. I suggested
this last year in a letter published in Rail**, but maybe it's not an
original idea, anyone know of any earlier proposals to lose that
confusing Liverpool Street?

Eminently sensible.

Oh?
What about :-
Oxford Street (not in Oxford)
Victoria (not in Australia)
Kings Cross (ditto)
Waterloo (not in Belgium)
XXXXXX Road (usually not in XXXXXX)
Dozens of Underground stations not in the place of the same name.

Anyway, there's already a Broadgate in Oldham (and Nottingham and
Lincoln and ...) so by your own reasoning that name can't be used for
a London station.
snip
Old May 31st 08, 07:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

How about just rebuiding Euston Square in front of Euston and making
it into a proper interchange.

If I'm getting my bearings right, the entrance is all that would need
rebuilding - the other end of the platforms are damn near Euston
station compared with where the entrance currently is.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 31st 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 23:07:35 on
Fri, 30 May 2008, Charles Ellson remarked:
Anyway, there's already a Broadgate in Oldham (and Nottingham and
Lincoln and ...)

Broadgate in Nottingham is a small street in Beeston miles from anywhere
you'd expect a railway station. You didn't mean Broadmarsh, did you
(always reminds me of a cross between Broadmoor and Belmarsh).
Old May 31st 08, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 31, 8:46 am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

How about just rebuiding Euston Square in front of Euston and making
it into a proper interchange.

If I'm getting my bearings right, the entrance is all that would need
rebuilding - the other end of the platforms are damn near Euston
station compared with where the entrance currently is.

Yep - its a blindingly obvious thing to do.

--
Nick

Old May 31st 08, 10:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sat, 31 May 2008 13:17:58 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 23:07:35 on
Fri, 30 May 2008, Charles Ellson remarked:
Anyway, there's already a Broadgate in Oldham (and Nottingham and
Lincoln and ...)

Broadgate in Nottingham is a small street in Beeston miles from anywhere
you'd expect a railway station. You didn't mean Broadmarsh, did you
(always reminds me of a cross between Broadmoor and Belmarsh).

As a steet, I'd picked it as a (probably) more established use of the
name Broadgate than a "here today, gone tomorrow" [(c) Robin Day]
office development.
Old June 1st 08, 09:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 23:05:53 on
Sat, 31 May 2008, Charles Ellson remarked:
Broadgate in Nottingham is a small street in Beeston miles from anywhere
you'd expect a railway station. You didn't mean Broadmarsh, did you
(always reminds me of a cross between Broadmoor and Belmarsh).

As a steet, I'd picked it as a (probably) more established use of the
name Broadgate than a "here today, gone tomorrow" [(c) Robin Day]
office development.

But Broadgate in Nottingham is miles from a railway station, so why use
it as a name?
Old June 1st 08, 11:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 30 May 2008, 1506 wrote:

On May 30, 12:23*pm, Mr Mappy wrote:
I noticed that there was a piece in Rail magazine proposing the
renaming of London Liverpool Street to London Broadgate*. I suggested
this last year in a letter published in Rail**, but maybe it's not an
original idea, anyone know of any earlier proposals to lose that
confusing Liverpool Street?

Eminently sensible.

Are we sure it isn't London Bishopsgate? That would be a much better name.

Or, hey, how about Broad Street?

tom

--
I do not think we will have to wait for long.
Old June 1st 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:12:40 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 23:05:53 on
Sat, 31 May 2008, Charles Ellson remarked:
Broadgate in Nottingham is a small street in Beeston miles from anywhere
you'd expect a railway station. You didn't mean Broadmarsh, did you
(always reminds me of a cross between Broadmoor and Belmarsh).

As a steet, I'd picked it as a (probably) more established use of the
name Broadgate than a "here today, gone tomorrow" [(c) Robin Day]
office development.

But Broadgate in Nottingham is miles from a railway station, so why use
it as a name?

The point is that there are probably many stations somewhat closer to
a relatively-permanent "Broadgate" than Liverpool Street station is.
Old June 1st 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

How about just rebuiding Euston Square in front of Euston and making
it into a proper interchange.

If I'm getting my bearings right, the entrance is all that would need
rebuilding - the other end of the platforms are damn near Euston
station compared with where the entrance currently is.

Yep - its a blindingly obvious thing to do.

But not perhaps as blindingly simple as one might like it to be!

There were some recent murmurs of a significant redevelopment at
Euston, replete with an air rights development in place of the parcel
deck, and I'm sure I recall some vague notion that this would also
entail linking up Euston Square with Euston.

In the meantime Euston Square is a useful is a little secret for those
in the know, far from the madding crowd.