London Banter

-   -   Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6974-petition-stop-overcrowding-public-transport.html)

Jonathan[_2_] July 19th 08 01:28 AM

Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

Public transport has always been awful; and over the past couple of years
I've noticed that more and more often I'm squashed inside a bus or train,
with hardly enough room to breathe, because the company decided to cancel
earlier buses or trains without notice, and without making any alternative
arrangements.

Because I believe that this gross-overcrowding is a serious risk to public
health and safety, I've created a petition at
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/sardines/ asking for action to be taken to stop
this gross-overcrowding.

Therefore, if anyone else here shares my concerns, please co-sign the
petition, and if possible, please pass the message along to a few friends.

Jonathan

[email protected] July 19th 08 10:50 AM

On 19 Jul, 02:28, "Jonathan" wrote:
Public transport has always been awful; and over the past couple of years
I've noticed that more and more often I'm squashed inside a bus or train,
with hardly enough room to breathe, because the company decided to cancel
earlier buses or trains without notice, and without making any alternative
arrangements.

If there was a decent tube system in south london some of the pressure
would be taken off the overground trains. But the amount of overground
lines has always been used as an excuse for not further extending the
tube south of the river rather than thinking the services could
complement each other. The its-difficult-to-tunnel excuse no longer
holds water in the 21st century so I guess the only obstacle now would
be money as it ever was - we have tight fisted victorians to thank for
the piddly mainline loading gauge meaning we can't have double deck
trains , and the frankly farcical loading gauge on the deep level tube
lines.

B2003

Maria July 19th 08 12:39 PM

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Public transport has always been awful; and over the past couple of years
I've noticed that more and more often I'm squashed inside a bus or train,
with hardly enough room to breathe, because the company decided to cancel
earlier buses or trains without notice, and without making any alternative
arrangements.

Because I believe that this gross-overcrowding is a serious risk to public
health and safety, I've created a petition at
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/sardines/ asking for action to be taken to stop
this gross-overcrowding.

Therefore, if anyone else here shares my concerns, please co-sign the
petition, and if possible, please pass the message along to a few friends.

Jonathan

Good idea. I've always thought there should be an active campaign to
discourage people who don't have to travel in rush hour from using public
transport at peak times.

Marķa

Mr Thant July 19th 08 12:46 PM

On 19 Jul, 13:39, "Maria" wrote:
Good idea. *I've always thought there should be an active campaign to
discourage people who don't have to travel in rush hour from using public
transport at peak times.

Perhaps they could charge higher fares?

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Roland Perry July 19th 08 01:04 PM

Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

In message
, at
05:46:58 on Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
I've always thought there should be an active campaign to
discourage people who don't have to travel in rush hour from using public
transport at peak times.

Perhaps they could charge higher fares?

Perversely, they charge habitual rush-hour travellers lower fares.

John Rowland July 19th 08 01:11 PM

wrote:
[...]

It still doesn't make sense to build Tube lines in South London though,
because that would involve expensive wheelchair-accessible stations which
would leave the existing surface stations underused or closed. I think it
would be cheaper to build underground express lines from the edge of
London - say from east of Esher to south of Tottenham Hale via new deep
platforms at Kingston, Earls Court/West Brompton, Bond Street, and
Euston/Kings Cross ( and possibly four-track the line from Tottenham Hale to
Cheshunt) for through dual-voltage services from Portsmouth etc to Stansted
etc. - and then hand the existing surface lines to LOROL and flood them with
6-30 tph metro services.

MarkVarley - MVP July 19th 08 06:54 PM

Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:39:14 +0100, "Maria"
wrote this gibberish:

"Jonathan" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I go to great lengths to avoid moving anywhere at peak times, I pity
the regular commuters who deal with the sheer unpleasantness of public
transport from the handful of times I've found myself with little
choice to.
the horror...
the horror......
the horror.........

--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Colin Rosenstiel July 19th 08 08:48 PM

Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

In article
,
() wrote:

The its-difficult-to-tunnel excuse no longer holds water in the
21st century

So we have new geology in the 21st century? What's changed pray?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim..... July 20th 08 03:40 PM

"Maria" wrote in message

"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]

But we do have this policy.

It's achieved by charging much higher fares in the peak.

(Or it was, until the Oyster virus came along)

tim

Neil Williams July 20th 08 03:40 PM

Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:04:17 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Perversely, they charge habitual rush-hour travellers lower fares.

Abolishing this suddenly would probably cause economic meltdown in
London and the South East (and by extension the rest of the UK),
though.

While I agree that lots of commuting is not desirable, it needs to be
dealt with the other way, such as a phased-in legal requirement to
allow (or even mandate) home working for employees (such as office
workers, call centre workers etc) where it is feasible with modern-day
technology.

Neil

--
Neil Williams