London Banter

-   -   air conditioned buses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6996-air-conditioned-buses.html)

Stuart July 25th 08 04:30 PM

air conditioned buses

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open. The unit on the bus I've
just been on (today being the hottest day of the year) looks like it had
given up as there was water pouring out of a unit on the ceiling every
time we turned a corner!

RobWilton July 25th 08 06:15 PM

air conditioned buses

wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:30:37 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open.

Seems opening windows be it a hot day or cold when they get on board a
bus is an obsession with some people.

Surely it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to lock the windows
in hot weather so that the air conditioning can function properly?

Neil Williams July 25th 08 06:49 PM

air conditioned buses

wrote:

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open. The unit on the bus I've
just been on (today being the hottest day of the year) looks like it had
given up as there was water pouring out of a unit on the ceiling every
time we turned a corner!

Was it actually aircon, or just the giant fans in the back that just
suck air out (and so in through the windows)?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams July 25th 08 07:12 PM

air conditioned buses

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:43:46 GMT, wrote:

Aircon works keeping vehicles at a constant tempriture so no need to
incorporate opening windows in winter or summer .

Except that aircon isn't 100% reliable, so some (normally locked)
opening windows are a sensible precaution for the event that it fails
to save the vehicle becoming unbearable to travel in.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Paul Corfield July 25th 08 07:41 PM

air conditioned buses

wrote:

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open. The unit on the bus I've
just been on (today being the hottest day of the year) looks like it had
given up as there was water pouring out of a unit on the ceiling every
time we turned a corner!

Was it actually aircon, or just the giant fans in the back that just
suck air out (and so in through the windows)?

On the 102 it would be the latter - a new Enviro 400. There is only bus
in London on TfL routes that has had proper air conditioning when built
(a sole vehicle with First in West London) and I believe it has had the
air con removed as it was so unreliable.

The air cooling units can work well but ideally the windows do need to
be shut.
--
Paul C

Neil Williams July 25th 08 08:14 PM

air conditioned buses

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:41:45 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

The air cooling units can work well but ideally the windows do need to
be shut.

Presumably this is so the fans cause the air to be drawn through the
whole upper deck from the vents at the front? That said, these units
(while very effective at preventing steam-up and making buses not
smell of buses any more) do not provide any perceptible cooling
effect, as they don't move enough air, hence why the windows end up
open.

They aren't air-cooling units, IOW, they're just extractor fans.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Barry Salter July 25th 08 09:12 PM

air conditioned buses

Paul Corfield wrote:

On the 102 it would be the latter - a new Enviro 400. There is only bus
in London on TfL routes that has had proper air conditioning when built
(a sole vehicle with First in West London) and I believe it has had the
air con removed as it was so unreliable.

I thought the buses used for the "Millennium Transit" from Charlton to
the tent had proper aircon installed, though I stand for correction on that?

Cheers,

Barry

Paul Corfield July 25th 08 10:37 PM

air conditioned buses

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:12:01 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

On the 102 it would be the latter - a new Enviro 400. There is only bus
in London on TfL routes that has had proper air conditioning when built
(a sole vehicle with First in West London) and I believe it has had the
air con removed as it was so unreliable.

I thought the buses used for the "Millennium Transit" from Charlton to
the tent had proper aircon installed, though I stand for correction on that?

But they've all been sold or scrapped. You might be correct - I
honestly can't remember whether those DAF things did have air con or
not.
--
Paul C

Adrian July 25th 08 10:48 PM

air conditioned buses

gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I am a person who only knows how to drive vehicles not what goes on
under the bonnet can any one tell me why or what causes a car or any
other vehicle fitted with aircon use more fuel when the aircon is in
use ? . I only came by this information today otherwise I would not have
been giving the aircon in the new car so much stick this week , no
mention in the handbook regarding the aircon using fuel !.

The compressor for the aircon doesn't just spin round on it's own. It's
belt-driven from the engine, and requires effort to turn it. That effort
puts extra load on the engine, which requires fuel.

OTOH, NOT using the aircon is the best way to make sure it doesn't work.
The seals dry out, and the gas escapes.

Paul G July 25th 08 11:36 PM

air conditioned buses

In message , Neil Williams
writes
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:43:46 GMT, wrote:

Aircon works keeping vehicles at a constant tempriture so no need to
incorporate opening windows in winter or summer .

Except that aircon isn't 100% reliable, so some (normally locked)
opening windows are a sensible precaution for the event that it fails
to save the vehicle becoming unbearable to travel in.

On Connex they sorted this issue (of idiot passengers) by introducing
lockable windows, so they (the operator) can open them if the aircon
fails; but otherwise leave them locked shut.

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking