Old July 25th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default air conditioned buses

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open. The unit on the bus I've
just been on (today being the hottest day of the year) looks like it had
given up as there was water pouring out of a unit on the ceiling every
time we turned a corner!

Old July 25th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:30:37 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open.

Seems opening windows be it a hot day or cold when they get on board a
bus is an obsession with some people.

Surely it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to lock the windows
in hot weather so that the air conditioning can function properly?

Old July 25th 08, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The new buses on the 102 route appear to be air conditioned, but it is
totally useless as all of the windows open. The unit on the bus I've
just been on (today being the hottest day of the year) looks like it had
given up as there was water pouring out of a unit on the ceiling every
time we turned a corner!

Was it actually aircon, or just the giant fans in the back that just
suck air out (and so in through the windows)?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 25th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:41:45 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

The air cooling units can work well but ideally the windows do need to
be shut.

Presumably this is so the fans cause the air to be drawn through the
whole upper deck from the vents at the front? That said, these units
(while very effective at preventing steam-up and making buses not
smell of buses any more) do not provide any perceptible cooling
effect, as they don't move enough air, hence why the windows end up
open.

They aren't air-cooling units, IOW, they're just extractor fans.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 25th 08, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On the 102 it would be the latter - a new Enviro 400. There is only bus
in London on TfL routes that has had proper air conditioning when built
(a sole vehicle with First in West London) and I believe it has had the
air con removed as it was so unreliable.

I thought the buses used for the "Millennium Transit" from Charlton to
the tent had proper aircon installed, though I stand for correction on that?

Cheers,

Barry
Old July 25th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:12:01 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

On the 102 it would be the latter - a new Enviro 400. There is only bus
in London on TfL routes that has had proper air conditioning when built
(a sole vehicle with First in West London) and I believe it has had the
air con removed as it was so unreliable.

I thought the buses used for the "Millennium Transit" from Charlton to
the tent had proper aircon installed, though I stand for correction on that?

But they've all been sold or scrapped. You might be correct - I
honestly can't remember whether those DAF things did have air con or
not.
--
Paul C