Old August 9th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Grit in the Oyster

On 9 Aug, 19:41, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:36:23 -0700 (PDT), Boltar wrote:
If he'd been doing his job properly he'd have choisen the DES
encrypted MiFARE system, not the bargain basement hackable one thats
been around for ages.

DES is a deprecated cryptographic block cipher that falls to brute force
attacks due to its short 56-bit key. It has been superseded by AES.

Its better than bugger all encryption. AFAIK mifare doesn't support
AES.

B2003

Old August 10th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have links to the Boriswatch.co.uk blog would
you?

Er, yes. I guess using my real name didn't fool anyone, then. Back to
the drawing board.

Tom
Old August 10th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:36:23 -0700 (PDT), Boltar
wrote:

On 9 Aug, 11:27, Tom Barry wrote:
Have you got anything intelligent to say about it, or are you just
airing your well-known anti-Oyster views?

I didn't notice anyone else posting the link. What would you like, a
discourse on its technical merits?

You can post the link and comment on it without a trademark tedious
anti-Oyster rant.
Old August 10th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Aug, 14:50, James Farrar wrote:
You can post the link and comment on it without a trademark tedious
anti-Oyster rant.

No ones forcing you to read it.

B2003
Old August 10th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:16:14 -0700 (PDT), Boltar wrote:

AFAIK mifare doesn't support AES.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE , they do. The article
also mentions a replacement card for the current Oyster/MIFARE Classic card
that will support AES.

Does anyone know if these cards will be as fast as the current Oyster
cards, or if they will require travellers to hold the card still on the
reader longer?

--
jhk

Old August 11th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 10, 8:18 pm, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:16:14 -0700 (PDT), Boltar wrote:
AFAIK mifare doesn't support AES.

According tohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE, they do. The article
also mentions a replacement card for the current Oyster/MIFARE Classic card
that will support AES.

Interesting, didn't spot a mention of AES on their site, just DES, but
then I didn't look that hard. In that case theres even less excuse for
TfL to pick the bottom of the range one.

Does anyone know if these cards will be as fast as the current Oyster
cards, or if they will require travellers to hold the card still on the
reader longer?

More importantly , if they do force an upgrade are we expected to
cough up another 3 quid for a new card?

B2003

Old August 11th 08, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Aug, 09:54, Boltar wrote:
AFAIK mifare doesn't support AES.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE, they do. The article
also mentions a replacement card for the current Oyster/MIFARE Classic card
that will support AES.

Interesting, didn't spot a mention of AES on their site, just DES, but
then I didn't look that hard. In that case theres even less excuse for
TfL to pick the bottom of the range one.

Presumably because when they set the spec *ten years ago*, the card
systems didn't support AES.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old August 11th 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 11, 10:28 am, John B wrote:
Interesting, didn't spot a mention of AES on their site, just DES, but
then I didn't look that hard. In that case theres even less excuse for
TfL to pick the bottom of the range one.

Presumably because when they set the spec *ten years ago*, the card
systems didn't support AES.

FTA:

1997 — MIFARE PRO with Triple DES coprocessor introduced.

No excuse.

B2003

Old August 11th 08, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:05:47 -0700 (PDT), Boltar
wrote:

On 10 Aug, 14:50, James Farrar wrote:
You can post the link and comment on it without a trademark tedious
anti-Oyster rant.

No ones forcing you to read it.

No-one's forcing you to post it.

(Did you all spot what I did there?)
Old August 11th 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 03:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Boltar wrote:

FTA:

1997 ¡X MIFARE PRO with Triple DES coprocessor introduced.

No excuse.

But what did those cards cost back then? They were probably not cheap.

--
jhk