London Banter

-   -   Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7083-photos-details-heathrow-junction-station.html)

Mr Thant August 11th 08 11:40 AM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

For a short period in 1998 before the Heathrow Express tunnels opened,
trains started running to a temporary station called Heathrow Junction
somewhere near the tunnel mouth. Does anyone have any details about
exactly where it was and what it amounted to, or even photos of it?

Thanks,

John B August 11th 08 01:13 PM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

On Aug 11, 12:40 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
For a short period in 1998 before the Heathrow Express tunnels opened,
trains started running to a temporary station called Heathrow Junction
somewhere near the tunnel mouth. Does anyone have any details about
exactly where it was and what it amounted to, or even photos of it?

I'm assuming this isn't a return to bloggage :-(

Here's an article on the location:
http://www.glias.org.uk/news/176news.html#C

This DVD apparently has footage of the station, if you're willing to
give them GBP20:
http://www.train-crazy.co.uk/shop/pr...oducts_id=1420

I'd guess the terminus was a single-platform job on the wasteland
immediately to the east of the airport spur he
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&ll...4181,-0.448315

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Peter Masson August 11th 08 02:19 PM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

"John B" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 12:40 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
For a short period in 1998 before the Heathrow Express tunnels opened,
trains started running to a temporary station called Heathrow Junction
somewhere near the tunnel mouth. Does anyone have any details about
exactly where it was and what it amounted to, or even photos of it?

I'm assuming this isn't a return to bloggage :-(

Here's an article on the location:
http://www.glias.org.uk/news/176news.html#C

This DVD apparently has footage of the station, if you're willing to
give them GBP20:
http://www.train-crazy.co.uk/shop/pr...oducts_id=1420

I'd guess the terminus was a single-platform job on the wasteland
immediately to the east of the airport spur he
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&ll...4181,-0.448315

It operated from January to May 1998. There is a photograph in the March
1998 MR, showing an "island" platform with a single rail track one side, and
a bus for the link to the airport terminals the other side.

Peter

Roland Perry August 11th 08 02:23 PM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

In message
, at
04:40:10 on Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
For a short period in 1998 before the Heathrow Express tunnels opened,
trains started running to a temporary station called Heathrow Junction
somewhere near the tunnel mouth. Does anyone have any details about
exactly where it was and what it amounted to, or even photos of it?

If all else fails, try wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathro...ailway_station

Steve Pearce August 11th 08 04:51 PM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:23:11 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathro...ailway_station

It claims the station was in Stockley Park, I worked in Stockley Park
during this time and have no recollection of a station located there.

Roland Perry August 11th 08 05:38 PM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

In message , at 17:51:11 on
Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Steve Pearce * remarked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathro...ailway_station

It claims the station was in Stockley Park, I worked in Stockley Park
during this time and have no recollection of a station located there.

Yes, I think the station would have been south of the main line; but is
that area also known as Stockley Park (as well as the high profile
industrial area)? If not, then update the Wiki!

Railsigns.co.uk August 11th 08 05:39 PM

Photos/details of Heathrow Junction station

On Aug 11, 12:40*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
For a short period in 1998 before the Heathrow Express tunnels
opened, trains started running to a temporary station called Heathrow
Junction somewhere near the tunnel mouth. Does anyone have any
details about exactly where it was and what it amounted to, or even
photos of it?

Was it definitely named "Heathrow Junction"? I've seen official
sources calling it "London Heathrow Fast Train" station.

The station had a single platform alongside a temporary spur off the
Down Airport line. A temporary trailing crossover provided access onto
the Up Airport line.

Railway Signs and Signals of Great Britain:
http://www.railsigns.co.uk/

John Rowland August 11th 08 05:42 PM

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathro...ailway_station

It claims the station was in Stockley Park, I worked in Stockley Park
during this time and have no recollection of a station located there.

Although it was near Stockley Park, there was no road or pedestrian access
to the station from the local area.

Theo Markettos August 11th 08 06:38 PM

In uk.transport.london Roland Perry wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathro...ailway_station

The discussion page has a link to the second photo on this page:
http://www.traintesting.com/Loadbank.htm

Theo

naked_draughtsman[_2_] August 11th 08 07:36 PM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 06:13:50 -0700, John B wrote:
I'd guess the terminus was a single-platform job on the wasteland
immediately to the east of the airport spur he
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&ll...4181,-0.448315

Where the two loose rails are in between the tracks on the spur, there
appears to be a raised area if you zoom in far enough. Was this once a
platform?

peter