Old August 16th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Special train on Central Line

Cannot remember if I have asked this question before but this afternoon the
Central next train boards were showing the destination as "Special" Any
ideas?

Old August 16th 08, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Aug, 20:35, wrote:
Cannot remember if I have asked this question before but this afternoon the
Central next train boards were showing the destination as "Special" Any
ideas?

Is this simply because the line was closed between Holborn and
Liverpool Street and the ultimate destination was unknown? A 'special
service' (other than the timetabled service) would have been in
operation rather than any 'special train'
Old August 17th 08, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dB dB is offline

wrote in message
On 16 Aug, 20:35, wrote:
Cannot remember if I have asked this question before but this afternoon
the
Central next train boards were showing the destination as "Special" Any
ideas?

Is this simply because the line was closed between Holborn and
Liverpool Street and the ultimate destination was unknown? A 'special
service' (other than the timetabled service) would have been in
operation rather than any 'special train'

As a regular user of the Central line, the only times I've seen a train
shown as 'special' is when the train has been taken out of service and is on
its way back to the depot. I've never seen a 'special' train with any
passengers (sorry, customers) on board.

Old August 17th 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:53:02 +0100, "dB" wrote:

As a regular user of the Central line, the only times I've seen a train
shown as 'special' is when the train has been taken out of service and is on
its way back to the depot. I've never seen a 'special' train with any
passengers (sorry, customers) on board.

For some reason WCML Desiros use "Special" on the ends when "Not in
service" is selected for the side.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 17th 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

For some reason WCML Desiros use "Special" on the ends when "Not in
service" is selected for the side.

Assuming that the PIS on the 350s is the same as SWTs 444/450s, the
driver/guard is able to display whatever they want (I've noticed a few
450s with "Happy Christmas" on the side displays in the past!).
Obviously, the system is pre-programmed with 'regular' displays, but
this can be overridden with a few taps on the keypad.

As (AFAIK) the displays on the cabs cannot scroll, and "Not in
service" won't fit on the matrix, perhaps this is LM's reason for
electing to use "Special", as opposed to "Depot" on the south-of-the-
Thames Desiros.

Old August 17th 08, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:04:26 -0700 (PDT), M J Forbes
wrote:

Assuming that the PIS on the 350s is the same as SWTs 444/450s, the
driver/guard is able to display whatever they want (I've noticed a few
450s with "Happy Christmas" on the side displays in the past!).

Correct. I've seen "The Master Cobbler" being displayed on the 1823
to Northampton, and also "Football Special" by someone who was
obviously having a laugh.

As (AFAIK) the displays on the cabs cannot scroll, and "Not in
service" won't fit on the matrix, perhaps this is LM's reason for
electing to use "Special", as opposed to "Depot" on the south-of-the-
Thames Desiros.

"NOT IN SERVICE" in uppercase with 3-dot wide characters does fit -
I've seen it once. "Depot" does make a lot more sense, though, and
fits better with convention.

The Desiro displays indeed cannot scroll as they are the older flipdot
type rather than pure LED. (They are backlit by LED).

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 18th 08, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Aug, 08:53, "dB" wrote:
wrote in message

On 16 Aug, 20:35, wrote:
Cannot remember if I have asked this question before but this afternoon
the
Central next train boards were showing the destination as "Special" Any
ideas?

Is this simply because the line was closed between Holborn and
Liverpool Street and the ultimate destination was unknown? *A 'special
service' (other than the timetabled service) would have been in
operation rather than any 'special train'

As a regular user of the Central line, the only times I've seen a train
shown as 'special' is when the train has been taken out of service and is on
its way back to the depot. I've never seen a 'special' train with any
passengers (sorry, customers) on board.

Travel out west on a friday night on the last train and you might well
see specials coming the other way every 5 minuutes with Yellow
Battery locos pulling works trains from ruislip depot

HTH Phil
Old August 20th 08, 03:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:04:26 -0700 (PDT), M J Forbes wrote:

For some reason WCML Desiros use "Special" on the ends when "Not in
service" is selected for the side.

Assuming that the PIS on the 350s is the same as SWTs 444/450s, the
driver/guard is able to display whatever they want (I've noticed a few
450s with "Happy Christmas" on the side displays in the past!).
Obviously, the system is pre-programmed with 'regular' displays, but
this can be overridden with a few taps on the keypad.

As (AFAIK) the displays on the cabs cannot scroll, and "Not in
service" won't fit on the matrix, perhaps this is LM's reason for
electing to use "Special", as opposed to "Depot" on the south-of-the-
Thames Desiros.

SWT Desiros display "Not in use" on the cabs.
Old August 20th 08, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:04:26 -0700 (PDT), M J Forbes wrote:

For some reason WCML Desiros use "Special" on the ends when "Not in
service" is selected for the side.

Assuming that the PIS on the 350s is the same as SWTs 444/450s, the
driver/guard is able to display whatever they want (I've noticed a few
450s with "Happy Christmas" on the side displays in the past!).
Obviously, the system is pre-programmed with 'regular' displays, but
this can be overridden with a few taps on the keypad.

As (AFAIK) the displays on the cabs cannot scroll, and "Not in
service" won't fit on the matrix, perhaps this is LM's reason for
electing to use "Special", as opposed to "Depot" on the south-of-the-
Thames Desiros.

SWT Desiros display "Not in use" on the cabs.

But whatever they display on the front and sides, and whatever message they
put on the station PIS, and over the PA, pax still try and get on them as
they stand at signals in Southampton on ECS moves...

Paul