London Banter

-   -   Public transport - why? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7174-public-transport-why.html)

Paul Weaver September 25th 08 07:40 AM

Public transport - why?

On 24 Sep, 21:57, "Peter Hucker" wrote:
It's just not viable.

For a laugh (and because they just built a station next to my house) I decided to check the feasability of a train to work. *It takes twice as long and costs twice as much as by car. *(1.5 hours instead of 45 mins and 16.50 instead of 7.50)

Silly treehuggers.

Is this the same throughout the country? *I'm in central Scotland.

Nope. Train for me takes 1h05 - 1h20 depending on when I leave, car
takes 1h25 in good traffic

I also get to watch TV/read a book/reply to trolls while I'm on the
train. Either that or work, and hence leave early.

Also get to go to the pub after work

Cost wise train costs about £13 a day, car costs £11 a day in petrol
alone -- £45 a day in inland revenue mileage.

Bing Trotsky September 25th 08 10:19 AM

Public transport - why?

In article , says...
Paul Weaver writes:

On 24 Sep, 21:57, "Peter Hucker" wrote:
It's just not viable.

For a laugh (and because they just built a station next to my house) I decided to check the feasability of a train to work. *It takes twice as long and costs twice as much as by car. *(1.5 hours instead of 45 mins and 16.50 instead of 7.50)

Silly treehuggers.

Is this the same throughout the country? *I'm in central Scotland.

Nope. Train for me takes 1h05 - 1h20 depending on when I leave, car
takes 1h25 in good traffic

For me, train takes 20 minutes, door to door; the car 45-60. Cost of
train: about fiver; just parking the car costs rather more than that.

I'm in central Scotland, too.

I'm in central London. A 45 minute journey by car I can probably walk in
15 minutes.

--
eric
Live fast, die only if strictly necessary.

Sam Nelson September 25th 08 10:22 AM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
August West writes:
For me, train takes 20 minutes, door to door; the car 45-60. Cost of
train: about fiver; just parking the car costs rather more than that.

Bus to work and back would be about GBP2.50 each way (depends on the driver
and which buses turn up). They've just allowed staff to have the student-
discount card, which gets half-fare on some buses. Working out the bus-fare
is extremely complicated and effectively non-deterministic. I can't help
thinking that the bus company must like it that way.

Car takes 12-18 minutes for 6.8 miles (excluding outliers like snow/ice/fog
and obstruction by accidents) which is a little bit more than a litre of fuel
for the trip. Car-parking at works costs ~50p/day. Considering I have the
car anyway, the timing and arithmetic is pretty clear.

I'm in central Scotland, too.

Likewise. Still getting to work by car. If I need to do _anything_ other
than just go to work and come back (bit of shopping, etc.), which I do maybe
one day a week) bus is a no-hoper.
--
SAm.

Roland Perry September 25th 08 11:00 AM

Public transport - why?

In message , at 11:22:38 on Thu, 25 Sep
2008, Sam Nelson remarked:
If I need to do _anything_ other than just go to work and come back
(bit of shopping, etc.), which I do maybe one day a week) bus is a
no-hoper.

I can travel around on the bus all day for a shade over £2 (because I
have a pre-pay card) or £3 on a turn-up-and-go basis. Parking at the
station is £8 per day and you'd be lucky to find any parking in my city
centre (Nottingham) elsewhere for less than £2 per hour. I work from
home, and the parking there is free.

Sam Nelson September 25th 08 11:32 AM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
August West writes:
(Sam Nelson) writes:

I'm in central Scotland, too.

Likewise. Still getting to work by car. If I need to do _anything_
other than just go to work and come back (bit of shopping, etc.),
which I do maybe one day a week) bus is a no-hoper.

But then you essentially, and unusually, work in the countryside, so
your pressures are almost entirely the reverse of a town-worker like
me.

Pfft. I drive past a city twice a day!

For example, my office contains about 100 engineers, but there are
only 5 parking spaces for the two floors we are on. The ank & transport
company on the 4 floors above have the same ratio of staff: parking
spaces. But we are very near shops, etc.

That ank business, it's a killer.
--
SAm.

Tom Barry September 25th 08 12:43 PM

Public transport - why?

Sam Nelson wrote:

For example, my office contains about 100 engineers, but there are
only 5 parking spaces for the two floors we are on. The ank & transport
company on the 4 floors above have the same ratio of staff: parking
spaces. But we are very near shops, etc.

That ank business, it's a killer.

Tank? It's one way to turn rush hour into crush hour, I suppose. The
mpg's not brilliant.

Tom

Roland Perry September 25th 08 01:23 PM

Public transport - why?

In message , at 13:50:24 on Thu, 25
Sep 2008, August West remarked:
For example, my office contains about 100 engineers, but there are
only 5 parking spaces for the two floors we are on. The ank & transport
company on the 4 floors above have the same ratio of staff: parking
spaces. But we are very near shops, etc.

That ank business, it's a killer.

Tank? It's one way to turn rush hour into crush hour, I suppose. The
mpg's not brilliant.

bank dank hank lank rank sank tank wank yank

Take your pick as to the most likely!

Angel Trains is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland; HSBC Rail (formerly
Eversholt Leasing) by err, HSBC; and Porterbrook by Abbey National; so
that's three possible "bank and transport" companies.

Rusty Hinge September 25th 08 04:05 PM

Public transport - why?

Not in Scotland now, but bus costs me nothing (Old Codger's Pass),
long-distance coach is half fare.

Stopped using a car...

Motorbike for fun, though.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.

Rusty Hinge September 25th 08 04:16 PM

Public transport - why?

The message
from August West contains these words:

Ah, I misrepresented (missed out a comma): it's one bank, and one
transport company. And it's none of the banks menitoned above, either.
The transport company does trams.

So does Banksy

David Livingstone September 25th 08 04:32 PM

Public transport - why?

In message , Roland Perry
writes

Angel Trains is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland

They sold Angel Trains for £3.6 billion to a group lead by Babcock &
Brown
David

Roland Perry September 25th 08 08:11 PM

Public transport - why?

In message , at 17:32:59 on Thu, 25 Sep
2008, David Livingstone remarked:
Angel Trains is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland

They sold Angel Trains for £3.6 billion to a group lead by Babcock &
Brown

Someone needs to update wikipedia.

Fevric J Glandules September 25th 08 08:33 PM

Public transport - why?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:11:51 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Someone needs to update wikipedia.

And, in other news...

--
One way ticket from Mornington Crescent to Tannhauser Gate please.

Adrian September 25th 08 08:55 PM

Public transport - why?

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Someone needs to update wikipedia.

Don't let us stop you.

Roland Perry September 25th 08 09:35 PM

Public transport - why?

In message , at 20:55:43 on Thu, 25
Sep 2008, Adrian remarked:
Someone needs to update wikipedia.

Don't let us stop you.

I may do that, now the deal seems be certain; although it might be
quicker if someone more used to the wikipedia runes did it.

http://www.angeltrains.co.uk/press/release.aspx?Id=703

Willy Eckerslyke September 26th 08 08:04 AM

Public transport - why?

Sam Nelson wrote:

Bus to work and back would be about GBP2.50 each way (depends on the driver
and which buses turn up). They've just allowed staff to have the student-
discount card, which gets half-fare on some buses.

Don't suppose you have an easy link to anything about that, do you? It
could be worth suggesting hereabouts.

[email protected] September 26th 08 11:04 AM

Public transport - why?

In article , (David
Livingstone) wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes

Angel Trains is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland

They sold Angel Trains for £3.6 billion to a group lead by Babcock
& Brown

or even a group LED by Babcock & Brown. I do wish people would understand
the difference between a heavy dull grey metal and the past tense of the
verb "to lead".

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG September 26th 08 11:38 AM

Public transport - why?

On 26 Sep, 12:04, wrote:
In article , (David

Livingstone) wrote:
In message , Roland Perry
writes

& Brownhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7452205.stm

or even a group LED by Babcock & Brown. I do wish people would understand
the difference between a heavy dull grey metal and the past tense of the
verb "to lead".

Does "to lead" mean "to chastise with a bar of heavy dull grey metal
in order to deter the use of inappropriate spellings"?

Sam Nelson September 26th 08 12:00 PM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
Willy Eckerslyke writes:
Sam Nelson wrote:

Bus to work and back would be about GBP2.50 each way (depends on the driver
and which buses turn up). They've just allowed staff to have the student-
discount card, which gets half-fare on some buses.

Don't suppose you have an easy link to anything about that, do you? It
could be worth suggesting hereabouts.

It's all a bit haphazard at the moment, because apparently it's only just
happened. You go to

https://www.firstgroup.com/students/...ast/idcard.php

and answer `Staff' to the full/part-time student question. You also have
to lie about which year of study you're in. That's as much detail as I
have, right now.
--
SAm.

Willy Eckerslyke September 26th 08 01:02 PM

Public transport - why?

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Willy Eckerslyke writes:
Sam Nelson wrote:

Bus to work and back would be about GBP2.50 each way (depends on the driver
and which buses turn up). They've just allowed staff to have the student-
discount card, which gets half-fare on some buses.

Don't suppose you have an easy link to anything about that, do you? It
could be worth suggesting hereabouts.

It's all a bit haphazard at the moment, because apparently it's only just
happened. You go to

https://www.firstgroup.com/students/...ast/idcard.php

and answer `Staff' to the full/part-time student question. You also have
to lie about which year of study you're in. That's as much detail as I
have, right now.

Ta. By the time I get around to doing anything about it, they may have
got it a little more organised.

Willy Eckerslyke September 26th 08 01:11 PM

Public transport - why?

Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Willy Eckerslyke writes:
Sam Nelson wrote:

Bus to work and back would be about GBP2.50 each way (depends on the
driver
and which buses turn up). They've just allowed staff to have the
student-
discount card, which gets half-fare on some buses.

On the other hand...

I just checked and Arriva's student discounts only apply to season
tickets, so would be less appealing. Never mind.

Steve Firth September 26th 08 02:34 PM

Public transport - why?

Huge wrote:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit full. But
boy, isn't New Street a ********?

Indeed, but outside near the Royal Mail depot is an extremely fine
Indian Restaurant with a decent wine list.

OTOH, when a colleague of mine was crossing from the station to the
restaurant someone bashed him over the head with a brick and stole his
laptop.

Bing Trotsky September 26th 08 03:33 PM

Public transport - why?

In article , lid
says...

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit full.

That's about the nicest thing I've ever read about Birmingham. IMO it's a
complete ******** and a bit full.

But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's in Birmingham, what do you expect?

Could be worse though. You might have had to go to Grimsby.

Chris Eilbeck September 26th 08 04:36 PM

Public transport - why?

Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-21847775/

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Sam Nelson September 26th 08 05:10 PM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
says...
Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-21847775/

50 million for a thermonuclear device of some sort, and half a billion
for the rebuild?
--
SAm.

Steve Firth September 26th 08 05:38 PM

Public transport - why?

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

I'm still laughing at:

"this iconic new gateway to Birmingham will cement the city's place as
one of Europe's style capitals"

and

"will put Birmingham in the same league as architectural giants like
Barcelona and London"

No, please, make them stop.

Bing Trotsky September 26th 08 06:11 PM

Public transport - why?

In article ,
says...
In article ,

says...
Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/b...7319-21847775/

50 million for a thermonuclear device of some sort, and half a billion
for the rebuild?

The trick is that they are doing the rebuild in Tamworth.

Peter Hucker[_2_] September 26th 08 06:14 PM

Public transport - why?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:19:15 +0100, Bing Trotsky wrote:

In article , says...
Paul Weaver writes:

On 24 Sep, 21:57, "Peter Hucker" wrote:
It's just not viable.

For a laugh (and because they just built a station next to my house) I decided to check the feasability of a train to work. *It takes twice as long and costs twice as much as by car. *(1.5 hours instead of 45 mins and 16.50 instead of 7.50)

Silly treehuggers.

Is this the same throughout the country? *I'm in central Scotland.

Nope. Train for me takes 1h05 - 1h20 depending on when I leave, car
takes 1h25 in good traffic

For me, train takes 20 minutes, door to door; the car 45-60. Cost of
train: about fiver; just parking the car costs rather more than that.

I'm in central Scotland, too.

I'm in central London. A 45 minute journey by car I can probably walk in
15 minutes.

I think the problem is my journey is not in line with the rails. I have to change twice (the train not my clothes).

I have an LPG vehicle which is cheaper, and I drive in a non standard way which is faster.

System error 4C: kernel panic

Chris Eilbeck September 26th 08 06:22 PM

Public transport - why?

(Steve Firth) writes:

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

I'm still laughing at:

"this iconic new gateway to Birmingham will cement the city's place as
one of Europe's style capitals"

and

"will put Birmingham in the same league as architectural giants like
Barcelona and London"

No, please, make them stop.

Well we'll never get anything built in Brum like the TGV station
outside Lyon. The Victorian Society were on the local news earlier
opposing a horrible concrete tower block being pulled down and
replaced with a metal and glass one.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Rusty Hinge 2 September 26th 08 07:57 PM

Public transport - why?

The message
from Bing Trotsky contains these words:
In article , lid
says...

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit full.

That's about the nicest thing I've ever read about Birmingham. IMO it's a
complete ******** and a bit full.

But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's in Birmingham, what do you expect?

Could be worse though. You might have had to go to Grimsby.

When in Birmingham visit the Anchor at Digbeth, and find an imposing
selection of cask-conditioned ales and beers.

Puts B'ham in a whole new category - i.e.: Must Go There.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 September 26th 08 07:58 PM

Public transport - why?

The message
from (Steve Firth) contains these words:
Chris Eilbeck wrote:
Huge writes:

I went to Birmingham yesterday on the train. It was fine, if a bit
full. But boy, isn't New Street a ********?

It's better than it used to be but I guess it'll be way better when
they've spent 550 million on it.

I'm still laughing at:

"this iconic new gateway to Birmingham will cement the city's place as
one of Europe's style capitals"

and

"will put Birmingham in the same league as architectural giants like
Barcelona and London"

No, please, make them stop.

They don't combine the words 'Bull' and 'Ring' for nothing innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

bof September 26th 08 08:40 PM

Public transport - why?

In message , Peter Hucker
writes
I drive in a non standard way which is faster.

Ooh, do tell more

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Bing Trotsky September 27th 08 03:14 PM

Public transport - why?

In article , lid
says...
On 2008-09-26, Bing Trotsky wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

Could be worse though. You might have had to go to Grimsby.

I last went to Grimsby about 30 years ago. I don't recall it being particularly
horrid.

It's the combination of the biting see breeze direct from Scandanavia,
the smell of rotting fish (though not from Scandanavia), and the added
bonus of the entire contents of just about every sewer in the Midlands or
Yorkshire emptying into the Humber to wash ashore at Cleethorpes.

Peter Hucker[_2_] September 27th 08 06:15 PM

Public transport - why?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:40:24 +0100, bof wrote:

In message , Peter Hucker
writes
I drive in a non standard way which is faster.

Ooh, do tell more

Just take the highway code and burn half of it. Then remove all respect for other road users.

Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.

[email protected] September 27th 08 07:32 PM

Public transport - why?

In article , lid
(Huge) wrote:

It's in Birmingham, what do you expect?

Dunno. never been there before, so I didn't expect anything.

Some of Birmingham is very nice. My wife is from Bournville and my brother
was a student there, living in a number of West and South West Birmingham
locations, all pleasant enough.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Peter Hucker[_2_] September 30th 08 06:30 PM

Public transport - why?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:29:17 +0100, Hot Badger Deluxe wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:09:54 +0100, Owen Wilson wrote:

snip

Owen.

How much?

And why did you set FU without announcing it?

FU are for trolls.

The following is a telephone exchange between a hotel guest and room-service, at a hotel in Asia, which was recorded and published in the Far East Economic Review:

Room Service: "Morrin. Roon sirbees."

Guest: "Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service."

Room Service: "Rye..Roon sirbees..morrin! Jewish to oddor sunteen??"

Guest: "Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs."

Room Service: "Ow July den?"

Guest: "What??"

Room Service: "Ow July den?...pryed, boyud, poochd?"

Guest: "Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please."

Room Service: "Ow July dee baykem? Crease?"

Guest: "Crisp will be fine."

Room Service: "Hokay. An Sahn toes?"

Guest: "What?"

Room Service: "An toes. July Sahn toes?"

Guest: "I don't think so."

Room Service: "No? Judo wan sahn toes??"

Guest: "I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means."

Room Service: "Toes! toes!...Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we bodder?"

Guest: "English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine."

Room Service: "We bodder?"

Guest: "No...just put the bodder on the side.

Room Service: "Wad?"

Guest: "I mean butter...just put it on the side."

Room Service: "Copy?"

Guest: "Excuse me?"

Room Service: "Copy...tea...meel?"

Guest: "Yes. Coffee, please, and that's all."

Room Service: "One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy....rye??"

Guest: "Whatever you say."

Room Service: "Tenjewberrymuds."

Guest: "You're very welcome."