Old October 18th 08, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Rare Mileage in London

Well not exactly a mile - but rare. This is the temporary Overground
route from South Hampstead to Camden Road via Primrose Hill. The train
usually crawl through Primrose Hill and the old station can be easily
seen (albeit through the grime of the train windows). It appears to be
complete but somewhat covered in grafiti. Travelling back and forth
some photos can be taken of both sides of this island station.

The route also allows a bird's eye view of the devastation caused to
Camden Market this year.

This includes the damage caused by the fire at Camden Lock Market,
including the total lack of progress by Camden Council to do anything
about clearing away and repairing the damaged site. This is typical
procrastination from a Council that obviously doesn't care about the
livelihoods of the market traders and shop owners.

However the surprising other view of the Camden Market is the extent
of the devastation caused by the property developers in tearing down
the old Horse Stables and Tunnels at the other end of the Market. This
demolition and rebuiding into glass fronted office blocks will change
forever the ambiance of what remains of the Market. Indeed the
deliberate demolition by the property developers of these historic
buildings is FAR FAR worse than that caused by the fire on the other
side.

CJB.

Old October 18th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 18 Oct, 16:00, CJB wrote:
Well not exactly a mile - but rare. This is the temporary Overground
route from South Hampstead to Camden Road via Primrose Hill. The train
usually crawl through Primrose Hill and the old station can be easily
seen (albeit through the grime of the train windows). It appears to be
complete but somewhat covered in grafiti. Travelling back and forth
some photos can be taken of both sides of this island station.

Currently this is not even remotely rare track of course, as this is
the path of the rerouted and conjoined NLL + DC lines services (there
are also 2tph that run on the NLL between Stratford and Gospel Oak).
This started on 2st September and is due to end on 16 November.

This route via Primrose Hill was used fairly often before this current
work started when weekend engineering works were occuring on the NLL
between Camden Road and Willesden Junction, and I dare say it will be
used again in the future. There are some plans on the table for a
regular service along this route as far as Queen's Park or Willesden
Jn LL (all connected with the notion of the Bakerloo line's re-
extension to Watford Junction and the possible withdrawal of DC lines
services to Euston), but at the moment these are just plans and are
not being progressed.
Old October 18th 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 18 Oct, 16:30, Mizter T wrote:
Currently this is not even remotely rare track of course, as this is
the path of the rerouted and conjoined NLL + DC lines services (there
are also 2tph that run on the NLL between Stratford and Gospel Oak).
This started on 2st September and is due to end on 16 November.

Due to service disruption, the Primrose Hill train I took a couple of
weeks ago left from the Special Platform at Highbury, and ran on the
freight lines to Camden Road, non-stopping Caledonian Road. No train
regularly does both bits of rare track - though you can currently ride
on the freight lines every Sunday, normally Highbury-Gospel Oak.

Is rebuilding the Canal Market the council's responsibility? It's
privately owned.

Old October 18th 08, 05:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 18 Oct, 16:53, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 18 Oct, 16:30, Mizter T wrote:

Currently this is not even remotely rare track of course, as this is
the path of the rerouted and conjoined NLL + DC lines services (there
are also 2tph that run on the NLL between Stratford and Gospel Oak).
This started on 2st September and is due to end on 16 November.

Due to service disruption, the Primrose Hill train I took a couple of
weeks ago left from the Special Platform at Highbury, and ran on the
freight lines to Camden Road, non-stopping Caledonian Road. No train
regularly does both bits of rare track - though you can currently ride
on the freight lines every Sunday, normally Highbury-Gospel Oak.

I didn't know about the Sunday 'rare track'. Am I reading you right in
thinking that the Mon-Sat Stratford to Gospel Oak train only run
between H&I and Gospel Oak on sundays (hence the use of the H&I
special platform on Sundays to reverse)?

Is rebuilding the Canal Market the council's responsibility? It's
privately owned.

My thoughts exactly, though I wasn't 100% sure of it's ownership so I
didn't comment earlier. It's silly to bash the council out of reflex
without when it's not their responsibility, and it's also silly to
assume everything is the responsibility of local councils. Perhaps the
whole matter is in the domain of the insurers at the mo, hence the
slow progress - but that's just supposition, I'm not up on the matter.
Old October 18th 08, 07:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Is rebuilding the Canal Market the council's responsibility? It's
privately owned.

My thoughts exactly, though I wasn't 100% sure of it's ownership so I
didn't comment earlier. It's silly to bash the council out of reflex
without when it's not their responsibility, and it's also silly to
assume everything is the responsibility of local councils. Perhaps the
whole matter is in the domain of the insurers at the mo, hence the
slow progress - but that's just supposition, I'm not up on the matter.

That said, The Hawley Arms has been rebuilt and is due to reopen in the next
couple of weeks - so not everyone is dragging their feet in getting the
damage repaired and the area back to normal.

Old October 18th 08, 11:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Oct 18, 8:27*pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

Is rebuilding the Canal Market the council's responsibility? It's
privately owned.

My thoughts exactly, though I wasn't 100% sure of it's ownership so I
didn't comment earlier. It's silly to bash the council out of reflex
without when it's not their responsibility, and it's also silly to
assume everything is the responsibility of local councils. Perhaps the
whole matter is in the domain of the insurers at the mo, hence the
slow progress - but that's just supposition, I'm not up on the matter.

That said, The Hawley Arms has been rebuilt and is due to reopen in the next
couple of weeks - so not everyone is dragging their feet in getting the
damage repaired and the area back to normal.

Camden Market rebuilding.

The Hawley Arms is nowhere near re-opening. The Council is insisting
upon better emergency exits which is causing an amount of rebuilding
above repairing the damage from the fire.

I also understand from the Camden Journal that it is the Council's
Planning Department that is dragging its feet about the rebuilding of
the Lock Market. I expect that the propery developers are also eyeing
up the site for yet more glass fronted office blocks.

However as I said - the greatest destruction is from the greedy
property developers in turning the old horse tunnels and hospital into
glass fronted offices.

CJB.
Old October 19th 08, 01:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

CJB wrote:

The Hawley Arms is nowhere near re-opening.

Not according to the press last week, which included interviews with the
licencee, who was expecting the builders to be out within ten days.

The Council is insisting upon better emergency exits which is causing an
amount of rebuilding
above repairing the damage from the fire.

Quite possibly may be the result of a subsequent inspection, owners have a
habit of being over-optimistic and jumping the gun!