Old October 21st 08, 12:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Secret tunnels up for sale - BBC News

On Oct 20, 1:57*pm, Jamie Thompson wrote:
On 20 Oct, 12:47, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 20 Oct, 12:24, Jamie *Thompson wrote:

I was of the impression that the tunnel sections built were locations
where there would *not* be stations, and thus were normal running
tunnels, abet larger for the airflow related to higher speeds.

They are. A quick Google says 16 foot 6, which is about the same as
the Northern City Line runnint tunnels and slightly larger than the
Jubliee Line extension. Certainly not big enough for station tunnels.

(I'd guess that the diameter was chosen to accommodate two floors of
shelter rather than for a particular size of train)

As an aside for anyone else, I believe the reason the heavily
overloaded southern stretch of the Northern has the longest (planned)
chain of the shelters (Oval to Clapham South - 5 stations) was because
the intent for the express route was to continue westwards from South
Wimbledon and take over one/some of the National Rail lines from
Raynes Park, (probably calling at Wimbledon Chase). Hence the sharp
southerly curve to Morden en route to Sutton. I'd expect an express
line to stop at Kennington and Camden Town, so the shelter at Camden
Town is somewhat of an anomaly.

IMHO, a main line loading gauge, express, Northern Line still has
merits

Old October 24th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

IMHO, a main line loading gauge, express, Northern Line still has
merits-

Yes but how would you pay for it?
Old October 24th 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Oct 24, 8:31*am, Stephen Allcroft
wrote:
IMHO, a main line loading gauge, express, Northern Line still has
merits-

Yes but how would you pay for it?

In the unlikely event that HMG should agree, I guess it would be
Crossrail 4. It might function like an RER line in Paris. One
could,say, link Chessington and Leatherhead with Northampton by way of
Charing Cross, Tottenham Court Road and Euston.

This will never happen, but I imagine the hard pressed commuters on
the Morden Branch of the Northern Line would enjoy the Express
Option. :-)

So, to answer your question it would have to be financed much like
Crossrail one, and after Chelsey to Hackney and whatever Crossrail
three is/was supposed to be!

The economy will have to be resued first.
Old October 24th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:
IMHO, a main line loading gauge, express, Northern Line still has
merits-

Yes but how would you pay for it?

In the unlikely event that HMG should agree, I guess it would be
Crossrail 4. It might function like an RER line in Paris. One
could, say, link Chessington and Leatherhead with Northampton by way
of
Charing Cross, Tottenham Court Road and Euston.
This will never happen, but I imagine the hard pressed commuters on
the Morden Branch of the Northern Line would enjoy the Express
Option. :-)
So, to answer your question it would have to be financed much like
Crossrail one, and after Chelsey to Hackney and whatever Crossrail
three is/was supposed to be!
The economy will have to be rescued first.
Old October 25th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

IMHO, a main line loading gauge, express, Northern Line still has
merits-

Yes but how would you pay for it?

In the unlikely event that HMG should agree, I guess it would be
Crossrail 4. It might function like an RER line in Paris. *One
could, say, link Chessington and Leatherhead with Northampton by way
of
Charing Cross, Tottenham Court Road and Euston.
This will never happen, but I imagine the hard pressed commuters on
the Morden Branch of the Northern Line would enjoy the Express
Option. *:-)
So, to answer your question it would have to be financed much like
Crossrail one, and after Chelsey to Hackney and whatever Crossrail
three is/was supposed to be!
The economy will have to be rescued first.

Yes, and the "northern home counties" is already rather densely
populated, you couldn't raise the money the way the Metropolitan
Railway did by selling land to housing developers.