Old October 23rd 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boris admits bendy-buses are safe - but he'll axe them anyway

On Oct 23, 1:24 am, John B wrote:
I'd be interested to see a breakdown of fatalities/injuries by HGV
class. My expectation would be that big vans were by far the biggest
killers, not least because 40-tonne container trucks and cement

Them and 7.5 tonners who as far as I can see are generally driven by
transit drivers who've been given a promotion for the day.

B2003

Old October 23rd 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On Oct 23, 1:24 am, John B wrote:
I'd be interested to see a breakdown of fatalities/injuries by HGV
class. My expectation would be that big vans were by far the biggest
killers, not least because 40-tonne container trucks and cement

Them and 7.5 tonners who as far as I can see are generally driven by
transit drivers who've been given a promotion for the day.

You would both be wrong. Badly-driven vans and LGVs may cause injuries,
but rarely fatalities. In London this year 9 out of 11 cyclist
fatalities have involved HGVs. The long-term average is about 50%.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.