Old November 10th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

"David Cantrell" wrote:
3) instead of saying "Denmark Street" say "Denmark Street, Charing Cross
Road" (and similar for other stops which aren't actually on the
street they're named after, or which are named for a nearby
building).
Someone I mentioned number 3 to a few weeks ago said it would be
confusing. Well, if it is, then I suppose that Dean St, Chinatown and
Green Park, Constitution Hill need changing. No doubt there are others.

I think it needs to be 'on their merits' (as it currently is). In many cases
a cross street or area can be helpful - but not always.

Another anomoly is where a route reaches a 'focal point' - for example, the
393 from Chalk Farm eventually reaches 'Holloway Road, Nag's Head', then
turns right and proceeds to 'Holloway Road, Nag's Head'.

I keep meaning to check whether the buses heading from Archway to Highbury
Corner (271, 43; North-South) do the same thing.
--

Andrew

Old November 10th 08, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:27:49 -0000, "John Holt"
wrote:

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

Yes. It's very useful to those who don't use buses frequently, aren't
familiar with the route or aren't paying attention to where they are
and reading the paper. Or, for that matter, those who are blind.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. More,
please.

Neil

I have noticed sometimes that the displays will be working, but that there
is no sound, and I have often wondered if this is because drivers had had
enough of hearing the announcements and decided to switch it off.

BTW, why is there a pause on some of the bendibusses between when you push
the button and hearing the bell and seeing the acknowledge sign light up?
That was not the case in earlier days and it is currently not the case on
all bendibus lines.

Old November 10th 08, 11:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

sweek wrote

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they

should
display on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

They may *think* they know - and be mistaken.

Does every London bus now have route number and direction on the front,
back and over every entrance ?

Buses that will turn short of the usual destination and buses in
opposite directions that call at the same stop are a particular
problem.

--
Mike D

Old November 11th 08, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Nov, 15:27, "John Holt" wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted out
every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to attempt
to drown out the background hell...

The drivers must be driven to distraction now having to listen to this ****
all day long, on top of all the other noise pollution (such as beep, beep
beeping doors and screeching children).

A reply to my recent enquiry/complaint to London Buses about it says more
"alight her for (places of interest) will be added to the existing frequent
recorded announcements on all buses by 2009".

So basically, too many intrusive loud announcements on every bus already and
more to be added next year.

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

:O(

I really like them, I don't find them that intrusive, especially when
she says 'Seats are available on the upper deck', as the morons on my
local route, 417, are frightened of stairs it seems and bunch around
the front doors.

She also drowns out the sound from leaking headphones, which is much
more of a distraction.
Old November 11th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 11, 10:01*am, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 11/11/08 08:20, in article
, "Railist"

wrote:

I really like them, I don't find them that intrusive, especially when
she says 'Seats are available on the upper deck', as the morons on my
local route, 417, are frightened of stairs it seems and bunch around
the front doors.

She also drowns out the sound from leaking headphones, which is much
more of a distraction.

I find they're a bit loud on some buses.

Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

I've heard:

'Bus will wait here whilst drivers are changed'

'Bus will wait here for a few minutes in order to help regulate the service'

'The next bus stop is closed'

And a couple of others that I can't remember.

I anecdoted in the past that I was on a 21 in the Old Kent Road which,
every time it was displaying "21 to Lewisham Centre" actually
announced "Crystal Palace" (although it was correct at announcing the
stops on the approach).

A place name on its own doesn't even seem to be a normal
announcement. (Has New Cross garage got any routes that even go to
Crystal Palace?)

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...
Old November 11th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Not that I can think of, in fact I cannot think of any bus that even
passes the garage that goes there.

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...

you do get some funny ones sometimes, I was on a 484 a few weeks ago
which suddenly announced that there were more seats available on the
upper deck, unfortunately being a single decker we were unable to access
said upper deck, the bus only had a few people on board, we were all in
fits of laughter, including the driver, who apparently had no control over
the content of the messages.

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old November 11th 08, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:01:05 -0800 (PST), sweek
wrote:

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they should
play on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

I suppose it is to that anyone boarding knows they are on the right
bus. But you have a point. If the bus stop has a visual display maybe
there should be announcements also. Could be a bit annoying for
anyone living next to a bus stop though!

It actually is. I have a friend who lived in the United States and whose
window is just outside a bus stop. A few years back, he started hearing
Route 2 ... to ... XXX.

And it hasn't stopped since. Fortunately, they are not as big on public
transport in the United States as in Europe, so the announcements don't
happen as frequently.

Old November 11th 08, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Nov, 16:55, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"John Holt" wrote ...

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted
out every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to
attempt to drown out the background hell...

Do what the regulars do - ignore it.

After the first few trips, you won't even notice, and they are useful for
tourists and others.

I don't know which route you take, but on the many routes I travel, they are
not as frequent as you state.

Or get an iPod?

Did you even read the text you quoted?

no escape from it, **even with earphones in** to attempt to drown out the background hell...

The correct solution of course is to get a bike and avoid te
disgusting dangerous things (buses and ipods really)
Old November 11th 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote...
Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements
blasted
out every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in
attempt to drown out the background hell...

Do what the regulars do - ignore it.
After the first few trips, you won't even notice, and they are useful for
tourists and others.
I don't know which route you take, but on the many routes I travel, they
are
not as frequent as you state.
Or get an iPod?

Did you even read the text you quoted?

Yes, thanks - but when I respond to the ramblings of an idiot, I try to take
events in the real world into consideration.

I repeat:
Do what the regulars do - ignore it.
After the first few trips, you won't even notice.
[added: unless you choose to make a mission out of it]