London Banter

-   -   Constant anouncements on London Buses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7261-constant-anouncements-london-buses.html)

John Holt November 9th 08 02:27 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted out
every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to attempt
to drown out the background hell...

The drivers must be driven to distraction now having to listen to this ****
all day long, on top of all the other noise pollution (such as beep, beep
beeping doors and screeching children).

A reply to my recent enquiry/complaint to London Buses about it says more
"alight her for (places of interest) will be added to the existing frequent
recorded announcements on all buses by 2009".

So basically, too many intrusive loud announcements on every bus already and
more to be added next year.

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

:O(

Mizter T November 9th 08 03:29 PM

On 9 Nov, 15:27, "John Holt" wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted out
every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to attempt
to drown out the background hell...

The drivers must be driven to distraction now having to listen to this ****
all day long, on top of all the other noise pollution (such as beep, beep
beeping doors and screeching children).

A reply to my recent enquiry/complaint to London Buses about it says more
"alight her for (places of interest) will be added to the existing frequent
recorded announcements on all buses by 2009".

So basically, too many intrusive loud announcements on every bus already and
more to be added next year.

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

:O(

Continuing his drive for 'taxpayer value' Mayor Boris has announced
that companies will have the opportunity to sponsor bus stops and
advertise their wares on-board buses via the PA system - e.g. "alight
here for the Harrod's Half-Price sale, where a pack of Harrod's HB
pencils can now be yours for under a hundred pounds". Rumours that
companies might be allowed to sponsor entire routes have not been
denied.

Andrew Heenan November 9th 08 03:55 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

"John Holt" wrote ...
Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted
out every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to
attempt to drown out the background hell...

Do what the regulars do - ignore it.

After the first few trips, you won't even notice, and they are useful for
tourists and others.

I don't know which route you take, but on the many routes I travel, they are
not as frequent as you state.

Or get an iPod?
--

Andrew

Tom Barry November 9th 08 04:13 PM

Mizter T wrote:

Continuing his drive for 'taxpayer value' Mayor Boris has announced
that companies will have the opportunity to sponsor bus stops and
advertise their wares on-board buses via the PA system - e.g. "alight
here for the Harrod's Half-Price sale, where a pack of Harrod's HB
pencils can now be yours for under a hundred pounds". Rumours that
companies might be allowed to sponsor entire routes have not been
denied.

That's daft. It's not daft just to announce the next stop, however, in
fact it's very useful if you're on a crowded bus in the rain and can't
see out clearly.

It does have to be mentioned IIRC that the Viacom Tube advertising
contract (which includes the digital moving display stuff) apparently
paid for the bus fares to be kept down to 90p. If Boris wants to use
advertising revenue to keep fares down, that's fine by me, but
everything that's come out says he's going to put fares up above
inflation every year, so presumably you'll pay more to get blasted with
advertising. Add that to the complete lack of investment in developing
new projects and I think we're in the process of being taken for a ride
here - it's not as if TfL is even funded by London taxpayers, it's
general taxation subsidy plus fare income. If Conservative policy is
that they're not interested in creating a better transport system why
are the fares going up? Is Boris under orders to hand back some of the
£40bn TfL settlement to a future Conservative Chancellor for national
tax cuts, or something?

Tom

Neil Williams November 9th 08 04:15 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:27:49 -0000, "John Holt"
wrote:

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

Yes. It's very useful to those who don't use buses frequently, aren't
familiar with the route or aren't paying attention to where they are
and reading the paper. Or, for that matter, those who are blind.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. More,
please.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Q November 9th 08 06:09 PM

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. More,
please.

What we *really* want is to replace the front destination blind with a nice
big LED display.

Richard November 9th 08 06:35 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:15:08 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:27:49 -0000, "John Holt"
wrote:

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

Yes. [...]

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

I think we could probably do without the spoken route announcement and
just leave it as something to be displayed, like in Paris. Another
feature of the Parisian system is (again, only displayed and not read
out) an estimated journey time to the next major destination and
terminus. This seems to be done in real-time and is quite useful.

I find the route announcement grating only because of the annoying
pauses in it. I had assumed that this was something to be fixed later
but I'm still waiting! Can anyone confirm that iBus installation has
swept away the awful arse-covering door opening and closing
announcements on some London Central/General buses? Now *they* were
annoying.

Richard.

Paul Terry[_2_] November 9th 08 06:49 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

In message , John Holt
writes

Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted out
every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to attempt
to drown out the background hell...

On the 33, the route I use most often, the announcements are almost too
quiet to hear, so I imagine there must be a volume control. Have you
tried asking the driver if it can be adjusted?

--
Paul Terry

Batman55 November 9th 08 06:54 PM

"Q" ..@.. wrote in message ...

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. More,
please.

What we *really* want is to replace the front destination blind with a
nice big LED display.

Not always useful! I ran across the forecourt at London Bridge last week to
jump on what I assumed to be a 149 (bendy) to Liverpool St, only to find the
internal display said "521 to Waterloo". I slunk off shamefacedly feeling
like a tourist.

MaxB

Scott November 9th 08 08:22 PM

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted out
every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to attempt
to drown out the background hell...

The drivers must be driven to distraction now having to listen to this ****
all day long, on top of all the other noise pollution (such as beep, beep
beeping doors and screeching children).

A reply to my recent enquiry/complaint to London Buses about it says more
"alight her for (places of interest) will be added to the existing frequent
recorded announcements on all buses by 2009".

So basically, too many intrusive loud announcements on every bus already and
more to be added next year.

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

:O(

Is it not a Disability Discrimination Act requirement? It means those
visually impaired will know where and when to get off.

sweek November 9th 08 10:01 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they should
play on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

Mizter T November 9th 08 11:46 PM

On 9 Nov, 19:09, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote:

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. *More,
please.

What we *really* want is to replace the front destination blind with a nice
big LED display.

We do, do we? Err... why do we want this?

Edward Cowling London UK November 10th 08 08:43 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

In message , John Holt
writes
Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

I feel the same about the beeping before the doors close on the Tube.
It's easy to understand why the jobs worths at TFL think audible warning
and information are a good idea. i.e. Little old ladies get caught in
the doors less and get off at the right stop more often :-)

But I think they underestimate the effect of noise pollution in an
already noisy world. Like you I find most bus journeys of more than a
couple of stops very unpleasant. But lets face it buses have been little
more than 4 wheeled drop in centres for years :-)

--
Edward Cowling "'Cause onces a good girl goes bad
We gone forever"

Q November 10th 08 09:07 AM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 9 Nov, 19:09, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

What we *really* want is to replace the front destination blind with a
nice
big LED display.

We do, do we? Err... why do we want this?

So that on cold wind swept evenings while waiting at a stop which serves 6
buses all of which have non working front blind illumination we don't miss
the one we want...

And the LED displays are much clearer than the paper blinds - and LED's
don't fade in the sun, and don't require a back-light

Andrew Heenan November 10th 08 09:29 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote
I feel the same about the beeping before the doors close on the Tube. It's
easy to understand why the jobs worths at TFL think audible warning and
information are a good idea. i.e. Little old ladies get caught in the
doors less and get off at the right stop more often :-)
But I think they underestimate the effect of noise pollution in an already
noisy world. Like you I find most bus journeys of more than a couple of
stops very unpleasant. But lets face it buses have been little more than 4
wheeled drop in centres for years :-)

Easy to sneer now; but you'll be a little old lady one day, and may be
grateful for some of the annoying safety features.

And it's easy to blame 'jobsworths', while European law is behind most, and
UK law accounts for the rest. My guess is is that TfL cares for the less
fit and able no more than you do. Sad old world, but there ya go.
--

Andrew

Alek Smart.[_2_] November 10th 08 09:39 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

Errr,Q Have you visited Edinburgh lately..?

Fleet full of absolutely sparkling and totally legible white-on-black
"traditional" scrolls,even the 10 year old buses readable at a distance.

Crisp white backlights AND many vehicles with Side and Rear displays showing
the End Destination also.
All backed up with Parisian style interior rolling "Next Stop" digital
panels on the newer vehicles.

Crikey,the canny Scots even had "Rugby Special" panels for the Murrayfield
specials on the Via scroll.

Then for the really inquisitive traveller Lothian resort to slide-in boards
attached to the front panel for odd workings/intermediate destinations.

IMHO Lothians standard should be adopted by the Industry generally as THE
one to aim for.

PS: An Edinburgh trip also allows direct side-by-side comparison between a
10 year old Lothian "Paper" scroll and a sparkling new First Group LED with
a lenghty Scots placename squeezed into the available space so that its
impossible to differentiate between the numbers and the letters.

Scott November 10th 08 09:51 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:01:05 -0800 (PST), sweek
wrote:

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they should
play on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

I suppose it is to that anyone boarding knows they are on the right
bus. But you have a point. If the bus stop has a visual display maybe
there should be announcements also. Could be a bit annoying for
anyone living next to a bus stop though!

Edward Cowling London UK November 10th 08 12:08 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

In message , Andrew Heenan
writes
stops very unpleasant. But lets face it buses have been little more than 4
wheeled drop in centres for years :-)

Easy to sneer now; but you'll be a little old lady one day,

Oh no I won't !!

There may be lots of things getting cut off during the recession, but my
balls won't be one of them :-)

Q November 10th 08 12:29 PM

"Alek Smart." wrote in message
Errr,Q Have you visited Edinburgh lately..?

Not for a while now no, and the last time I did and used a bus it was a
different experience (not knowing how much it cost for a night bus didn't
help)

Fleet full of absolutely sparkling and totally legible white-on-black
"traditional" scrolls,even the 10 year old buses readable at a distance.

The ones we have here start there life as bright yellow on black and fade
somewhat.

Crisp white backlights AND many vehicles with Side and Rear displays
showing the End Destination also.

The last time I waited in the city for a night bus of the 5 that arrived at
the same time, only 1 had a working back-light. I don't know if the others
had a fault, or where just switched off.

All backed up with Parisian style interior rolling "Next Stop" digital
panels on the newer vehicles.

Crikey,the canny Scots even had "Rugby Special" panels for the Murrayfield
specials on the Via scroll.

I have seen some funny things displayed on buses in London including
'Nottingham' many years ago on one of my then local routes.

The displays used by one of the tourist routes are more what I was thinking.
A big LED number and final destination, with either a fixed 'via' or
scrolling.

David Cantrell November 10th 08 01:30 PM

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 05:15:08PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Yes. It's very useful to those who don't use buses frequently, aren't
familiar with the route or aren't paying attention to where they are
and reading the paper. Or, for that matter, those who are blind.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

I'd make several changes.

1) instead of saying "Foo Street" say "the next stop is Foo Street"

2) instead of saying "the destination of this bus has changed" say "the
destination of this bus has changed to Foo"

3) instead of saying "Denmark Street" say "Denmark Street, Charing Cross
Road" (and similar for other stops which aren't actually on the
street they're named after, or which are named for a nearby
building).

and get rid of the ones telling you what route you're on and where it's
going entirely. You already know that before you get on the bus.

Someone I mentioned number 3 to a few weeks ago said it would be
confusing. Well, if it is, then I suppose that Dean St, Chinatown and
Green Park, Constitution Hill need changing. No doubt there are others.

All children should be aptitude-tested at an early age and,
if their main or only aptitude is for marketing, drowned.

Andrew Heenan November 10th 08 01:49 PM

"David Cantrell" wrote:
3) instead of saying "Denmark Street" say "Denmark Street, Charing Cross
Road" (and similar for other stops which aren't actually on the
street they're named after, or which are named for a nearby
building).
Someone I mentioned number 3 to a few weeks ago said it would be
confusing. Well, if it is, then I suppose that Dean St, Chinatown and
Green Park, Constitution Hill need changing. No doubt there are others.

I think it needs to be 'on their merits' (as it currently is). In many cases
a cross street or area can be helpful - but not always.

Another anomoly is where a route reaches a 'focal point' - for example, the
393 from Chalk Farm eventually reaches 'Holloway Road, Nag's Head', then
turns right and proceeds to 'Holloway Road, Nag's Head'.

I keep meaning to check whether the buses heading from Archway to Highbury
Corner (271, 43; North-South) do the same thing.
--

Andrew

No Name November 10th 08 08:48 PM

wrote:

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

Yes. It's very useful to those who don't use buses frequently, aren't
familiar with the route or aren't paying attention to where they are
and reading the paper. Or, for that matter, those who are blind.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

On-board stop displays and announcements have been used for years in
mainland Europe, and it was about time they made it to the UK. More,
please.

Neil

I have noticed sometimes that the displays will be working, but that there
is no sound, and I have often wondered if this is because drivers had had
enough of hearing the announcements and decided to switch it off.

BTW, why is there a pause on some of the bendibusses between when you push
the button and hearing the bell and seeing the acknowledge sign light up?
That was not the case in earlier days and it is currently not the case on
all bendibus lines.

Michael R N Dolbear November 10th 08 11:21 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

sweek wrote

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they

should
display on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

They may *think* they know - and be mistaken.

Does every London bus now have route number and direction on the front,
back and over every entrance ?

Buses that will turn short of the usual destination and buses in
opposite directions that call at the same stop are a particular
problem.

--
Mike D

Railist November 11th 08 07:20 AM

On 9 Nov, 15:27, "John Holt" wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else find travelling on any London bus now
COMPLETELY HIDEOUS?

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted out
every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to attempt
to drown out the background hell...

The drivers must be driven to distraction now having to listen to this ****
all day long, on top of all the other noise pollution (such as beep, beep
beeping doors and screeching children).

A reply to my recent enquiry/complaint to London Buses about it says more
"alight her for (places of interest) will be added to the existing frequent
recorded announcements on all buses by 2009".

So basically, too many intrusive loud announcements on every bus already and
more to be added next year.

And this is called 'progress' ????!!!!

:O(

I really like them, I don't find them that intrusive, especially when
she says 'Seats are available on the upper deck', as the morons on my
local route, 417, are frightened of stairs it seems and bunch around
the front doors.

She also drowns out the sound from leaking headphones, which is much
more of a distraction.

Stephen Furley November 11th 08 09:01 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On 11/11/08 08:20, in article
, "Railist"
wrote:

I really like them, I don't find them that intrusive, especially when
she says 'Seats are available on the upper deck', as the morons on my
local route, 417, are frightened of stairs it seems and bunch around
the front doors.

She also drowns out the sound from leaking headphones, which is much
more of a distraction.

I find they're a bit loud on some buses.

Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

I've heard:

'Bus will wait here whilst drivers are changed'

'Bus will wait here for a few minutes in order to help regulate the service'

'The next bus stop is closed'

And a couple of others that I can't remember.

MIG November 11th 08 10:21 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Nov 11, 10:01*am, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 11/11/08 08:20, in article
, "Railist"

wrote:

I really like them, I don't find them that intrusive, especially when
she says 'Seats are available on the upper deck', as the morons on my
local route, 417, are frightened of stairs it seems and bunch around
the front doors.

She also drowns out the sound from leaking headphones, which is much
more of a distraction.

I find they're a bit loud on some buses.

Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

I've heard:

'Bus will wait here whilst drivers are changed'

'Bus will wait here for a few minutes in order to help regulate the service'

'The next bus stop is closed'

And a couple of others that I can't remember.

I anecdoted in the past that I was on a 21 in the Old Kent Road which,
every time it was displaying "21 to Lewisham Centre" actually
announced "Crystal Palace" (although it was correct at announcing the
stops on the approach).

A place name on its own doesn't even seem to be a normal
announcement. (Has New Cross garage got any routes that even go to
Crystal Palace?)

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...

Martin Smith[_3_] November 11th 08 11:21 AM

wrote:

[...]

Not that I can think of, in fact I cannot think of any bus that even
passes the garage that goes there.

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...

you do get some funny ones sometimes, I was on a 484 a few weeks ago
which suddenly announced that there were more seats available on the
upper deck, unfortunately being a single decker we were unable to access
said upper deck, the bus only had a few people on board, we were all in
fits of laughter, including the driver, who apparently had no control over
the content of the messages.

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.

No Name November 11th 08 05:12 PM

wrote:

I just really don't see the point in the "29 ... to ... Leicester
Square" announcement every stop. This seems like something they should
play on the outside of the bus. The people already on the bus know
where it's going!

I suppose it is to that anyone boarding knows they are on the right
bus. But you have a point. If the bus stop has a visual display maybe
there should be announcements also. Could be a bit annoying for
anyone living next to a bus stop though!

It actually is. I have a friend who lived in the United States and whose
window is just outside a bus stop. A few years back, he started hearing
Route 2 ... to ... XXX.

And it hasn't stopped since. Fortunately, they are not as big on public
transport in the United States as in Europe, so the announcements don't
happen as frequently.

Paul Weaver November 11th 08 05:32 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On 9 Nov, 16:55, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"John Holt" wrote ...

Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements blasted
out every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in to
attempt to drown out the background hell...

Do what the regulars do - ignore it.

After the first few trips, you won't even notice, and they are useful for
tourists and others.

I don't know which route you take, but on the many routes I travel, they are
not as frequent as you state.

Or get an iPod?

Did you even read the text you quoted?

no escape from it, **even with earphones in** to attempt to drown out the background hell...

The correct solution of course is to get a bike and avoid te
disgusting dangerous things (buses and ipods really)

Andrew Heenan November 11th 08 05:43 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

"Paul Weaver" wrote...
Constant, loud, intrusive and unnecessary recorded announcements
blasted
out every 15-20 seconds and no escape from it, even with earphones in
attempt to drown out the background hell...

Do what the regulars do - ignore it.
After the first few trips, you won't even notice, and they are useful for
tourists and others.
I don't know which route you take, but on the many routes I travel, they
are
not as frequent as you state.
Or get an iPod?

Did you even read the text you quoted?

Yes, thanks - but when I respond to the ramblings of an idiot, I try to take
events in the real world into consideration.

I repeat:
Do what the regulars do - ignore it.
After the first few trips, you won't even notice.
[added: unless you choose to make a mission out of it]

Paul Weaver November 11th 08 08:39 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On 11 Nov, 18:43, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"Paul Weaver" wrote...
[...]

I dont state any frequencies, buses are a distress purchase, however
the OP has already stated that earphones don't work. The problem is
with your suggestion that spending £200 on a fashion accessory will
somehow make them work.

Mizter T November 11th 08 08:46 PM

On 11 Nov, 21:39, Paul Weaver wrote:
[...] buses are a distress purchase [...]

Disagree most strongly in the case of London, although absolutely
acknowledge that fellow fellow passengers are capable of making
journeys distressing.

Andrew Heenan November 11th 08 09:24 PM

"Paul Weaver" wrote :
I dont state any frequencies, buses are a distress purchase,
however the OP has already stated that earphones don't work.
The problem is with your suggestion that spending £200
on a fashion accessory will somehow make them work.

Sure, he did state that headphones don't work; he must have weird hearing
or - more likely - he's making it up as he goes along. If an iPhone costs so
much (I wouldn't know - I don't buy fashion accessories), then a standard
MP3 player or a cassette player at £9 or less will suffice. Batteries not
included.

Or a good book.

Alternatively, he could stop foaming at the mouth and exaggerating both
noise level and frequency of announcements and get a life. Sadly, however,
we have to live with the fact that there's no cure for rabies.
--

Andrew

David Cantrell November 12th 08 11:49 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:01:43AM +0000, Stephen Furley wrote:

'The next bus stop is closed'

That one *really* needs to be automated so that drivers can't forget to
tell passengers.

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.

James Farrar November 13th 08 07:37 AM

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:07:59 -0000, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

And the LED displays are much clearer than the paper blinds

Disagree. The one thing I hate about the D stock refurb is that the
destination is much harder to read from a distance.

James Farrar November 13th 08 07:45 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:30:40 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 05:15:08PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Yes. It's very useful to those who don't use buses frequently, aren't
familiar with the route or aren't paying attention to where they are
and reading the paper. Or, for that matter, those who are blind.

The only thing I'd change about it is to have the route announcement
either removed or only announced every few stops, as it's that (not
the stop announcements) that does grate a bit.

I'd make several changes.

1) instead of saying "Foo Street" say "the next stop is Foo Street"

I would agree, except that you know it would go "the next stop is big
pause Foo Street"...

2) instead of saying "the destination of this bus has changed" say "the
destination of this bus has changed to Foo"

Absolutely. The one time that happened to me I had to ask the driver
because we were stuck in traffic and hence weren't going to reach a
stop for a while.

3) instead of saying "Denmark Street" say "Denmark Street, Charing Cross
Road" (and similar for other stops which aren't actually on the
street they're named after, or which are named for a nearby
building).

The announcements match the name of the stop as displayed on the flag.
There are some two-part stop names; if you have suggestions for
renaming of particular stops to avoid confusion in those cases, I'm
sure TfL would consider them.

and get rid of the ones telling you what route you're on and where it's
going entirely. You already know that before you get on the bus.

True. What I would do is add an external speaker to announce the route
umber and destination to passengers waiting to board. That would help
blind passengers, and possibly others. OTOH, it might **** off
residents...

Someone I mentioned number 3 to a few weeks ago said it would be
confusing. Well, if it is, then I suppose that Dean St, Chinatown and
Green Park, Constitution Hill need changing. No doubt there are others.

I have to say, I love iBus. When I travel somewhere for the first
time, I get the stop name I need to get off at, and just wait for it
to be announced. What it is doesn't necessarily matter.

James Farrar November 13th 08 07:47 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:21:12 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

I anecdoted in the past that [...]

You're verbing!

Verbing weirds language...

James Farrar November 13th 08 07:50 AM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:01:43 +0000, Stephen Furley
wrote:

Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

I've heard:

'Bus will wait here whilst drivers are changed'

'Bus will wait here for a few minutes in order to help regulate the service'

'The next bus stop is closed'

And a couple of others that I can't remember.

Seats are available on the upper deck (as someone else mentioned).

No standing on the upper deck or stairs.

I think I'v heard no smoking and cctv messages too, though I could be
confused with something else.

What there needs to be is a "no playing music out loud" - I was driven
off the upper deck of a 65 the other week by an antisocial *******
playing tinny music on a mobile (who was utterly unaware of why I was
glaring at him!) - I asked the driver if he had such a message to play
but he denied it.

Neil Williams November 13th 08 08:54 PM

Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:45:36 +0000, James Farrar
wrote:

I would agree, except that you know it would go "the next stop is big
pause Foo Street"...

And "the next stop" would get annoying. Originally, they used to say
"Route NN to XX", and the "Route" was dropped, presumably for that
reason.

I have to say, I love iBus. When I travel somewhere for the first
time, I get the stop name I need to get off at, and just wait for it
to be announced. What it is doesn't necessarily matter.

I like it as well. It's one of the best things you can do to buses to
make them accessible to blind people, people who don't know the route
and people who just want to read the paper and not look out of the
window. A massive leap for passenger-friendliness, though admittedly
well behind the rest of Europe who've had it for years.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams November 14th 08 09:08 AM

On 10 Nov, 21:48, wrote:

BTW, why is there a pause on some of the bendibusses between when you push
the button and hearing the bell and seeing the acknowledge sign light up?
That was not the case in earlier days and it is currently not the case on
all bendibus lines.

I *think* it's because the bell pushes aren't connected to a relay
like they are in a traditional bus, but instead are multiplexed. It
might even be iBus that controls it, but I'm not sure.

It's also the case on the Enviros that do the 135 to Canary Wharf (by
far the most civilised way of getting there that you don't have to pay
extra for).

Neil