Old November 29th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Public Telephones In Underground System?

Hello all, I'm putting together a collection of payphones in london
(and later on around the world). The payphones are each ocompanied by
a picture and a telephone number.

Now, I seem to remember a while ago, seeing payphones at platforms on
deep level underground stations. I had a quick look trough some
piccadilly and bakerloo line stations. But found nothing!

Would anyone know where there would still be a public telephone on the
underground network? If possible, in zone 1 at platform level? Also,
if you know of any payphones situated in unusual places I'd like to
know.

The site is situated at http://www.payphone.de.vu/ if anyones
interested.

Many thanks for any help,

Old November 29th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 04:38:56 in uk.transport.london, Dave
writes
Hello all, I'm putting together a collection of payphones in london
(and later on around the world). The payphones are each ocompanied by
a picture and a telephone number.

Now, I seem to remember a while ago, seeing payphones at platforms on
deep level underground stations. I had a quick look trough some
piccadilly and bakerloo line stations. But found nothing!

Would anyone know where there would still be a public telephone on the
underground network? If possible, in zone 1 at platform level? Also,
if you know of any payphones situated in unusual places I'd like to
know.

The site is situated at http://www.payphone.de.vu/ if anyones
interested.

Many thanks for any help,

Most have gone in the last couple of years.
There is one at Aldgate in the landing in the routeway above the
platforms and below the ticket hall.

A couple of the new Jubilee platforms each have a phone going from
Stratford: Bermondsey and North Greenwich. I know of none on any deep
level platform. There have been efforts to remove clutter from
platforms. Chocolate and other vending machines went and months were
taken to remove them. There is a long way to go. Many Help Points are
obscured by cupboards - I don't have details.

ISTR, West Ham towards Stratford and platform 4 eastbound Central at
Liverpool Street has a frame which used to hold a phone. It also has the
foot marks of a chocolate machine. There was a chocolate-vending on
Heathrow Terminal 5 eastbound when I was last there. It also has
non-standard Help Points.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old November 29th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
[...]

They should try and get rid of the mice...do they make any attempt to?

Old November 29th 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Nov, 17:11, Walter Briscoe wrote:
There have been efforts to remove clutter from
platforms. Chocolate and other vending machines went and months were
taken to remove them. There is a long way to go

I think they went because they weren't making enough money to make the
hassle of having them worthwhile. Photo booths in ticket halls also
went.

ISTR, West Ham towards Stratford and platform 4 eastbound Central at
Liverpool Street has a frame which used to hold a phone. It also has the
foot marks of a chocolate machine.

One of the DLR Stratford branch stations has an olde worlde (read:
early 90s) BT payphone in the middle of one of the platforms. Possibly
Bow Church.

Old December 1st 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 29, 9:54*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

ISTR, West Ham towards Stratford and platform 4 eastbound Central at
Liverpool Street has a frame which used to hold a phone. It also has the
foot marks of a chocolate machine.

One of the DLR Stratford branch stations has an olde worlde (read:
early 90s) BT payphone in the middle of one of the platforms. Possibly
Bow Church.

There's one on the southbound platform at Crossharbour too. Possibly
at other stations too, I just happened to notice this one because I
was looking out of the window.

Old December 2nd 08, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 29, 5:11*pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
[...]

Big thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yesterday I went by
the locations you told me about and snapped the payphones you
mentioned.

Here's the link where you ca find them: http://groups.google.com/group/Payph...united-kingdom

Anyone else who might be interested from other parts of the world and
interested in the subject, I would be most grateful for any payphone
contributions. Would be awesme to get a few from say the New York
subway.

Anyways, Walter I added your name as contributor for the relavant
payphones. Hope you don't mind?
Old December 2nd 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:48:58 in uk.transport.london, Dave
writes
On Nov 29, 5:11*pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I am vastly amused and flattered.
I may try to get more information at a meeting just before Christmas.
You might try a Freedom of Information request to LU.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old December 11th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
s.com, Dave writes
Hello all, I'm putting together a collection of payphones in london
(and later on around the world). The payphones are each ocompanied by
a picture and a telephone number.

Now, I seem to remember a while ago, seeing payphones at platforms on
deep level underground stations. I had a quick look trough some
piccadilly and bakerloo line stations. But found nothing!

Would anyone know where there would still be a public telephone on the
underground network? If possible, in zone 1 at platform level? Also,
if you know of any payphones situated in unusual places I'd like to
know.

The site is situated at http://www.payphone.de.vu/ if anyones
interested.

Many thanks for any help,

Can't help with the underground, but my local NR station (Bromley
South) has telephones on each of its two island platforms - one
just stuck on a pillar, two others in crude shelters.
--
Bill Borland

Old December 11th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 11, 8:18*pm, Bill Borland wrote:
In article
s.com, Dave writes

[...]

Straying further ... what happened to the phonecard payphones on
trains? I remember them on the Norwich line in the 1980s but I don't
know when they were removed. Maybe it was a very brief experiment or
just got overtaken by the use of mobiles. (Phonecards were a ripoff
because they always took one more unit that you intended to use, so I
was glad to see them go.)