London Banter

-   -   District - track renewals (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7353-district-track-renewals.html)

Paul Scott December 14th 08 03:58 PM

District - track renewals

Had a view of the District Line track replacement works between Barking and
Upminster yeaterday, from a passing c2c service. I was wondering what short
of length they can do in a weekend, and if the renewed track is basically
done to the same standards as NR use, eg sleeper spacing, ballast depth etc.
I noticed the same orange tubing guarding cables in the four foot for
instance.

If suitable locos were available, could the 'slinger train' work in the SSL
tunnels at all?

Paul S

Neil Williams December 14th 08 05:11 PM

District - track renewals

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:58:33 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Had a view of the District Line track replacement works between Barking and
Upminster yeaterday, from a passing c2c service. I was wondering what short
of length they can do in a weekend, and if the renewed track is basically
done to the same standards as NR use, eg sleeper spacing, ballast depth etc.
I noticed the same orange tubing guarding cables in the four foot for
instance.

Not sure, but I noticed new track on the Met at Euston Square last
week, and was astonished to note that it was of the jointed, bullhead
variety.

When are LUL going to enter the 21st century and move to CWR like the
mainline did years ago?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Paul Scott December 14th 08 06:38 PM

District - track renewals

wrote:

Had a view of the District Line track replacement works between Barking
and
Upminster yeaterday, from a passing c2c service. I was wondering what
short
of length they can do in a weekend, and if the renewed track is basically
done to the same standards as NR use, eg sleeper spacing, ballast depth
etc.
I noticed the same orange tubing guarding cables in the four foot for
instance.

Not sure, but I noticed new track on the Met at Euston Square last
week, and was astonished to note that it was of the jointed, bullhead
variety.

When are LUL going to enter the 21st century and move to CWR like the
mainline did years ago?

They will have to replace bullhead like for like until the sleepers & chairs
are replaced surely, and the sleepers can last a lot longer in the SSL
tunnels?

The renewals train I saw did seem to be placing CWR though, as I suggested
originally the previously completed sections are practically
indistinguishable from NR recent work (apart from the fourth rail!).

Paul

1506 December 15th 08 05:49 PM

District - track renewals

wrote:
Had a view of the District Line track replacement works between Barking and
Upminster yeaterday, from a passing c2c service. I was wondering what short
of length they can do in a weekend, and if the renewed track is basically
done to the same standards as NR use, eg sleeper spacing, ballast depth etc.
I noticed the same orange tubing guarding cables in the four foot for
instance.

Not sure, but I noticed new track on the Met at Euston Square last
week, and was astonished to note that it was of the jointed, bullhead
variety.

When are LUL going to enter the 21st century and move to CWR like the
mainline did years ago?

Neil

Within the confines of tube and sub-surface tunnels one would think
jointed track easier to work with than CWR.

Charles Ellson December 15th 08 10:06 PM

District - track renewals

wrote:
Had a view of the District Line track replacement works between Barking and
Upminster yeaterday, from a passing c2c service. I was wondering what short
of length they can do in a weekend, and if the renewed track is basically
done to the same standards as NR use, eg sleeper spacing, ballast depth etc.
I noticed the same orange tubing guarding cables in the four foot for
instance.

Not sure, but I noticed new track on the Met at Euston Square last
week, and was astonished to note that it was of the jointed, bullhead
variety.

When are LUL going to enter the 21st century and move to CWR like the
mainline did years ago?

Neil

Within the confines of tube and sub-surface tunnels one would think
jointed track easier to work with than CWR.

That IMU is the main reason for its continued use, IIRC there often
isn't sufficient clearance to allow use of the necessary equipment for
laying and fettling CWR and some of the curves would also invite
trouble. I've got an old programme for an open day at Neasden in
196mumble which features a CWR train so it isn't something LU have yet
to discover.

1506 December 15th 08 11:06 PM

District - track renewals

wrote:
[...]

Quite, I am sure CWR could be used to good effect on the surface
section to Amersham, horses for courses.

Christopher A. Lee December 15th 08 11:36 PM

District - track renewals

wrote:
[...]

They had CWR long before it took off on BR.

Because it was so new and nobody knew how to handle expansion, they
used what are best described as being like point blades sliding
against each other.

[email protected] December 16th 08 09:15 AM

District - track renewals

wrote:
[...]

BR/NR use(d) them too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John S.Robinson December 16th 08 09:27 PM

District - track renewals

On Dec 14, 10:11=A0am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

Not sure, but I noticed new track on the Met at Euston Square last
week, and was astonished to note that it was of the jointed, bullhead
variety.

When are LUL going to enter the 21st century and move to CWR like the
mainline did years ago?

There are two separate and distinct questions he

1. Fishplated v. welded rail: as others have remarked the Underground
has been using welded rails for many, many years. However, the Civil
Engineers always used to complain that the long rails they laid were
then cut into shorter lengths again by the Signal Engineers for
blockjoints. Because of the intense service traditional L.T.
signalling has many more signals per mile, and hence many more track
circuits, than most Network Rail lines.

2. Bullhead v. flat-bottomed rail: Flat-bottomed rail is now being
installed, even in tube tunnels, but this is comparatively recent.
Previously, the B.R. form of flat-bottomed rail installation gave a
greater sleeper-to-railhead distance than bullhead by an amount that
was significant in the close confines of a tube tunnel. There were
also questions about the having to redesign switch and crossing work
for flat-bottomed rail. I'm not sufficiently in touch to know the
details of how these problems were solved.

Cheers,
John

1506 December 16th 08 10:31 PM

District - track renewals

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. That is very informative. I wonder if slab track would be
a good solution for the Circle Line. It is used on Thameslink.