London Banter

-   -   Oyster PAYG + YP Railcard discount? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7399-oyster-payg-yp-railcard-discount.html)

Barry Salter December 28th 08 02:48 PM

Oyster PAYG + YP Railcard discount?

Rob wrote:
I read on a forum that on oyster payg you can get 1/3 off off peak
travelcard prices???- is this true????

No. You can get a discounted *paper* Day Travelcard, which gives you a
Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (1 to 9 if purchased from a London Underground
Ticket Office) for £4.80 instead of £7.00/£8.20. (Increasing to £5.00
instead of £7.50/£9.00 from 2nd January))

You can also get your Railcard discount added to an Oyster (the discount
entitlement expires at the same time as your Railcard) which gives a
reduced Pay As You Go cap of between £2.80 and £8.30 depending on which
Zones you travel in. (The Railcard caps from 2nd January don't appear in
the 2009 Fares Leaflets or on the TfL site, as far as I can tell).

HTH,

Barry

David Jackman[_2_] December 28th 08 03:01 PM

Oyster PAYG + YP Railcard discount?

Barry Salter wrote in news:6rplf6F2menoU1
@mid.individual.net:

Rob wrote:
I read on a forum that on oyster payg you can get 1/3 off off peak
travelcard prices???- is this true????

No. You can get a discounted *paper* Day Travelcard, which gives you a
Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (1 to 9 if purchased from a London Underground
Ticket Office) for £4.80 instead of £7.00/£8.20. (Increasing to £5.00
instead of £7.50/£9.00 from 2nd January))

Barry

Does that R1289 trick still work? I'm sure the "logic" behind it was that
the discounted paper day travelcard was capped at less than a third off,
and a third off the R1289 was still less than the capped price, a R1289 was
always issued, but next year's £ 5.00 will be exactly a third off £ 7.50.

Last time I bought a railcard paper day travelcard from LU I was asked
which zones I wanted and got R1256 for £4.80.

David

Chris[_2_] December 28th 08 04:42 PM

On 28 Dec, 15:48, Barry Salter wrote:
No. You can get a discounted *paper* Day Travelcard, which gives you a
Zones 1 to 6 Travelcard (1 to 9 if purchased from a London Underground
Ticket Office) for £4.80 instead of £7.00/£8.20. (Increasing to £5.00
instead of £7.50/£9.00 from 2nd January))

Strewth! the Allzones (1-9) Travelcard is going up from £8.20 to £9 on
the 2nd Jan?....that's 10% near as dammit! Isthat the biggest increase
in LU fares this January?....

martin January 2nd 09 11:21 AM

Oyster PAYG + YP Railcard discount?

On Dec 28 2008, 3:48*pm, Barry Salter
wrote:

(The Railcard caps from 2nd January don't appear in
the 2009 Fares Leaflets or on the TfL site, as far as I can tell).

They are on the TfL site, albeit quite well hidden:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

- martin

[email protected] January 10th 09 05:26 PM

wrote:

(TheRailcardcaps from 2nd January don't appear in
the 2009 Fares Leaflets or on the TfL site, as far as I can tell).

They are on the TfL site, albeit quite well hidden:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

I wonder if the differences between PAYG caps and Travelcard prices
will stay the same when PAYG expands across London (except SWT
apparently) in September.

Digressing slightly, I recently bought a combined 3-year (Rail+Photo)
Card and successfully got the discounted PAYG caps onto my Oyster at
Kings Cross St Pancras (it took 2 minutes, if that long). Generally
speaking, how well trained are TfL staff in doing this compared to
last year?