Old January 1st 09, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR Woolwich opening

Greetings

Talk locally is that the DLR Woolwich extension will start on January
10 - the idea apparently being that will allow the weekend for any
gremlins to surface and be dealt with before Monday's rush hour.

Any firm info on this?

I've seen some of the station innards [but not at platform level] since
disabled users are currently escorted through the DLR station and
overbridge to provide step-free access to the mainline down platform.
Pretty impressive.

Ken

--
kwelsby
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old January 1st 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Jan, 09:58, kwelsby
wrote:
Greetings

Talk locally is that the DLR Woolwich extension will start on January
10 - the idea apparently being that will allow the weekend for any
gremlins to surface and be dealt with before Monday's rush hour.

Any firm info on this?

I've seen some of the station innards [but not at platform level] since
disabled users are currently escorted through the DLR station and
overbridge to provide step-free access to the mainline down platform.
Pretty impressive.

I've read that date too, but was Monday 12 ever given as an official
opening date? This London Reconnections blog posting merely suggests
that the extension was contracted to open on 28 February but as it's
ready beforehand the new date of 10 January has instead been pencilled
in. Plus I find it hard to believe that the DLR would ever want to
open it on a Monday morning when it could all go spectacularly wrong!

One little thing of interest is that the Woolwich extension will bring
the DLR into zone 4, whereas the entire network bar the two City
termini of Bank and Tower Gateway was previously wholly within zones 2
and 3.
From the fares change tomorrow a single journey in z2, z3 or z2&3
costs £1.10 using Oyster PAYG whether it is during peak or off-peak
charging periods - whilst it will also be £1.10 for a two zone journey
in z3&4 as well regardless of the time, a z2-4 journey will cost £2.00
in the peak period, and £1.10 off-peak. That is, unless there is some
special charging structure brought in for the Woolwich extension.

See page 5 of the new fares PDF:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...6-02-01-09.pdf

Point being that for those who can be bothered to walk under the river
via the foot tunnel or walk to the Free Ferry there is money to be
saved! The same obviously applies to anyone purchasing a season
Travelcard - omitting zone 4 will of course means it costs less.

Do please note that I'm not trying to do down this extension
whatsoever - I think it's without a doubt a Good Thing, and will
hopefully help to lift the somewhat overlooked corner of Greater
London that is Woolwich up somewhat.