Old August 10th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR to upgrade Woolwich Arsenal route

In a newsletter DLR have been handing out this week, it says that DLR will
be using the money received from the Olympic fund to order 22 new trains,
upgrade Prince Regent station, and - believe it or not - infrastructure
enhancements to the Woolwich Arsenal route to enable operation of 3 car
trains. Perhaps they should build it first before they consider upgrading
the route!

They also report that options to have emerged from their "Horizon 2020"
study include extending the DLR west from Bank, South from Lewisham, and
east into the Thames Gateway.

The newsletter, which also includes a picture of the new trains, can be
found at
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/pdf/DLR30...sletter_AW.PDF

I liked the new trains when I first saw it, but looking at it just now I'm
not sure.

Old August 11th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:06:38 +0100, Dockland
wrote:

I liked the new trains when I first saw it, but looking at it just now I'm
not sure.

Ugly.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old August 11th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I always thought that the DLR trains were ugly compared to the modern
hi-tec
environments they travel through.

Painting them a nice shade of silver and given them modern interiors
could probably be a cheaper way to make them look attractive.

Some of the current even have dated advertising on them (Jaguar garage
at Millharbour - which is no longer there)

A.

Old August 11th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I liked the new trains when I first saw it, but looking at it just now I'm
not sure.

Ugly.

I'm also unconvinced. I quite like the look of the current trains!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 11th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I liked the new trains when I first saw it, but looking at it just now I'm
not sure.

Ugly.

I'm also unconvinced. I quite like the look of the current trains!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

You're all like a bunch of old men - slipping into conservatism as
easily as slipping into your old slippers! You'll be harking back to
the days of two-carriage operation soon, with the old panoramic front
windows unhindered by emergency gangway doors, when the DLR used red,
blue and green line colours on their maps, when the trains had
bus-style doors that swung inwards and were most effective in squashing
small children and old ladies bags. Them were the days...

Old August 11th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

wrote:

I liked the new trains when I first saw it, but looking at it just now I'm
not sure.

Ugly.

I'm also unconvinced. I quite like the look of the current trains!

You're all like a bunch of old men - slipping into conservatism as
easily as slipping into your old slippers! You'll be harking back to
the days of two-carriage operation soon, with the old panoramic front
windows unhindered by emergency gangway doors, when the DLR used red,
blue and green line colours on their maps, when the trains had
bus-style doors that swung inwards and were most effective in squashing
small children and old ladies bags. Them were the days...

I like the stock used on the Jubilee line compared to other Underground
lines... and I never really liked the red, blue and green line colours.
But I dislike the new DLR livery!

Oh, and I think Tramlink's vehicles look rather dated already compared
to NET.

Maybe that'll spark off a few arguments!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 12th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Oh, and I think Tramlink's vehicles look rather dated already compared
to NET.

NET?

tom

--
Everybody with a heart votes love
Old August 12th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Oh, and I think Tramlink's vehicles look rather dated already
compared to NET.

NET?

Nottingham Express Transit.

A new(ish) and very stylish tram system serving two routes in Nottingham
with more planned.

Nottingham (just in case anyone needs to know!) is a large City in the
East Midlands, about 140 miles north of London! :-) (Is there a
smiley for "tongue in cheek?)

For the record, I think that NET's vehicles are very stylish indeed.
But I like the Croydon ones, too; they're just very different in style.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old August 13th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom Anderson
writes
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Dave Arquati wrote:

Oh, and I think Tramlink's vehicles look rather dated already compared to
NET.

NET?

Nottingham Express Transit.

Aha. I've had a look, and yes, NET's trams do look better - but then they
have the advantage of being a lot newer.

Nottingham (just in case anyone needs to know!) is a large City in the
East Midlands, about 140 miles north of London!

I see that Greater Nottingham has a population of a little over 600 000.
This must be some new meaning of the term 'large city' of which i was not
previously aware.

:-&

:-) (Is there a smiley for "tongue in cheek?)

qv!

For the record, I think that NET's vehicles are very stylish indeed. But
I like the Croydon ones, too; they're just very different in style.

I think they all look like trams, and thus, awful. There's something
vaguely deprived and eastern european about them.

That said, they're a hundred times better than the abominations that pass
for local trains in the North:

http://hpbimg.thejetsetter.co.uk/rai...2051manvic.jpg
http://hpbimg.thejetsetter.co.uk/rai...1newcastle.jpg
http://hpbimg.thejetsetter.co.uk/rails2/142088york.jpg

Yuck!

tom

--
dream warrior, sun dancer
Old August 15th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Tom Anderson wrote:
That said, they're a hundred times better than the abominations that pass
for local trains in the North:

http://hpbimg.thejetsetter.co.uk/rai...1newcastle.jpg

Ah, yes. Those 142s used to be my daily commute to school
Durham-Newcastle in the 90s. They weren't pleasant then - very
similar to buses inside, noisy, bumpy and with a tendancy to steam up
quickly on colder days. When the 158s were introduced we were much
happier! :-)

Sam