Old January 2nd 09, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default DLR Latest Observations

New Trains

Today I finally had a long ride on one of the new trains, and
deliberately sat near the front, where I can confirm that the hunting
is at least as bad as ever, although many sections, eg between
Mudchute and Crossharbour, are still being taken slowly, so it's
difficult to compare. I wonder if the clear zigzag wearing of the
track from past hunting contributes? The suspension feels very loose
on the new trains, with the vehicle visibly rocking when two people
step on at once.

General Journey

The DLR still seems to be painfully slow compared with the past. The
train comes almost to a halt before many stations, before trickling
in. I hope that this will improve when all the works finish.

New Flyover

The section that had been severed, where it crossed the tracks that
lead to Poplar from Westferry (now by a flat junction) is now being
replaced by a slightly lower bridge over those tracks, which then
comes up against the continuation of the existing flyover about three
feet lower. (It looks a bit like one of those "Have you ever wished
you were better informed?" posters where someone got the measurements
wrong on two sections of flyover.) I am wondering if they will
somehow chop the tops off the supports and use the same ones. There
definitely doesn't seem to be room for a different horizontal
alignment.