Old April 12th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default River Transport Services - a couple of observations

Hi all

I'm looking at making a couple of journeys by boat, one of them on a regular
basis. Looking at the River Services bit of the TfL website I noitce:-

* the only map I can find a PDF, and the map bit looks crap.

* the map is out of date, expired Autumn last year, and fails to mention
some new services (at least one, anyway, the Clipper now runs some services
to Greenwich now)

* the timetable is also out of date and fragmented in layout

* the prices and services are not integrated. There's no through ticketing
(eg Greenlock Dock -- Chelsea) and only limited travelcard discounts on one
route as far as I can tell.

* One of the few decent commuter services uses Savoy pier rather than the
much better equiped Charing Cross just up the river.

I know things are better than they were, but still room for improvement? Or
am I being unduely critical?
--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

Old April 12th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I know things are better than they were, but still room for improvement? Or
am I being unduely critica

no your not....tell them to get there act to-geter......what a waste ,we must
use it more. p46
Old April 12th 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

u n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote in message news:slrnc7ks6e.ljm.takeme2yourNOMORESPAMPLEASE@s cratch.garylaw.net...

I know things are better than they were, but still room for improvement? Or
am I being unduely critical?

The only way the river services will take off is if they're put on the
travelcard system, IMHO.

Patrick
Old April 13th 04, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:34:55 +0000, u n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote:

I know things are better than they were, but still room for improvement? Or
am I being unduely critical?

I think you are being unduly critical.
I used to use the excellent Clipper service every day to get to work,
and was one of their first batch of regular passengers.

As for the point about the peirs, remember that Thames Clippers is a
commercial service. They can't just decide to pull up at any pier which
takes their fancy.
Old April 13th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

The only way the river services will take off is if they're put on the
travelcard system, IMHO.

Does anyone know if you can use Staff oystercards on them?
I seem to remember hearing that you got a discount on the riverboats if you
had a travelcard during the tube strikes. If this hasnt been done so
already, it would be a good idea if it would lose too much money on the main
system.
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Railway Information, News & Photos check out the Award Winning Railways

Old April 14th 04, 03:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Hearns wrote:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:34:55 +0000, u n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote:

I know things are better than they were, but still room for improvement? Or
am I being unduely critical?

I think you are being unduly critical.
I used to use the excellent Clipper service every day to get to work,
and was one of their first batch of regular passengers.

As for the point about the peirs, remember that Thames Clippers is a
commercial service. They can't just decide to pull up at any pier which
takes their fancy.

But can't TfL allocate them any pier which takes their fancy?
Old April 15th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:12:13 +0930, Aidan Stanger wrote:

As for the point about the peirs, remember that Thames Clippers is a
commercial service. They can't just decide to pull up at any pier which
takes their fancy.

But can't TfL allocate them any pier which takes their fancy?

the clippers are excellent, agreed, but they'd be better if they served a
'proper' peir at Hungerford, like the one outside Embankment Tube or the
Festival Hall, or both. Not the windswept, facility free Savoy.

TfL have refurbed a number of piers to a high standard, and have given the
Clipper operator a dolop of public funding as well. Better integration to go
along with this would be nice.

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r

A few observations eastender[_4_] London Transport 6 February 19th 11 03:40 PM
DLR Latest Observations MIG London Transport 0 January 2nd 09 10:28 AM
Maps, with some observations and some questions Tom Anderson London Transport 13 September 29th 07 08:54 PM
River Services Phil London Transport 7 April 30th 07 11:58 AM
Integrating river services Matt Ashby London Transport 56 March 28th 05 05:43 PM