Old January 12th 09, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default DLR to Woolwich set to open this Saturday, 10 January

On 12 Jan, 08:33, Mwmbwls wrote:
On Jan 12, 8:20*am, Bearded wrote:

For Wharfies travelling in from Woolwich and points East, the good news
is that the interchange at Poplar is cross-platform in both directions.

We had only a couple of minutes to wait.

Excellent ride - none of the hunting experienced elsewhere on the network.

This will make life so much easier for lots of people. Well done DLR.

Ken
--
Writer / editor on London's River

Was it well loaded on its first real working day?

A Woolwich dwelling, Canary Wharf working mate texted me this morning
saying "tipped up at 8:30. found Trams were going only as far as
Blackwall - nothing as far as Poplar for at least the next 4 trains.
getting on the bus to N Greenwich".

I have been bleating on about this extension to him for ages, too. Bah.
Old January 12th 09, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
,
Martin Petrov writes

A Woolwich dwelling, Canary Wharf working mate texted me this morning
saying "tipped up at 8:30. found Trams were going only as far as
Blackwall - nothing as far as Poplar for at least the next 4 trains.
getting on the bus to N Greenwich".

Possibly because the official opening was at 9.00 this morning, with
Boris and the press in attendance, so I doubt there was a normal service
pattern around then.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 12th 09, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12 Jan, 12:29, Martin Petrov wrote:

On 12 Jan, 08:33, Mwmbwls wrote:

On Jan 12, 8:20*am, Bearded wrote:

For Wharfies travelling in from Woolwich and points East, the good news
is that the interchange at Poplar is cross-platform in both directions.

We had only a couple of minutes to wait.

Excellent ride - none of the hunting experienced elsewhere on the network.

This will make life so much easier for lots of people. Well done DLR.

Was it well loaded on its first real working day?

A Woolwich dwelling, Canary Wharf working mate texted me this morning
saying "tipped up at 8:30. found Trams were going only as far as
Blackwall - nothing as far as Poplar for at least the next 4 trains.
getting on the bus to N Greenwich".

I have been bleating on about this extension to him for ages, too. Bah.

Tell him to walk from Blackwall next time - seriously, do. Look at
this map - Blackwall is at the top-right:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=180250&ar=N

Negotiating the Aspen Way roundabout might look scary but you don't
have to - there's a big wide subway underneath it qhich is quite
unlike the claustrophobic subways of old - you can see it in the
middle of the roundabout from this aerial image:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?FO...tyle=o&l vl=1

Without question I would go to Blackwall and walk in this situation -
it's really not very far at all.

The other really obvious point that has just come to me is that there
may be more trains to Poplar or Canary Wharf from Canning Town - which
would mean one wouldn't actually have to walk from Blackwall after all.
Old January 12th 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12 Jan, 08:33, Mwmbwls wrote:

Was it well loaded on its first real working day?

A Woolwich dwelling, Canary Wharf working mate texted me this morning
saying "tipped up at 8:30. found Trams were going only as far as
Blackwall - nothing as far as Poplar for at least the next 4 trains.
getting on the bus to N Greenwich".

I have been bleating on about this extension to him for ages, too. Bah.

It's (very) early days - it will calm down.

The other really obvious point that has just come to me is that there
may be more trains to Poplar or Canary Wharf from Canning Town - which
would mean one wouldn't actually have to walk from Blackwall after all.

If you look at the latest DLR timetable sheet you will see some of the
peak service only runs as far as Blackwall. Still as you say it is not
necessarily the end of the world to get off there - you can walk or get
a 277 bus on to the Wharf.

--
Paul C