Old February 5th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LUL set to close Met line

OK I lied, as far as I know they don't have any plans to close it, but
they might as well based on it's pathetic performance over the last
week.

I have tried to use it from Amersham 4 days out of the last 7 with the
following results:
No Morning peak service both ways north of Moor Park for 2 of the days.
(In fact on 1 day there was no southbound service until 14:00!)

Detrained at Harrow on the Hill on the other 2 mornings to scenes of
total chaos. This was due to multiple signal failures at Finchley Road,
Baker St, Farringdon (surely the most often U/S signal on the network)
and the City.

Return journeys were just as bad with no service North of Moor Park on 2
nights and Ealing comedy type farce on the 3rd. This last one took the
form of running only Uxbridge bound trains north of Baker St and
advising Amersham Passengers to change at Wembley Park where the
Amersham trains would be starting from. Needless to say the station
staff at Wembley knew nothing about this and swore blind this was not
the case, the dot matrix displays also only showed Uxbridge trains.
While the station staff tried to find out any details an empty Amersham
bound train sailed into the other side of the station. This then
triggered a large amount of very ****ed off people to run up one flight
of stairs across the station and down another flight of stairs. The 1st
bunch of people mainly young and fit then held the doors until all the
other passengers could board it.

Why is it that LUL, LT, TFL or whatever name is being used this month is
TOTALLY incapable of the most simple form of internal communication.
All the station staff at Wembley had mobile phones, it would have taken
30 secs for whoever made the announcement at Baker St to call one of
those phones during the 15 mins it took the train to get there. As
always this did not happen.

The above is only a part of the chaos I have seen over the last week but
I think you get the idea by now.

Dave

--
Dave B

Old February 5th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Feb 2004 -

[...]

Welcome to the Metropolitan Line!

It has been like this for ages, although in truth the last few months
have been better than usual

I made a record of my travels, if you are interested see

www.metroland.org.uk

Now that funding the LUL is being sorted out perhaps some planning for
the Met can take place. New trains will arrive (OK in a few years) and
perhaps they can further tweak the signals and service patter to make
things more reliable - why do so many trains go to Watford and Uxbridge
with a lot at times almost empty?

Matthew

--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it
Old February 5th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message

Now that funding the LUL is being sorted out perhaps some planning for
the Met can take place. New trains will arrive (OK in a few years) and
perhaps they can further tweak the signals and service patter to make
things more reliable - why do so many trains go to Watford and Uxbridge
with a lot at times almost empty?

Part of the 'turn up and go' policy requires timetabling of services to run
to all destinations every 10 minutes.

Old February 6th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

daveb wrote in message ...
The above is only a part of the chaos I have seen over the last week but
I think you get the idea by now.

Public transport these days is staffed mainly by people who don't give a
damn both on the management and workers side. Not just LUL, but the busses
and mainline trains too. Their attitude is "f*ck you , you should be grateful
we're running any kind of service at all now shut your mouth and wait".
You're right , a simple bit of communication would have made a lot of peoples
journey a lot easier but it makes little difference to the people who run the
service what happens to the passengers so in their mind they just don't see why
they should make the effort.

B2003
Old February 6th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Fri, 6 Feb 2004 -

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message

Now that funding the LUL is being sorted out perhaps some planning for
the Met can take place. New trains will arrive (OK in a few years) and
perhaps they can further tweak the signals and service patter to make
things more reliable - why do so many trains go to Watford and Uxbridge
with a lot at times almost empty?

Part of the 'turn up and go' policy requires timetabling of services to run
to all destinations every 10 minutes.

Well perhaps for obvious reasons, there is no 10 minute service to
Amersham! I just wonder if they could tweak it to spread the service
more evenly to Uxbridge, Watford and Amersham - or even introduce
services that start and stop at Harrow and Rickmansworth

Old February 6th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew P Jones" wrote in message

Now that funding the LUL is being sorted out perhaps some planning for
the Met can take place. New trains will arrive (OK in a few years) and
perhaps they can further tweak the signals and service patter to make
things more reliable - why do so many trains go to Watford and Uxbridge
with a lot at times almost empty?

Part of the 'turn up and go' policy requires timetabling of services to

run
to all destinations every 10 minutes.

Well perhaps for obvious reasons, there is no 10 minute service to
Amersham! I just wonder if they could tweak it to spread the service
more evenly to Uxbridge, Watford and Amersham - or even introduce
services that start and stop at Harrow and Rickmansworth

But there is a train every 10 minutes from London to Amersham if you include
the 2 Chiltern services.

Peter Smyth

Old February 7th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matthew P Jones
writes
Welcome to the Metropolitan Line!

It has been like this for ages, although in truth the last few months
have been better than usual

I made a record of my travels, if you are interested see

www.metroland.org.uk

Now that funding the LUL is being sorted out perhaps some planning for
the Met can take place. New trains will arrive (OK in a few years) and
perhaps they can further tweak the signals and service patter to make
things more reliable - why do so many trains go to Watford and Uxbridge
with a lot at times almost empty?

Matthew

I have used the Met line for many, many years, through different
governments, Ken Livingstone, Bob Kiley etc. Yet they all seem unable
to get the correct information to the staff on the station when it's
really needed.

The station staff in my example (and indeed most of the one's I have had
contact with recently) were as helpful as they could be but obviously
knew nothing about this situation. Yet the decision that lead to this
must have been made by "someone somewhere" at least 20 mins prior to our
arrival. Yet it was not forwarded to the front line.
Is this a British class type thing? e.g. middle management trying to
avoid contact with what they see as oik's, or is it something so
ingrained into LUL way of working that it will never be able to be
eradicated?

--
Dave B
Old February 7th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

daveb wrote:

I have used the Met line for many, many years, through different
governments, Ken Livingstone, Bob Kiley etc. Yet they all seem unable
to get the correct information to the staff on the station when it's
really needed.

The station staff in my example (and indeed most of the one's I have
had contact with recently) were as helpful as they could be but
obviously knew nothing about this situation. Yet the decision that
lead to this must have been made by "someone somewhere" at least 20
mins prior to our arrival. Yet it was not forwarded to the front line.
Is this a British class type thing? e.g. middle management trying to
avoid contact with what they see as oik's, or is it something so
ingrained into LUL way of working that it will never be able to be
eradicated?

It the simple inability or unwillingness of many people to understand that
someone, somewhere needs access to the information that they hold and that
they should pass it on.

It's all very well installing in wonderful new communications equipment, but
if there is no investment in the people's communication skills then it is a
waste of money.

Old February 7th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

It the simple inability or unwillingness of many people to understand that
someone, somewhere needs access to the information that they hold and that
they should pass it on.

It's all very well installing in wonderful new communications equipment,

but
if there is no investment in the people's communication skills then it is

waste of money.

Indeed so, although I think that the same applies to the travelling public.
Despite the vast fortunes being invested in visual and audible passenger
information systems (both on-train and on-station) a significant number of
people blatantly ignore them and, in their defence, I suspect that staff
trying to go about their daily tasks must get heartily sick of perpetually
being pestered by people with dumb questions, simply because they can't be
bothered to refer to the timetable posters or PIS, or listen to the
announcements. The faults lie on both sides and work both ways.

Despite doing a Maths and Computing course at college (in the early 1980s)
we were forced to do a module called "Communication Studies". At the time we
all thought it was a bit of a joke but it has been really useful to me, in
retrospect, both at work and as regular passenger. Perhaps it should be
included in all further education courses, if not lower in the education
system.

Old February 7th 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:

Despite doing a Maths and Computing course at college (in the early
1980s) we were forced to do a module called "Communication Studies".
At the time we all thought it was a bit of a joke but it has been
really useful to me, in retrospect, both at work and as regular
passenger. Perhaps it should be included in all further education
courses, if not lower in the education system.

Most definitely it's something that should be developed in early life.