Old January 13th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default DLR glad I wasn't drunk!

On Jan 13, 8:04*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"MarkVarley - MVP" wrote in messagenews:uhspm4dg8nuuo56ui7lc0i4c21pjfh3r76@4ax .com

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:37:46 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote this gibberish:

On Jan 12, 3:29 pm, Huge wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:12:41 +0000, MarkVarley - MVP wrote:
I don't often go on the DLR, infact yesterday was the second time
ever, and prompted a couple of questions.

1. are the rails made form recycled corkscrews?!? thats one hell
of a shimmy going on along some stretches, what's that all about?

It's a design flaw, and also the reason why there are sinusoidal
wear marks on the rails and a speed limit.

2. why are there drivers sometimes?

Unionisation?

They can occasionally be driven manually in emergencies, but the
reason why you sometimes see them at the front isn't because they are
driving.

As well as from each doorway, they can also operate the doors from
the front of the train. *Sometimes it may just happen to be
convenient, and sometimes, eg at Canary Wharf, they need to be able
to use the mirrors to see both sides.

but why be on the train, operating the doors for a few stations, and
then not for the rest of the line?

I thought the train captain (are they still called that?) was always on
board, and always operated the doors, but only rarely drove. I think
they sometimes checked tickets at one time, though I'm not sure of they
still do.-

Yes they are always on the train because, although the doors release
automatically, they are closed manually.

Sometimes they may get off in order to access the other unit/
articulated vehicle, because there is no internal connection, but they
stay on the train.

Recently I've noticed that ticket checks seem to be carried out by
pairs of people who get on specially, rather than by the train captain/
whatever.

Old January 13th 09, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

No DLR train ever operates without a member of staff being present.
They are known as PSA's (Passenger Service Agents).

They are responsible for operating the train - starting it (when safe
to do so and having closed the doors at stations and having received
the 'Ready to Depart' command. The automatic train control then does
everything else by commands from the signalling system including
'docking at the next station stop. Customer door open buttons are
released then the PSA repeats his actions for departure.

The PSA may be requested by Control to occupy the front position for
special rule purposes and even drive manually in certain circumstances
including refresher training and to get the train into and out of
depot sidings.

The PSA is also responsible for ticket checks and customer assistance
but their primary function is to keep the trains moving.

Richard Thomas
Old January 13th 09, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote this gibberish:

On Jan 12, 3:29*pm, Huge wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:12:41 +0000, MarkVarley - MVP wrote:

(snip question 1)

2. why are there drivers sometimes?

Unionisation?

They can occasionally be driven manually in emergencies, but the
reason why you sometimes see them at the front isn't because they are
driving.

As well as from each doorway, they can also operate the doors from the
front of the train. *Sometimes it may just happen to be convenient,
and sometimes, eg at Canary Wharf, they need to be able to use the
mirrors to see both sides.

but why be on the train, operating the doors for a few stations, and
then not for the rest of the line?

As is made clear downthread but is worth emphasising anyway, a
Passenger Service Agent (PSA aka Train Captain) - is always on board a
train [1], just maybe not the particular vehicle you're on.

I say vehicle because I mean what is effectively a two carriage
articulated thing that forms a self-contained unit - currently they go
around in twos, so four 'carriages', and will go around in threes,
hence six 'carriages' - note however that in official parlance a unit
or vehicle is a "car", so we will be getting three car trains, not
six! (Have I confused you yet?!)

By the by, Train Captains were renamed as PSAs quite a number of years
ago, but the old name seems to have stuck. At least they're PSAs not
CSAs!

-----
[1] Always on board, except when they're not!:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...f_on_platform/
Old January 13th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jan, 22:06, MIG wrote:

On Jan 13, 8:04*pm, "Recliner" wrote:

"MarkVarley - MVP"

(snip)

but why be on the train, operating the doors for a few stations, and
then not for the rest of the line?

I thought the train captain (are they still called that?) was always on
board, and always operated the doors, but only rarely drove. I think
they sometimes checked tickets at one time, though I'm not sure of they
still do.-

Yes they are always on the train because, although the doors release
automatically, they are closed manually.

Sometimes they may get off in order to access the other unit/
articulated vehicle, because there is no internal connection, but they
stay on the train.

Recently I've noticed that ticket checks seem to be carried out by
pairs of people who get on specially, rather than by the train captain/
whatever.

That last point is interesting - I haven't been on the DLR so much in
recent weeks. I've never been entirely convinced that PSAs (train
captains) were enough on themselves to properly check tickets,
especially at busy times. Having roving RPIs in addition to the PSAs
makes sense, especially as we enter the three-car era - that's 50%
more train for a PSA to have to try and check! I dare say the increase
in RPIs is related to the upcoming three-car trains. I have actually
seen a mob of them checking tickets on the entrance/exit stairway to
stations in the recent past though.
Old January 14th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jan, 22:13, Hertsman wrote:
No DLR train ever operates without a member of staff being present.

Almost true.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...f_on_platform/

Steve Adams

Old January 14th 09, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote this gibberish:

On Jan 12, 3:29*pm, Huge wrote:

[...]

Ah, I had assumed they were fully automated, now I understand, the
times I've been alone there must have been a PSA in the other car.

Thanks for the clarity!

"Eventually, a slightly out-of-breath Passenger Service Agent arrived,
having presumably just legged it from the previous station" - this is
just hilarious )
--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk