London Banter

-   -   King's Cross entrance to Underground to close (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7497-kings-cross-entrance-underground-close.html)

John Salmon[_3_] January 25th 09 11:35 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more or
less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever, at least
within my recollection, is to close permanently from next Sunday, 1st
February.

Mizter T January 26th 09 12:48 AM

On 26 Jan, 00:35, "John Salmon" wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more or
less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever, at least
within my recollection, is to close permanently from next Sunday, 1st
February.

Intriguing. I've found this information on the TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

---quote---
Entrance closure - 1 February 2009

The staircase that leads from within King's Cross mainline station to
the Underground will be closed permanently from 1 February 2009.

This closure is to enable a lift to be installed to provide step-free
access from the ticket hall to the Northern line platforms.

This staircase will not re-open, but a new route between King's Cross
mainline and the Underground will open nearby when the new Northern
ticket hall opens in 2010.

Until then, passengers should use the main entrance staircase and lift
located outside of King's Cross mainline station, to change between
rail and Underground services.
---/quote---

In time the whole focus of King's Cross station is shifting from the
present concourse over to the new western concourse, which will open
in 2011/ 2012 - in this context the closure of this staircase makes
rather more sense. I'm not really all that clued up on the
redevelopment of the station, but it seems as though the new northern
Tube ticket hall will become the primary entrance to the Underground
from the mainline station.

This Network Rail webpage provides a rough outline as to the plans,
but there's not really enough detail in it:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/4059.aspx

I note that the footbridge in the main trainshed was scheduled to be
removed over Christmas - I haven't been into KX lately so can't say if
this happened or not. It was fun walking over it when it was still
open, it was a distinctly forgotten corner of the station. It only
gave access to platforms 1 and 8 - was this always the case? I also
note that it's being/been taken into storage - any ideas for a new
home for it?

Allan[_2_] January 26th 09 08:54 AM

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

All this so a lift can be installed.

This seems very contrary.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 09:00 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message , at 09:54:37 on Mon, 26
Jan 2009, Allan remarked:
Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

Look on the bright side - you are still walking about a quarter of the
distance that people arriving from the Midland Mainline are.

Mizter T January 26th 09 09:11 AM

On 26 Jan, 09:54, Allan wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. *It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

All this so a lift can be installed.

This seems very contrary.

Come 2011/2012 when the new western concourse at King's Cross mainline
station opens, then things would be changing anyway. I very much doubt
that this entrance would be closing now were it not for these major
forthcoming changes to the mainline station which will result in the
current concourse disappearing.

So what you're missing is the bigger picture of how things are to
develop at King's Cross - this is just a stage in those developments.

Mike January 26th 09 09:21 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:54:37 +0000, Allan
wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

All this so a lift can be installed.

This seems very contrary.

I, and I suspect many others will call the powers that be that thought
up this ridiculous plan a bunch of arseholes. If anything they should
have been providing more escalators or a high capacity rapid lift in
this area rather than moving it outside.

When those without the funds to travel 1st class on NXEC often have to
walk down the platforms from just outside Peterborough, the long walk
to a platform on the underground often leaves them hot sweaty and
completely knackered. Making it more complicated and adding a trip
into the open air is proof that passengers are just an inconvenience.

Maybe they could also move the KX taxi ranks to 83 yards down the road
from London Victoria?

Mark Goodge January 26th 09 09:32 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:54:37 +0000, Allan put finger to keyboard and
typed:

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

In the short term, yes, it's going to be a nuisance. But it's part of
a long-term plan which will, at least in theory, make things a lot
better.

All this so a lift can be installed.

It's not just so a lift can be installed. In the long run, the whole
of the existing concourse area (where the stairs currently emerge)
will disappear. The new concourse will be to the side of the station,
instead of in front of it, and the area where the stairs now emerge
will be outside the building instead of inside it.

There's are some artist's impressions of the station after the
concourse redevelopment at:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ss_station.htm

and the Network Rail information page about it is at:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/4059.aspx

Mark
--
A Miscellany Of Good Stuff:
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

Roland Perry January 26th 09 09:39 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
02:11:21 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
I very much doubt that this entrance would be closing now were it not
for these major forthcoming changes to the mainline station which will
result in the current concourse disappearing.

This entrance, and indeed any lift built on the same footprint, will be
in the middle of an open space, when the redevelopment is complete.

Remember also, that people arriving on the main platforms at KX will be
tipped out into that open space (with very limited coverage from the
rain). This halfway house will get them used to packing an umbrella :)

Roland Perry January 26th 09 09:44 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message , at 10:21:16 on
Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mike remarked:
I, and I suspect many others will call the powers that be that thought
up this ridiculous plan a bunch of arseholes. If anything they should
have been providing more escalators or a high capacity rapid lift in
this area rather than moving it outside.

This old staircase *would* be outside, when they demolish the current
roof over the "temporary" concourse.

When those without the funds to travel 1st class on NXEC often have to
walk down the platforms from just outside Peterborough, the long walk
to a platform on the underground often leaves them hot sweaty and
completely knackered. Making it more complicated and adding a trip
into the open air is proof that passengers are just an inconvenience.

As I said earlier, the walk is considerably less than Midland Mainline
passengers have been enduring since the refurbishment of St Pancras
began - for a couple of years the only way to the tube was a long walk
outside in the rain; now it's a slightly longer walk, albeit indoors.

Maybe they could also move the KX taxi ranks to 83 yards down the road
from London Victoria?

Haven't they already moved the taxi rank to the road in between KX and
StP? Again, difficult to get to without being rained upon.

John B January 26th 09 09:49 AM

On Jan 26, 10:39*am, Roland Perry wrote:
Remember also, that people arriving on the main platforms at KX will be
tipped out into that open space (with very limited coverage from the
rain). This halfway house will get them used to packing an umbrella :)

Eh? The new footbridge to the new western concourse will be the
primary exit route to the Tube, St Pancras, etc. The exit to the south
where the current concourse is will only be for people exiting into
the local area.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Roland Perry January 26th 09 09:50 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message e.net, at
10:32:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mark Goodge
remarked:
the area where the stairs now emerge
will be outside the building instead of inside it.

There's are some artist's impressions of the station after the
concourse redevelopment at:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ss_station.htm

I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

Graeme Wall January 26th 09 09:54 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

[snip]

As I said earlier, the walk is considerably less than Midland Mainline
passengers have been enduring since the refurbishment of St Pancras
began - for a couple of years the only way to the tube was a long walk
outside in the rain; now it's a slightly longer walk, albeit indoors.

That's all part of the Government plan to improve peole's fitness, By the
time you've walked from the train to the UndergrounD and back in the evening
you've done your reccomended 30 minutes exercise a day :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 10:03 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
02:49:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, John B remarked:
Remember also, that people arriving on the main platforms at KX will be
tipped out into that open space (with very limited coverage from the
rain). This halfway house will get them used to packing an umbrella :)

Eh? The new footbridge to the new western concourse will be the
primary exit route to the Tube, St Pancras, etc. The exit to the south
where the current concourse is will only be for people exiting into
the local area.

My understanding is that the bridge is only for passengers going *to*
the trains.

Mizter T January 26th 09 10:11 AM

On 26 Jan, 10:50, Roland Perry wrote:

In message e.net, at
10:32:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mark Goodge
remarked:

the area where the stairs now emerge
will be outside the building instead of inside it.

There's are some artist's impressions of the station after the
concourse redevelopment at:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ss_station.htm

I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

For reference:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...il271107_1.jpg

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.

Mr Thant January 26th 09 10:14 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 10:50, Roland Perry wrote:
I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

My guess is it'll be starting at basement level (ie the tube ticket
hall), rather than street level. It's not shown on any diagrams I can
find though.

The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year, and I would hope
will offer an indoor connection to KX. That may be why the Duke of
York has been closed.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 10:15 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
03:11:09 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

For reference:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...il271107_1.jpg

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.

So this lift is only from the booking hall level to the tube lines, not
from the surface?

Mizter T January 26th 09 10:26 AM

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ation_nrail271...

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.

So this lift is only from the booking hall level to the tube lines, not
from the surface?

Yes. From the webpage I cited earlier:

"This closure is to enable a lift to be installed to provide step-free
access from the ticket hall to the Northern line platforms."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

It does make sense to avoid having a direct link from the platforms to
the surface that would bypass the ticket hall. However the 'green
oval' arrangement you noted earlier might in fact play host to a
separate lift that would link the surface to the ticket hall.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 10:33 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
03:14:45 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year,

As soon as that? Is it timed to co-incide with the opening of the Kent
Domestics. Will all the new escalators/passageways to the tube lines be
complete as well?

and I would hope will offer an indoor connection to KX.

The entrances to the northern hall will be quite close to the KX
Suburban platforms, and therefore a long de-tour.

The new tube entrance from KX Mainline will be from somewhere around the
current Ladies toilets, and will lead to the existing ticket hall in a
passage under the current ex-GNER ticket office. This will emerge into
the existing ticket hall in the same place as the passageway from the
soon-to-be-closed stairs.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 10:45 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
03:26:25 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
"This closure is to enable a lift to be installed to provide step-free
access from the ticket hall to the Northern line platforms."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

It does make sense to avoid having a direct link from the platforms to
the surface that would bypass the ticket hall.

If you mean "it makes sense not to bypass the barrier line", then that
narrows the possibilities regarding where this lift will be installed.
In other words, it will have to be somewhere between the barriers and
the escalators - which doesn't feel like it's anywhere near the current
"landside" stairs that are being closed.

However the 'green oval' arrangement you noted earlier might in fact
play host to a separate lift that would link the surface to the ticket
hall.

There's nothing shown on the plans (which I've now found). Indeed it may
well be above the escalator down to the Victoria Line, which limits the
possibilities of putting anything overhead.

Mizter T January 26th 09 10:47 AM

On 26 Jan, 11:33, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:14:45 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:

The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year,

As soon as that? Is it timed to co-incide with the opening of the Kent
Domestics. Will all the new escalators/passageways to the tube lines be
complete as well?

It's almost as if there's a masterplan at work! I think the timing is
intended to coincide with the arrival of the Kent high-speed trains at
St. P.

and I would hope will offer an indoor connection to KX.

The entrances to the northern hall will be quite close to the KX
Suburban platforms, and therefore a long de-tour.

The new tube entrance from KX Mainline will be from somewhere around the
current Ladies toilets, and will lead to the existing ticket hall in a
passage under the current ex-GNER ticket office. This will emerge into
the existing ticket hall in the same place as the passageway from the
soon-to-be-closed stairs.

Aha, that makes sense.

[email protected] January 26th 09 10:50 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

The focus shifting nonsense is a right PITA for real users because it
means considerably longer walking routes and the complete lack of a
covered route to the Underground in the meantime. Why they don't at least
put up a temporary awning on the King's Cross forecourt is beyond me but
even that route is a long way round from all the King's ross platforms to
the Victoria Line. Just encourages me always to use my bike.

I note that the footbridge in the main trainshed was scheduled to be
removed over Christmas - I haven't been into KX lately so can't say if
this happened or not. It was fun walking over it when it was still
open, it was a distinctly forgotten corner of the station. It only
gave access to platforms 1 and 8 - was this always the case? I also
note that it's being/been taken into storage - any ideas for a new
home for it?

It went alright. It's even reported in the latest Modern Railways (I
think, could be Railway Magazine).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry January 26th 09 10:57 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
03:47:11 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year,

As soon as that? Is it timed to co-incide with the opening of the Kent
Domestics. Will all the new escalators/passageways to the tube lines be
complete as well?

It's almost as if there's a masterplan at work! I think the timing is
intended to coincide with the arrival of the Kent high-speed trains at
St. P.

Although this says 2010 (for the Northern Ticket Hall):

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

Mr Thant January 26th 09 11:24 AM

On 26 Jan, 11:57, Roland Perry wrote:
Although this says 2010 (for the Northern Ticket Hall)

The official date is "February 2010" but they were asked to get it
done three months early by the DfT, which they've agreed to. But for
whatever political reason TfL's announced date is unchanged.

(see also the ELL, which opens "June 2010" but I would bet money will
be carrying passengers by the end of this year)

[email protected] January 26th 09 11:27 AM

(Mizter T) wrote:

On 26 Jan, 09:54, Allan wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
[...]

The new ticket hall won't change the shortest route to the tube platforms!

The exit from platforms 1-8 at the Cross will still be to the area where
the concourse is now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 26th 09 11:27 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
,
at 02:49:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, John B remarked:
Remember also, that people arriving on the main platforms at KX will
be tipped out into that open space (with very limited coverage from
the rain). This halfway house will get them used to packing an
umbrella :)

Eh? The new footbridge to the new western concourse will be the
primary exit route to the Tube, St Pancras, etc. The exit to the south
where the current concourse is will only be for people exiting into
the local area.

My understanding is that the bridge is only for passengers going
*to* the trains.

And a bloody inconvenient route for them too. If people were designed to
go up and down they'd have given us wings.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T January 26th 09 11:29 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

wrote:

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

"This focus shifting nonsense" is basically the bedrock of the
redevelopment plans for King's Cross mainline station, which will
entail the concourse being relocated to the western side of the
station.

By the by I was mistaken when I said the new northern Tube ticket hall
would become the primary entrance from the mainline station - there
will in fact be an entrance to the existing circular ticket hall via a
passageway from the new western concourse. This walking route will be
a bit longer, but nothing major. The motivation behind the new western
concourse is to provide a less cramped, more spacious station for
passengers.

Regarding the current arrangement - once the entrance to the Tube
station in the middle of the current concourse shuts, there won't as
you say be a completely covered route - but it's almost completely
covered. Look at this bird's eye view - the building with the 'King's
Cross' label imposed on it is actually the (fairly) new wide stairway
entrance down into the Tube station. The actual distance between that
and the existing canopy is pretty miniscule (the temporary structure
that appears in between them is no longer there).

Regarding the arrangement encouraging you to use your bike - well,
some might well say good, nothing wrong with that, in fact it should
be positively encouraged - for a start people opting to go by bike
take some pressure off the Tube network. Though you should perhaps
note that the small lack of cover from the sky between the mainline
station and the Tube entrance somewhat pales into insignificance
compared with the lack of cover provided when cycling, what with it
being out in the open and all that.

I note that the footbridge in the main trainshed was scheduled to be
removed over Christmas - I haven't been into KX lately so can't say if
this happened or not. It was fun walking over it when it was still
open, it was a distinctly forgotten corner of the station. It only
gave access to platforms 1 and 8 - was this always the case? I also
note that it's being/been taken into storage - any ideas for a new
home for it?

It went alright. It's even reported in the latest Modern Railways (I
think, could be Railway Magazine).

OK, thanks for the info,

Mizter T January 26th 09 11:42 AM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 12:27, wrote:

In article
,

(Mizter T) wrote:
On 26 Jan, 09:54, Allan wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
[...]

True. In some earlier comments I mistakenly said that the new northern
Tube ticket hall would become the primary entrance to the Tube from
the new western concourse - as Roland Perry has pointed out elsewhere
on this thread, there will in fact be a new passageway from the
western concourse that leads into the existing (main) circular Tube
ticket hall next to Euston Road.

The exit from platforms 1-8 at the Cross will still be to the area where
the concourse is now.

There seems to be some dispute over whether passenger will be able to
exit the mainline platforms over the footbridge into the western
ticket hall or not. If that is to be possible, then there would be a
covered route all the way into the Tube station - though yes, one that
would involve getting up and then down from the footbridge.

The other possibility is that there will be a way to walk around the
southern (buffer-end) exits from platforms 1-8 within the station
(i.e. under cover) to get round to the western concourse and hence the
entrance to the Tube station. This is surely highly likely, as I
rather doubt that the buffer-end exits would literally deposit people
straight off the train and through the doors into the street.

Mr Thant January 26th 09 11:53 AM

On 26 Jan, 12:42, Mizter T wrote:
There seems to be some dispute over whether passenger will be able to
exit the mainline platforms over the footbridge into the western
ticket hall or not.

They'll have a single down-only escalator and a lift to each platform.

The other possibility is that there will be a way to walk around the
southern (buffer-end) exits from platforms 1-8 within the station
(i.e. under cover) to get round to the western concourse and hence the
entrance to the Tube station.

There'll be a bi-directional gateline roughly where M&S currently is
giving you access to the concourse. A little further south (just
outside the building but under the canopy) there'll be a new set of
stairs down to the tube station. This is probably the same set Roland
mentioned earlier.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 12:18 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
04:42:06 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
The other possibility is that there will be a way to walk around the
southern (buffer-end) exits from platforms 1-8 within the station
(i.e. under cover) to get round to the western concourse and hence the
entrance to the Tube station. This is surely highly likely, as I
rather doubt that the buffer-end exits would literally deposit people
straight off the train and through the doors into the street.

They are currently widening the circulating area inside the "old
building" by moving all the buffers about half a carriage-length north,
and eventually covering the resulting footprint with a pedestrianised
area. This will give a "corridor" from the platform ends westwards to
the new National Rail ticket concourse.

But when they did a study of the passenger flows at the revamped
station, one of the major issues was congestion at the platform-end
exits, when it was raining. This seems to assume that most passengers
would be heading across the new open air plaza, maybe to the bus stops,
or the current "outdoor" entrance to the tube - especially if heading
for the Circle Line I think.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 12:31 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
s.com, at 04:53:21 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant maha.thray.sithu.u.th
remarked:
There'll be a bi-directional gateline roughly where M&S currently is
giving you access to the concourse.

And is there an exit-only gateline somewhere? Very close to the edge of
the building, perhaps (so that the corridor along the buffers is
"airside")?

A little further south (just outside the building but under the canopy)
there'll be a new set of stairs down to the tube station. This is
probably the same set Roland mentioned earlier.

There's just one set on the diagram I have, and it's not clear if inside
or outside the building. If it's just outside, is it perhaps inside the
greenhouse structure visible here just left of the 'clocktower':

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ion_nrail27110
7_2.jpg

Paul Oter January 26th 09 12:39 PM

On 26 Jan, 09:54, Allan wrote:
John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. *It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

... though you haven't been able to do that in the morning peak (7am to
10am Mon-Fri) for many months now, since the entrance/exit in question
is closed during those hours.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

Yes, I have had to do that every mornng for ages. Worse, the entrance
in front of the station is always "throttled" during the morning peak
(by partially closing the sliding gates) to allow only one person in
at a time, leading to a big melee of people outside trying to get in.

I often find it easier to cross St Pancras Road and use the entrance
inder St Pancras, which is normally unrestricted.

PaulO

[email protected] January 26th 09 12:42 PM

(Mizter T) wrote:

Regarding the current arrangement - once the entrance to the Tube
station in the middle of the current concourse shuts, there won't as
you say be a completely covered route - but it's almost completely
covered. Look at this bird's eye view - the building with the 'King's
Cross' label imposed on it is actually the (fairly) new wide stairway
entrance down into the Tube station. The actual distance between that
and the existing canopy is pretty miniscule (the temporary structure
that appears in between them is no longer there).

It's not covered though, as I've found out most recently when trying to
get a family with luggage from Cambridge to Heathrow before Christmas.
With a granddaughter in a buggy we had to use the lift there. Not covering
the back is just a pathetic bit of meanness, frankly.

Regarding the arrangement encouraging you to use your bike - well,
some might well say good, nothing wrong with that, in fact it should
be positively encouraged - for a start people opting to go by bike
take some pressure off the Tube network. Though you should perhaps
note that the small lack of cover from the sky between the mainline
station and the Tube entrance somewhat pales into insignificance
compared with the lack of cover provided when cycling, what with it
being out in the open and all that.

Indeed, but access from the platforms by bike will be much worse after
they've put a barrier line in for platforms 1-8.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mr Thant January 26th 09 12:54 PM

On 26 Jan, 13:31, Roland Perry wrote:
And is there an exit-only gateline somewhere? Very close to the edge of
the building, perhaps (so that the corridor along the buffers is
"airside")?

The entire front wall of the station. The whole main shed is airside.
The whole design does seem to be based on the majority of passengers
being sent outdoors as soon as they arrive, which is bonkers.

There's just one set on the diagram I have, and it's not clear if inside
or outside the building. If it's just outside, is it perhaps inside the
greenhouse structure visible here just left of the 'clocktower':

Yes. You can see in that picture there's a brick veranda in front of
the main front wall, which will be outside the gateline but inside
glass doors, so there might be a narrow indoor route to the stairs to
the tube station.

Mizter T January 26th 09 01:07 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 12:53, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 26 Jan, 12:42, Mizter T wrote:

There seems to be some dispute over whether passenger will be able to
exit the mainline platforms over the footbridge into the western
ticket hall or not.

They'll have a single down-only escalator and a lift to each platform.

The other possibility is that there will be a way to walk around the
southern (buffer-end) exits from platforms 1-8 within the station
(i.e. under cover) to get round to the western concourse and hence the
entrance to the Tube station.

There'll be a bi-directional gateline roughly where M&S currently is
giving you access to the concourse. A little further south (just
outside the building but under the canopy) there'll be a new set of
stairs down to the tube station. This is probably the same set Roland
mentioned earlier.

I've just been having a quick dig around the LB Camden online planning
portal. The main planning application number for these works seems to
be 2006/3387/P - the summary page can be seen he
http://tinyurl.com/dk7lyq.

The supporting documents page holds a number of drawings:
http://tinyurl.com/cth9rq

Within the "Amended drawings" document, on page 1 is a drawing that
shows two gatelines leading from the main trainshed - one leads into
the western concourse, the other leads south out onto the street - the
stairs down into the main (circular) Tube ticket hall that I think are
the ones we're all speaking about are also shown underneath an
external canopy (or at least I think that's what the drawing shows).
Page 6 also shows this in more detail.

I haven't entirely figured it out yet, like what route will passengers
exiting the Tube take into the Western concourse... ok, so now I'm
looking at page 4 of the "Proposed 3" drawings which appears to show a
direct exit from the Tube station into the western concourse, right on
the westernmost side. And this appears again on pages 8 and 10 - but
it looks solely like a link to the deep-level tubes, so I think this
is in fact the new northern Tube ticket hall. I'd need to spend a bit
of time with these drawings to properly figure it all out.

Page 1 of the "Proposed 2 - Part 2" drawings shows the 'green oval' in
the Southern Square that Mr Perry speaks of elsewhere is in fact an
"LUL vent". And in one of the drawings I noticed that the location of
the disused Hotel Curve was marked, but I can't find which one it is
now.

Anyway should anyone want to look in depth at the plans there's plenty
to go from there. As I said, I've only taken a cursory look at them -
the whole project is not one that I've looked at in any real detail
beforehand.

Mizter T January 26th 09 01:11 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 13:54, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 26 Jan, 13:31, Roland Perry wrote:

And is there an exit-only gateline somewhere? Very close to the edge of
the building, perhaps (so that the corridor along the buffers is
"airside")?

The entire front wall of the station. The whole main shed is airside.
The whole design does seem to be based on the majority of passengers
being sent outdoors as soon as they arrive, which is bonkers.

I'm trying to think of other stations that employ a similar
arrangement but can't. Is this whole western concourse scheme a bit
wonky then?

Mizter T January 26th 09 01:16 PM

On 26 Jan, 13:39, Paul Oter wrote:

On 26 Jan, 09:54, Allan wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. *It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

.. though you haven't been able to do that in the morning peak (7am to
10am Mon-Fri) for many months now, since the entrance/exit in question
is closed during those hours.

I wonder why this is the case - because it's easier to handle the
crowds outside at the new entrance perhaps?

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

Yes, I have had to do that every mornng for ages. Worse, the entrance
in front of the station is always "throttled" during the morning peak
(by partially closing the sliding gates) to allow only one person in
at a time, leading to a big melee of people outside trying to get in.

I dare say this happens with good reason, that being the crowdedness
of the ticket hall. The new northern ticket hall should abate this
somewhat.

I often find it easier to cross St Pancras Road and use the entrance
under St Pancras, which is normally unrestricted.

Where there's a will there's a way!

Mizter T January 26th 09 01:19 PM

On 26 Jan, 13:18, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
04:42:06 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:

The other possibility is that there will be a way to walk around the
southern (buffer-end) exits from platforms 1-8 within the station
(i.e. under cover) to get round to the western concourse and hence the
entrance to the Tube station. This is surely highly likely, as I
rather doubt that the buffer-end exits would literally deposit people
straight off the train and through the doors into the street.

They are currently widening the circulating area inside the "old
building" by moving all the buffers about half a carriage-length north,
and eventually covering the resulting footprint with a pedestrianised
area. This will give a "corridor" from the platform ends westwards to
the new National Rail ticket concourse.

OK, I see. I'll pop in to have a look at what's going on soon.

But when they did a study of the passenger flows at the revamped
station, one of the major issues was congestion at the platform-end
exits, when it was raining. This seems to assume that most passengers
would be heading across the new open air plaza, maybe to the bus stops,
or the current "outdoor" entrance to the tube - especially if heading
for the Circle Line I think.

Interesting. Did anything come of these findings, i.e. modifications
to the design?

Mizter T January 26th 09 01:24 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 12:29, Mizter T wrote:

wrote:
In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

(snip)

[...]

even that route is a long way round from all the King's Cross platforms to
[...]

"This bird's eye view" being the following link that I forgot to
include, sorry:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?cp...scene=12453916

Barry Salter January 26th 09 01:46 PM

Mr Thant wrote:

(see also the ELL, which opens "June 2010" but I would bet money will
be carrying passengers by the end of this year)

Incidentally, Network Rail are currently advertising for signallers at
New Cross Gate, presumably for the ELL.

Cheers,

Barry

Roland Perry January 26th 09 01:51 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
06:11:37 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
The entire front wall of the station.

In between the hoops of the arches? Or slightly inside (north) of that.

The whole main shed is airside.
The whole design does seem to be based on the majority of passengers
being sent outdoors as soon as they arrive, which is bonkers.

I'm trying to think of other stations that employ a similar
arrangement but can't. Is this whole western concourse scheme a bit
wonky then?

We are looking for stations with not much between the barrier line and
the outside world. Luton Airport Parkway's a bit like that. Or slightly
more extreme: Loughborough, where the exit from the barriers is straight
into the open carpark.