Old February 7th 09, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Best place to view A1 Tornado other than Kings Cross

Any sensible suggestions, like where one might innocently take some photos
or even manage some video footage?

Martin J

Old February 7th 09, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 09:36, "Martin J" wrote:
Any sensible suggestions, like where one might innocently take some photos
or even manage some video footage?

I'd take an all stops Welwyn Garden City train north from KX and pick
the first local station I liked the look of. Very few of them are
gated or staffed (beyond someone hidden in the ticket office).

If you don't fancy that, go to Caledonian Road tube, turn left, and
there's a clearish view of the line coming down the ramp from Holloway
Road bridge (which it goes over) to Caledonian Road bridge (which it
goes under).

Most footbridges and road bridges are useless because of the high
sides requirement above overhead wiring.

Old February 7th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Feb, 11:01, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 7 Feb, 09:36, "Martin J" wrote:

Any sensible suggestions, like where one might innocently take some photos
or even manage some video footage?

I'd take an all stops Welwyn Garden City train north from KX and pick
the first local station I liked the look of. Very few of them are
gated or staffed (beyond someone hidden in the ticket office).

Too late now, but Finsbury Park is an easy suggestion for a location -
simple to get to, and quite busy as well (though not at the ends of
the platforms), with staff often around and about (which I suppose
could be good or bad - they seem friendly enough so you could make
yourself known and I reckon it'd be fine). Harringay and Hornsey offer
platforms with one side fenced off (low fence or wall) so you can get
quite close to the action. Alexandra Palace has some wider island
platforms and is likely to be a bit busier than the former two. All of
the latter suggestions would only have staff in the ticket office, I
suppose security might be a concern though perhaps a bit less so at
Ally Pally.

If you don't fancy that, go to Caledonian Road tube, turn left, *and
there's a clearish view of the line coming down the ramp from Holloway
Road bridge (which it goes over) to Caledonian Road bridge (which it
goes under).

It's quite a distinct incline that's for sure, but the walls of the
bridge are quite high - you''d really need some elevation, a step
ladder or perhaps a soapbox! (Or a convenient bit of street furniture,
not sure if there is any though.) A bicycle, which I always find
useful for peering over walls, isn't really ideal when it comes to
taking good photographs! There is an alley off to the west of
Caledonian Road north of the line which is fenced off from the railway
land - not sure if it's the kind of fence that'd allow for good photos
between the cracks, and last time I went past that alley there were
some kids hanging around looking like they'd be a potential annoyance.

Most footbridges and road bridges are useless because of the high
sides requirement above overhead wiring.

Indeed. The footbridge that carries the Parkland Walk from Finsbury
Park over the ECML to Oxford Road has a good view, but also has high
sides. One could take a small stepladder down there I suppose, though
it's quite a busy thoroughfare and rather narrow to boot so you might
make yourself unpopular if you were to set it up for a long time - an
accompanying partner in crime would be essential.

Anyway, all too late for today. Though the Tornado is apparently to
traverse the North London Line later to get to Old Oak Common, which
might offer some good opportunities... apart from the fact it's dark!