Old June 26th 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default seeing the other's view

About time too!! It's not just cyclists who can benefit from this
opportunity, other road users should take the chance to have a look.

Lorries highlight cycling danger

The dangers posed by lorries to cyclists and pedestrians are to be
highlighted in a road safety event.

Two lorries will be parked in Trafalgar Square, central London, to allow
other road users to see first hand how limited a lorry driver's vision is.

Metropolitan Police figures show that in 2006 nine cyclists were killed in
London in accidents involving lorries.

The two-day event this week follows a campaign launched in March urging
lorry drivers to look out for cyclists.

Ch Insp Mark Bird said: "Lots of people cycle in London and I'd encourage
people to come along and see first hand just how easy the cause of these
types of collisions can be and how easily avoidable they are.

"I have witnessed first hand the devastating affects that losing a loved one
or family member can have, and we are determined to do all we can to reduce
the risks to cyclists, and all road users."

In 2006 19 cyclists were killed in collisions - nine of which involved a
goods vehicle.

The year before 21 cyclists were killed, nine involved lorries and in 2004
four of eight accidents in which cyclists were killed involved lorries.

Old June 26th 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

Brimstone wrote:

The year before 21 cyclists were killed, nine involved lorries and in 2004
four of eight accidents in which cyclists were killed involved lorries.

To get a balance here we need to know how many lorry drivers were killed
by cyclists in the same period. :-)
Old June 26th 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

[...]

A good suggestion, but I think that drivers of motor vehicles fitted
with mirrors are *mostly* already aware of the concept of "blind
spots", etc. The worst risk to cyclists occurs whilst undertaking a
left-turning lorry. If the decision to turn left is made late, the
undertaking cyclist may not be in a position to see when the lorry's
indicators are switched on (all the more reason not to undertake, of
course).

Seen those signs on some lorries: "If you can't see my mirrors, I
can't see you!"?
Old June 26th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , NM says...
Brimstone wrote:

The year before 21 cyclists were killed, nine involved lorries and in 2004
four of eight accidents in which cyclists were killed involved lorries.

To get a balance here we need to know how many lorry drivers were killed
by cyclists in the same period. :-)

No idea but I suspect a few had a cardio episode from cycling.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old June 26th 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Large HGVs are designed for motorways not the urban environment where
they can be routinely seen to mount pavements and generally fail to
fit into the road space provided.

The RHA is for ever bleating on about 95% of goods being moved by road
but then their competitors would never be allowed to get away with the
**** HGVs do so it's hardly surprising is it.

At every level the aviation and rail industry surpasses the HGV
industry on safety reliability and general adherence to the rules and
a fat lot of good it does them too, when they're undercut on price by
a bunch of cowboys working ninety hours a week on overloaded badly
maintained lorries.

Old June 26th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

allan tracy wrote:
Large HGVs are designed for motorways not the urban environment where
they can be routinely seen to mount pavements and generally fail to
fit into the road space provided.

The RHA is for ever bleating on about 95% of goods being moved by road
but then their competitors would never be allowed to get away with the
**** HGVs do so it's hardly surprising is it.

At every level the aviation and rail industry surpasses the HGV
industry on safety reliability and general adherence to the rules and
a fat lot of good it does them too, when they're undercut on price by
a bunch of cowboys working ninety hours a week on overloaded badly
maintained lorries.

What has this got to do with making other road users aware of the limited
sightlines from the driving seat of a lorry?

Old June 26th 07, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

allan tracy wrote:

At every level the aviation and rail industry surpasses the HGV
industry on safety reliability and general adherence to the rules and
a fat lot of good it does them too, when they're undercut on price by
a bunch of cowboys working ninety hours a week on overloaded badly
maintained lorries.

What about the vast majority of the time when they are undercut by an
industry working within the law using well maintained lorries (as any
successful haulier needs to do to remain in business). If rail was so
good then the business would flow it's way but in spite of massive
subsidies rail doen't even enter the picture, possibly 1950's mentality,
lack of flexability and **** poor customer satisfaction can be the root
causes of their ineptitude.
Old June 26th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

What has this got to do with making other road users aware of the limited
sightlines from the driving seat of a lorry?

My point precisely, they're just not fit to be used in an urban
environment and in any other industry wouldn't be allowed to.

Old June 26th 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
NM NM is offline

allan tracy wrote:
What has this got to do with making other road users aware of the limited
sightlines from the driving seat of a lorry?

My point precisely, they're just not fit to be used in an urban
environment and in any other industry wouldn't be allowed to.

So how would you see urban deliveries? A rail head at every supermarket
and high street perhaps?
Old June 26th 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.transport.london

NM wrote:
allan tracy wrote:

At every level the aviation and rail industry surpasses the HGV
industry on safety reliability and general adherence to the rules and
a fat lot of good it does them too, when they're undercut on price by
a bunch of cowboys working ninety hours a week on overloaded badly
maintained lorries.

What about the vast majority of the time when they are undercut by an
industry working within the law using well maintained lorries (as any
successful haulier needs to do to remain in business). If rail was so
good then the business would flow it's way but in spite of massive
subsidies rail doen't even enter the picture, possibly 1950's
mentality, lack of flexability and **** poor customer satisfaction
can be the root causes of their ineptitude.

Railborne freight receives no subsidy, unlike lorries.

What were you saying about 1950s mentality?

Still can't get used to seeing trains with pantographs at Shortlands Rupert Candy[_3_] London Transport 13 March 24th 09 03:57 PM
Best place to view A1 Tornado other than Kings Cross Martin J London Transport 2 February 7th 09 04:31 PM
enjoy seeing ranam London Transport 0 August 6th 08 12:09 PM
ENJOY SEEING PICTURES ranam London Transport 0 August 5th 08 11:00 AM
ADV: Drivers Eye View Videos Ben Nunn London Transport 0 May 16th 04 10:20 PM