Old February 16th 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

On Feb 13, 4:04*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 13 Feb, 15:41, "Paul Scott" wrote:

Another point that isn't clear, is what happens when the extra 4 tph from
Clapham Junction via the SLL, and the extra 2 tph peak only trains to/from
Crystal Palace enter the mix. *AFAICT that could mean up to 14 tph extended
to H&I, as there only ever seems to be New Cross - Dalston Junction
terminators mentioned...

It's been stated that the West Croydons will terminate at Dalston
Junction with New Crosses and Crystal Palaces running through. I don't
know how the peak extras or the phase 2 trains fit into this.

Please forgive me for asking a couple of dumb questions, but I can
easily see that I do not know this subject matter nearly as well as
the rest of you:

1) Has anybody heard anything on a North Battersea station for the
ELLX? If so, where would be the proposed location? At the end of
Culvert Road where it deadends into the train tracks (actually, there
is then an automobile tunnel under the first set of tracks, and then a
foot path over the second set of tracks. Is that anybody has proposed
it?

2) At Clapham Junction, is the platform entirely already there? Or
would there have to be some construction work?

3) I've been reading about this proposed "once-weekly" train from
Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth - the first question that comes to my
untrained mind is, "What in the world good is a once-weekly train
service???"

4) And I guess from Mr Thant's post, that nobody knows of the Phase 2
trains from Clapham Junction will deadend at Surrey Quays or keep on
going - surely they have this all figured out by now??? (years ago???)

Thanks in advance for any answers/comments. Glad I found this forum.

Old February 16th 09, 05:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb, 16:42, wrote:

On Feb 13, 4:04*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

[...]

A North Battersea/ Battersea High Street station is not seriously on
the agenda whatsoever.

One did exist between 1863 - 1940, see:
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...ndon_Line.html

2) *At Clapham Junction, is the platform entirely already there? *Or
would there have to be some construction work?

Platform 1 has to be reinstated - this will require work to the deck
it sits on. Platform 1 is the other side of the island platform from
platform 2 (obvious I suppose!), which is the platform currently used
by the LO/ WLL trains today. There were some rumours that cost cutting
meant they were going to try and both the whole ELLX and WLL services
from a single platform (p2) but this would be insane, asking for
trouble and essentially unworkable - the scheme needs p1 to be
reinstated.

3) *I've been reading about this proposed "once-weekly" train from
Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth - the first question that comes to my
untrained mind is, "What in the world good is a once-weekly train
service???"

A long story! Basically it would exist to fulfil legal obligations,
nothing more, just like the rail replacement bus supposedly currently
does (though it's arguably legally dubious).

4) *And I guess from Mr Thant's post, that nobody knows of the Phase 2
trains from Clapham Junction will deadend at Surrey Quays or keep on
going - surely they have this all figured out by now??? (years ago???)

No - the ELLX trains from Clapham Jn would continue at least as far as
Dalston Junction, possibly on to Highbury & Islington. No trains would
terminate at Surrey Quays.
Old February 16th 09, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

DERWENT East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:33:12 -0800 (PST), Mizter T

On 16 Feb, 16:42, wrote:

On Feb 13, 4:04*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

2) *At Clapham Junction, is the platform entirely already there? *Or
would there have to be some construction work?

Platform 1 has to be reinstated - this will require work to the deck
it sits on. Platform 1 is the other side of the island platform from
platform 2 (obvious I suppose!), which is the platform currently used
by the LO/ WLL trains today. There were some rumours that cost cutting
meant they were going to try and both the whole ELLX and WLL services
from a single platform (p2) but this would be insane, asking for
trouble and essentially unworkable - the scheme needs p1 to be
reinstated.

There's a whole load of signalling equipment installed in that space
which will need to be moved to new homes.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old February 16th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 16, 6:33*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 16 Feb, 16:42, wrote:

On Feb 13, 4:04*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. I just have two more short questions if you don't
mind:

(1) No, the "North Battersea" station that I am referring to (or the
"supposedly proposed North Battersea station") would be located he

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=Culvert+Road%2C+London&countryCode=GB#map=51.4 7047,-0.15918|17|4&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.47135 :-0.15843:17|Culvert%20Road,%20London|Culvert%20Road ,%20London,%20England,%20SW11%205

Do you see where Culvert Road goes under/over the tracks and then
meets up with Eversleigh Road (actually, it doesn't actually meet up -
the final part is a footbridge over the last set of tracks). I know a
guy down the street from me who says his girlfriend works at some
architect's office where they have drawn up some plans (might just be
some basic drawings - I don't know) for just such a station/stop/
platform (i.e., I'm not talking about the old Battersea High Street
station. This station is already on the selected route/track and just
would require extra money (who knows where that would come from).
Have you heard anything about this??? I'm sure it's a pipedream until
somebody comes up with the money, and in these tight times, it ain't
gonna happen.lll

(2) With regards to the ELLX trains going from Clapham Junction and
continuing on as far as Dalston Junction - that sounds great - it
would finally make the Clapham Junction area excellent for commuting
to the City (Shoredtich station, which is walkable to the City). But
my question concerns the "Liverpool Street Station" spur that I see on
the map on Wikipedia. And it has this pictu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sh...verpool_St.jpg

Would a commuter from Clapham Junction be able to go direct to
Liverpool Street station? Or would the commuter have to switch to
that spur that I see in that picture? Or would the commuter have to
walk/take the bus. I'm trying to assess the accessability for
commuting to the City. Commuting to Canary Wharf looks excellent
(streets ahead of the current mess of grabbing a packed train to
Waterloo, then walking a mile to get to the Jubilee Line and then get
on another packed train which takes ages to get to Canary Wharf.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 16th 09, 07:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Thanks for that. I just have two more short questions if you don't
mind:

(2) With regards to the ELLX trains going from Clapham Junction and
continuing on as far as Dalston Junction - that sounds great - it
would finally make the Clapham Junction area excellent for commuting
to the City (Shoredtich station, which is walkable to the City). But
my question concerns the "Liverpool Street Station" spur that I see on
the map on Wikipedia. And it has this pictu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sh...verpool_St.jpg

Would a commuter from Clapham Junction be able to go direct to
Liverpool Street station? Or would the commuter have to switch to
that spur that I see in that picture?

That picture is well out of date, [no doubt someone will shortly tell us
exactly when the track was lifted connecting the LU ELL to Liverpool St -
1970s?], the new build Overground ELL rises up to the east of the closed
Shoreditch station (pictured) and crosses the Liverpool Street lines on a
new high level approach, over the infamous GE19 bridge that collapsed last
year while being positioned.

Paul

Old February 16th 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:42:37 UTC, schrieb
auf uk.railway :

3) I've been reading about this proposed "once-weekly" train from
Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth - the first question that comes to my
untrained mind is, "What in the world good is a once-weekly train
service???"

Going to church or Sunday school?

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old February 16th 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

In article
,
wrote:
(2) With regards to the ELLX trains going from Clapham Junction and
continuing on as far as Dalston Junction - that sounds great - it
would finally make the Clapham Junction area excellent for commuting
to the City (Shoredtich station, which is walkable to the City). But
my question concerns the "Liverpool Street Station" spur that I see on
the map on Wikipedia. And it has this pictu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sh...verpool_St.jpg

Would a commuter from Clapham Junction be able to go direct to
Liverpool Street station? Or would the commuter have to switch to
that spur that I see in that picture?

That spur was taken out many years ago and is not going to be replaced.

--
David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
www.davidhwild.me.uk
Old February 16th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

If Clapham Junction to Canary Wharf really is going to be faster than
the via Waterloo route, I think it'll do the line more bad than good
because it will be absolutely packed from opening.

Old February 16th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 16, 8:47*pm, sweek wrote:
If Clapham Junction to Canary Wharf really is going to be faster than
the via Waterloo route, I think it'll do the line more bad than good
because it will be absolutely packed from opening.

Well, if it becomes packed it might just justify longer trains then