Old February 18th 09, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

Commuters may also favour one train rather than two, even when the change is
fairly easy.
--
Andrew

If you stand up and be counted,
From time to time you may get yourself knocked down.
But remember this:
A man flattened by an opponent can get up again.
A man flattened by conformity stays down for good.
- Thomas J. Watson Jr.

Old February 18th 09, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12 Feb, 19:13, Mizter T wrote:
On 12 Feb, 18:43, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote ...

Anyway I didn't really mean to focus so much on the issues surrounding
the oncoming ELLX link to Clapham Jn - I think it's great that it's
happening, it completes the picture of an orbital route around London
- but I don't think it's great because it'll look all neat and tidy on
a map, I think it's great because it'll be genuinely useful.

I agree and all credit to Boris for bringing Ken's dream to reality. And I'm
not just being snarky; Ken saw the potential of the North London Line in his
GLC days, and has carried on recognizing that underfunded inner London
routes can be developed for Londoners, and fighting for funding. Boris has
done well not to cut this like he has cut all the other projects - but he
needs to prove himself by focussing on the next lines to be sequestered. As
Ken would have done. Indeed, as Ken announced he would do.

I absolutely agree about Ken and indeed I've made much the same point
in the past - Livingstone has long had a passionate involvement in
London's transport, and he brought this heritage to the table on
becoming Mayor which led on to projects such as the ELLX and the
London Overground takeover. In other words this was his doing, no
doubt!

TfL never got hold of Southern's Metro routes but we can at least be
thankful that their fingerprints are all over the franchise
requirements (more staffed and improved stations, more services etc)
thanks to lobbying by TfL under the old Mayor.

Afraid I can't really see Boris keenly pursuing the strategy of
transferring custodianship of London rail routes over to TfL. I
suppose it's possible that some things could change when the planets
next align themselves, i.e. when the Mayor and the government are of
the same hue (in 2010), though nothing in particular appears to be on
the agenda in that regard.-

I wonder how many other lines would be suitable for "London
Overground" branding anyway?

LTS - No real distinct services

Great Eastern - will be crossrail

West Anglia - possibly Enfield & Chingford services

Great Northern - possibly Welwyn & Hertford services

MML to St Albans - part of Thameslink

Chiltern - not unless the "Chiltern Metro" proposals ever happen.

Great Western - will be Crossrail, possibly West Ealing - Greenford
could be LO branded

SWT - maybe the Hounslow & Kingston loops and Chessington services.

Southern - remains to be seen

Southeastern - maybe the local services to Dartford & Hayes
Old February 18th 09, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote:
I wonder how many other lines would be suitable for "London
Overground" branding anyway?

West Anglia - possibly Enfield & Chingford services

Good idea.

Great Northern - possibly Welwyn & Hertford services

Really should have happened already.

FCC to St Albans - part of Thameslink

Good Idea

SWT - maybe the Hounslow & Kingston loops and Chessington services.
Southern - remains to be seen
Southeastern - maybe the local services to Dartford & Hayes

Some services, rather than whole lines, I suspect.
--

Andrew

"She plays the tuba.
It is the only instrument capable
of imitating a distress call."

Old February 18th 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Feb 18, 5:28*pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
On 12 Feb, 19:13, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

Like the DC lines Euston - Watford Junction, I would imagine that any
services that transfer to TfL will be the ones that run mainly inside
the current zones, maybe with a terminus just outside. So Southern is
likely to be those running to Caterham, Epsom, Croydon plus the
various Victoria - Crystal Palace - London Bridge / Beckenham etc
(i.e. those formed mainly of 455s), For SWT I would add the Hampton
court and maybe even the Woking / Guildford locals. For Chiltern, the
services via Amersham might qualify (they are effectively part of a
joint service already). Thameslink I would imagine that once services
have settled down, TfL might take over the inner suburban routes, even
if just branding and paying for evening services.
Old February 18th 09, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Feb, 19:13, Mizter T wrote:

I wonder how many other lines would be suitable for "London
Overground" branding anyway?

LTS - No real distinct services

Great Eastern - will be crossrail

West Anglia - possibly Enfield & Chingford services

Great Northern - possibly Welwyn & Hertford services

MML to St Albans - part of Thameslink

Chiltern - not unless the "Chiltern Metro" proposals ever happen.

Great Western - will be Crossrail, possibly West Ealing - Greenford
could be LO branded

SWT - maybe the Hounslow & Kingston loops and Chessington services.

Southern - remains to be seen

Southeastern - maybe the local services to Dartford & Hayes

Plus Orpington (both via Grove Park & Herne Hill). The Sevenoaks
services will of course be Thameslink.

--
Current nearest station: Shortlands