Old March 1st 09, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default BBC - US firm 'set for Crossrail deal'

In message , at 17:43:30 on Sat, 28
Feb 2009, Tim Fenton remarked:
Why would I, sitting here this Friday evening, know the names of
agencies in a different industry to mine, without first researching it?

Which means you don't know.

Why does it matter that I don't know the answer - what's important is
understanding the process of getting the answer.

Old March 1st 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:03:00 on
Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Recliner remarked:
Mp point was that some of the staff may not even have agreed to do it
in the first place. How do you plan for something like that, if say,
50% more staff choose to take Christmas off than previous years?

If the staff choose to take Xmas off, then the agency will know that
in advance. The client will then be told how many engineers are
available, and if the client doesn't adapt his workplan to
accommodate that, it's the client's fault.

Wasn't the problem that staff had agreed to work over the xmas holiday,
and did, but were not willing (or allowed by their wives) to continue
working when the job overran?

My recollection is that it only over-ran because of the initial
double-booking of contractors.
Old March 2nd 09, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Why would I, sitting here this Friday evening, know the names of
agencies in a different industry to mine, without first researching it?

Which means you don't know.

Why does it matter that I don't know the answer - what's important is
understanding the process of getting the answer.

If you don't know - conceded at last - then how do you know that there would
be any point in "casting your net wider"? To know that there would be any
utility in that idea, you would have to know ... your whole
argument/approach/whatever you want to call it goes in a circle.

And what's important about *that* is that it's not going to get you an
answer.

--
Tim
http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net/

Old March 2nd 09, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:22:30 on Mon, 2
Mar 2009, Tim Fenton remarked:

Why would I, sitting here this Friday evening, know the names of
agencies in a different industry to mine, without first researching it?

Which means you don't know.

Why does it matter that I don't know the answer - what's important is
understanding the process of getting the answer.

If you don't know - conceded at last

"at last" - I said so six messages up the thread.

- then how do you know that there would be any point in "casting your
net wider"?

Because it's a standard project management technique.

To know that there would be any utility in that idea, you would have to
know

So project managers have to know the answer to everything, before they
even start? Where can I buy one of the crystal balls?

Old March 2nd 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

- then how do you know that there would be any point in "casting your net
wider"?

Because it's a standard project management technique.

To know that there would be any utility in that idea, you would have to
know

So project managers have to know the answer to everything, before they
even start? Where can I buy one of the crystal balls?

Round and round you go again. It has zero relevance to project management.
Says a middlingly experienced and appropriately qualified TPM.

As I said previously, switch off the lights when you're through.

Old March 2nd 09, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 16:31:54 on Mon, 2
Mar 2009, Tim Fenton remarked:
So project managers have to know the answer to everything, before
they even start? Where can I buy one of the crystal balls?

Round and round you go again. It has zero relevance to project
management. Says a middlingly experienced and appropriately qualified
TPM.

We started off asking whether Bechtel, as PM at Rugby, was responsible
for sourcing replacement/additional OHL contractors.

If your position is that it's not their job, then that rather stifles
the debate. I hope the tooth fairy finds the contractors for them.
Old March 5th 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23 Feb, 00:32, Mizter T wrote:

Anyway, the but about proven competence (or some such similar words)
immediately led me to think of those behind building the CTRL (aka
HS1) - despite all the other issues surround this controversial link
it was nonetheless delivered both on time and on budget (both sections
1 and 2). It was built by the Rail Link Engineering (RLE) consortium,
which was 52% owned by Bechtel, other owners being Arup, Halcrow and
Systra.

Sorry, only just catching up with this but... in respect of the calim
that CTRL/HS1 section 2 was "delivered both on time and on budget"...
don't belive the hype. In late 2005, the planned opening date for
CTRL was June/July 2007. It was only when they realised they wouldn't
make that date that November 2007 was then targeted. Obviously the
only date publicly announced was the one they knew they could meet
(and even then they struggled!).
Old March 5th 09, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2009-03-05 18:06:30 +0000, jon b said:

On 23 Feb, 00:32, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

It's the old project management joke. PM to customer: There are three
main parameters for this project, quality, time, or cost. Which two do
you want?
--
Robert

Old March 5th 09, 10:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2009-03-05 18:06:30 +0000, jon b said:

On 23 Feb, 00:32, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

The version i've heard has scope, time, and cost. And the projects
management i've come across in my industry has generally only managed to
deliver one of them!

tom

--
i'm prepared to do anything as long as someone else works out how to do
it and gives me simple instructions... -- Sean