Old March 10th 09, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East Croydon to St Albans on FCC with stopover

I wish to buy a return from East Croydon to St Albans. I'll go direct
with FCC, but on return I'd like to get out at Farringdon before
continuing to East Croydon. Any ideas how to achieve this in the most
cost-effective way?

Assuming I'm not permitted to break the journey, I could use my Oyster
PAYG to exit. But then I suppose I'd get charged the max fare? Or could
I touch in at the point between the FCC and LUL platforms before
touching in at the barrier on exit... but would I then be charged?

As far as I know, the ticket is via any permitted route. So perhaps
exiting at a terminal is possible?

Incidentally, and annoyingly, I notice that a return from St Albans to
East Croydon is cheaper. Strangely (to me anyway), even cheaper still is
a "Travelcard" from St Albans which presumably allows you to go Z5 East
Croydon.

--
jimbo99
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 10th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

jimbo99 wrote:
I wish to buy a return from East Croydon to St Albans. I'll go direct
with FCC, but on return I'd like to get out at Farringdon before
continuing to East Croydon. Any ideas how to achieve this in the most
cost-effective way?

Assuming I'm not permitted to break the journey...

From what you have said (assuming you are on an 'anytime' or 'offpeak' day
return) you are definitely allowed to break your journey. However whether
at an LU or NR station you should not expect your ticket to work the
barriers mid journey, so you will need to approach a staff member to be let
out, and back in later.

Paul S

Old March 10th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

jimbo99 wrote in
:

I wish to buy a return from East Croydon to St Albans. I'll go direct
with FCC, but on return I'd like to get out at Farringdon before
continuing to East Croydon. Any ideas how to achieve this in the most
cost-effective way?

Assuming I'm not permitted to break the journey, I could use my Oyster
PAYG to exit. But then I suppose I'd get charged the max fare? Or could
I touch in at the point between the FCC and LUL platforms before
touching in at the barrier on exit... but would I then be charged?

As far as I know, the ticket is via any permitted route. So perhaps
exiting at a terminal is possible?

Incidentally, and annoyingly, I notice that a return from St Albans to
East Croydon is cheaper. Strangely (to me anyway), even cheaper still is
a "Travelcard" from St Albans which presumably allows you to go Z5 East
Croydon.

You may find it cheaper to buy an all-zones day travelcard and a return
from Boundary Zone 6 (BZ6) to St. Albans. This would obviously allow break
of journey at Farringdon (as well as travel on the fast FCC services from
London to St. Albans).

If you are travelling before 09.30 it won't be cheaper as the all zones
peak day travelcard is £14.80 (East Croydon to St, Albans Peak Day return
is £18.00, and peak BZ6 to St. Albans is more than £3.20). If you are
travelling after 09.30 or at the weekend then the off peak day travelcard
is £7.50 (plus whatever BZ6 to St. Albans is) against £17.00 for the
through fare, but you get 1/3 off the £17.00 with a network card but only
get 1/3 off the £7.50 plus BZ6-St. Albans if you have a Gold Card or other
suitable railcard (as the £10.00 minimum fare with a network card kicks
in), or it's the weekend (when network card's £10.00 minimum fare doesn't
apply).