Old January 10th 08, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default St Albans Country Bus Running Day Questions

A last minute change of plan (job cancellation, sadly) had the up-side
that I'll be able to get along to the St Albans Country Bus Running Day
this Sunday (13 January). I've never been along to one before as
weekends tend to be workdays for me and am really looking forward to it.

Now as there isn't time for me to send off for one of the running
sheets, can anyone here tell me:

(a) What time things start

and

(b) Where I can buy one of the timing sheets when I arrive on the day.

Please note I'm *not *trying to avoid paying for one (indeed, I'm more
than happy to do so, as it helps pay for the day), so this is all the
information I want.

Hope someone can help.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old January 10th 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

A last minute change of plan (job cancellation, sadly) had the up-side
that I'll be able to get along to the St Albans Country Bus Running Day
this Sunday (13 January). I've never been along to one before as
weekends tend to be workdays for me and am really looking forward to it.

Now as there isn't time for me to send off for one of the running
sheets, can anyone here tell me:

(a) What time things start

and

(b) Where I can buy one of the timing sheets when I arrive on the day.

http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.smit...BR/CBR08SA.htm

seems to provide most of the answers, I hadn't even heard of this event but
am thinking of tagging along now. Thanks for the heads up!

Best Wishes,
LEWIS

Old January 10th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.smit...BR/CBR08SA.htm

seems to provide most of the answers, I hadn't even heard of this event

but
am thinking of tagging along now. Thanks for the heads up!

OK, on further inspection, it provides neither of the answers you are
looking for - but given that the feeder buses arrive in St Albans around
10am, that would seem to suggest that that is a good time to start.

Best Wishes,
LEWIS

Old January 10th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

A last minute change of plan (job cancellation, sadly) had the up-side
that I'll be able to get along to the St Albans Country Bus Running Day
this Sunday (13 January). ...

Now as there isn't time for me to send off for one of the running
sheets, can anyone here tell me:
(a) What time things start
and
(b) Where I can buy one of the timing sheets when I arrive on the day.

Hope someone can help.

Like Lew 1, I have some info but not what you're asking for:

This Sunday (13th) Sullivan Buses will be running green RML2428 (with
full blinds) as a duplicate to the dart on Herts route 656 at 0945,
1215 and 1415 from St Albans City Stn (St Peters St 5 mins later) to
Borehamwood via Shenley. In the other direction buses start at Ripon
Park in Borehamwood at 1045 and 1315 (calling at Tescos 6 mins later)
but do not serve the Station.
Normal fares (inc explorer acceptance) applies as this service is NOT
part of the St Albans running day.

and
METROLINE TRAVEL LIMITED - RMC 1513
321 FREE SERVICE ALPERTON - ST ALBANS
SUNDAY 13th JANUARY 2008 ONLY
WILL ALSO STOP ON REQUEST AT ALL INTERMEDIATE STOPS
Please signal very clearly to the driver if you wish him to stop

ALPERTON Bus Garage Bridgwater Rd 0905
Sudbury & Harrow Road Station 0908
Harrow & Wealdstone Station 0920
Chiswell Green Three Hammers 0950
St Albans St Peters Street 1000

St Albans St Peters Street 1715
Chiswell Green Three Hammers 1725
Harrow & Wealdstone Station 1751
Sudbury & Harrow Road Station 1807
ALPERTON Bus Garage 1810

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old January 10th 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

There is always at these events a tent selling the timetables, and usually
other vendors as well. At St Albans last year it was if remember right, on
the pavement in St Peters Street.
Journeys start at around 9 or 10 am.

Chris Cook
Beckenham, Kent

Old January 11th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:25:59 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message ,
writes
There is always at these events a tent selling the timetables, and usually
other vendors as well. At St Albans last year it was if remember right, on
the pavement in St Peters Street.
Journeys start at around 9 or 10 am.

Right, thanks to everyone that replied, either on-group or by e-mail.

As Chris has said, things begin between 0900 and 1000 and there's a tent
(described as a "gazebo") in Saint Peter's Street.

Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

But be aware that FCC servcie to St Albans is very limited (2 per
hour), They are providing their own rail-bus service between there and
Hatfield to try and reduce overcrowding.

--
Peter Lawrence
Old January 11th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:25:59 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message ,
writes
There is always at these events a tent selling the timetables, and usually
other vendors as well. At St Albans last year it was if remember right, on
the pavement in St Peters Street.
Journeys start at around 9 or 10 am.

Right, thanks to everyone that replied, either on-group or by e-mail.

As Chris has said, things begin between 0900 and 1000 and there's a tent
(described as a "gazebo") in Saint Peter's Street.

Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

But be aware that FCC servcie to St Albans is very limited (2 per
hour),

Considering two trains per hour "very limited" is a very urban way of
looking at transport provision in the UK. :-))

Old January 14th 08, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , Ian Jelf
writes
In message ,
writes
There is always at these events a tent selling the timetables, and usually
other vendors as well. At St Albans last year it was if remember right, on
the pavement in St Peters Street.
Journeys start at around 9 or 10 am.

Right, thanks to everyone that replied, either on-group or by e-mail.

As Chris has said, things begin between 0900 and 1000 and there's a
tent (described as a "gazebo") in Saint Peter's Street.

Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

This was a wonderful day and - of anyone responsible for organising or
working on the day is reading this, [pl;ease accept this as a sincere
"thank you" from someone who thoroughly enjoyed your efforts.

The conductor on RT 3254 deserves a special mention for his "living
history" work!

Thanks again and thoroughly recommended for anyone who's not done one of
these before.

Old LT Country Bus network. [email protected] London Transport 21 February 26th 10 09:29 PM
East Croydon to St Albans on FCC with stopover jimbo99 London Transport 2 March 10th 09 09:49 PM
LT Country Bus inspectors cap London Transport 0 November 13th 04 08:44 AM
I've been to London for business meetings and told myself that I'd be back to see London for myself. (rather than flying one day and out the next) I've used the tube briefly and my questions a Stuart Teo London Transport 4 January 30th 04 03:57 PM
Brian Hardy talks about Berlin U-Bahn and S-Bahn in St Albans on Thursday John Rowland London Transport 0 November 12th 03 12:41 AM