Old March 11th 09, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Great Porland Street drips

For several weeks now I have noticed buckets collecting water dripping
from the roof on both platforms at Great Portland Street, the drips
fall onto the track. A member of staff is employed emptying the
buckets. Sandbags lay on the platform to stop the water spreading.
Is this ground water soaking in, or a leaking drainage/water pipe? Is
it going to be fixed or are the buckets long term!?
John

Old March 11th 09, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I was always fascinated by thie at GPS. About 8 years back, they had
copper troughs underneath drippy platform areas which fed into pipes
where the water drained to.

I guess it's just a feature of the station

Hatton Cross underground has a veritable stream running out of the
westbound platform wall into the gutter below the tracks.
Old March 11th 09, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 11, 11:40*am, wrote:
I was always fascinated by thie at GPS. About 8 years back, they had
copper troughs underneath drippy platform areas which fed into pipes
where the water drained to.

I guess it's just a feature of the station

Hatton Cross underground has a veritable stream running out of the
westbound platform wall into the gutter below the tracks.

There is a spring at Tooting Broadway, probably part of that mind-
boggling River Wandle complex. It is far below ground. A copper pipe
has been connected to the wall to direct the flow into a gutter. I do
not know where the gutter goes. The water is clear and looks
drinkable, but the pipe is so near the floor that it is hard to get
any reasonable amount of the water into a cup. I would estimate that a
pint comes out every 15-20 seconds.
Old March 11th 09, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 11, 12:22*pm, Offramp wrote:
There is a spring at Tooting Broadway, probably part of that mind-
boggling River Wandle complex. It is far below ground. A copper pipe
has been connected to the wall to direct the flow into a gutter. I do
not know where the gutter goes. The water is clear and looks
drinkable, but the pipe is so near the floor that it is hard to get

With the amount of pollution from industry and open sewers thats gone
into the ground around london over the last few hundred years I
wouldn't trust the water from any spring within a 20 mile radius of
the centre.

B2003

Old March 12th 09, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James
Farrar writes
wrote in news:a7d873ab-b3fb-4e3f-af21-
:

For several weeks now I have noticed buckets collecting water dripping
from the roof on both platforms at Great Portland Street, the drips
fall onto the track. A member of staff is employed emptying the
buckets. Sandbags lay on the platform to stop the water spreading.
Is this ground water soaking in, or a leaking drainage/water pipe? Is
it going to be fixed or are the buckets long term!?

There's a sign in the ticket hall that says that Thames Water are
investigating a leak.

Investigations are obviously slow!

Have you ever *dealt* with Thames Water?! My attempts to report a leak
some years ago were some of the most frustrating I've ever had with any
large organisation (and I've had many, believe me).

They should have alerted South Staffordshire Water. *They* respond to
things in nanoseconds! (They do serve areas outside South
Staffordshire, too but I suspect Great Portland Street might be a bit
beyond their boundary, sadly.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 13th 09, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote in
:

In message , James
Farrar writes

There's a sign in the ticket hall that says that Thames Water are
investigating a leak.

Investigations are obviously slow!

Have you ever *dealt* with Thames Water?! My attempts to report a leak
some years ago were some of the most frustrating I've ever had with any
large organisation (and I've had many, believe me).

*LOL*

I looked this morning; it actually says "burst water main at street level".
Old March 13th 09, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Hatton Cross underground has a veritable stream running out of the
westbound platform wall into the gutter below the tracks. ....

I have stood many times at Hatton Cross and heard running water,
thought it was a running tap. I guess it must be just inside the
tunnel entrance. Maybe a tributary of the River Crane, as the track
rises briefly from the tunnel between Hatton Cross and Hounslow West
to go over that river.

Thanks for the information on Great Portald Street, guess Thames Water
have a leaking main above the station.