Old March 19th 09, 05:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate Thameslink platforms....

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:23:38 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

They'll probably just lift the tracks as far as they need to to build the
southbound platform extension.

Or just build it straight over the top without bothering.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old March 20th 09, 06:12 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Stephen O'Connell wrote:

Peter Masson wrote:
wrote

What is going to happen with the FCC Thameslink bays at Moorgate
once the last train leaves, which I understand will be on 20 March.

That's what most of this thread is about. They will remain available
for several months, but no passenger trains are likely to use them.
After the junction at Farringdon is severed, the consensus here is
that there will then be no rail use for them.

I like the shopping mall idea, as mentioned above! But they'll probably
just sit there derelict for years.

The best idea i've come up with is to use them to extend the DLR from Bank
to Farringdon. I'm not entirely sure how you get from Farringdon to
Moorgate, though - might need to do a lap round Finsbury Circus to gain
enough altitude.

tom

--
In my view, this is no different than a parent introducing his child to
Shakespeare (except that the iambic pentameter is replaced by a framework
Old March 21st 09, 03:23 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote:
wrote

What is going to happen with the FCC Thameslink bays at Moorgate
once the last train leaves, which I understand will be on 20 March.

That's what most of this thread is about. They will remain available
for several months, but no passenger trains are likely to use them.
After the junction at Farringdon is severed, the consensus here is
that there will then be no rail use for them.

I like the shopping mall idea, as mentioned above! But they'll
probably just sit there derelict for years.

The best idea i've come up with is to use them to extend the DLR from
Bank to Farringdon. I'm not entirely sure how you get from Farringdon
to Moorgate, though - might need to do a lap round Finsbury Circus to
gain enough altitude.

I doubt there would be the funding made available for such a scheme,
even if the rquired tunnelling could be achieved.

Old March 21st 09, 03:28 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Peter Masson wrote:
[...]

I can't see how such a DLR extension, which might have its own merits,
could make use of the Thameslink Moorgate platforms. It might as well
go to St Pancras at tube level.
Old March 21st 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Stephen O'Connell" wrote

The best idea i've come up with is to use them to extend the DLR from
Bank to Farringdon. I'm not entirely sure how you get from Farringdon
to Moorgate, though - might need to do a lap round Finsbury Circus to
gain enough altitude.

I doubt there would be the funding made available for such a scheme,
even if the rquired tunnelling could be achieved.

Isn't the long term wish list for the Bank branch of the DLR to extend it to
Charing Cross, perhaps terminating in the Jubilee Line platforms? I'm not
sure what if any intermediate stations would be included.

Peter

Old March 21st 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 4:31 pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Stephen O'Connell" wrote

The best idea i've come up with is to use them to extend the DLR from
Bank to Farringdon. I'm not entirely sure how you get from Farringdon
to Moorgate, though - might need to do a lap round Finsbury Circus to
gain enough altitude.

I doubt there would be the funding made available for such a scheme,
even if the rquired tunnelling could be achieved.

Isn't the long term wish list for the Bank branch of the DLR to extend it to
Charing Cross, perhaps terminating in the Jubilee Line platforms? I'm not
sure what if any intermediate stations would be included.

Peter

(Liverpool Street) / Moorgate / Barbican / Farringdon / (City)
pedestrian walkway / travolator link.

I don't think trying to incorporate the route into any exisitng rail
route or scheme makes any sense, it just does not fit, so use it for
passengers to get to other existing stations.

--
Nick
Old March 21st 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote

(Liverpool Street) / Moorgate / Barbican / Farringdon / (City)
pedestrian walkway / travolator link.

I'm not sure that the benefits of this would be worthwhile, given the
presence of LUL and in future of Crossrail on this axis.

Peter

Old March 21st 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 21, 4:31*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Stephen O'Connell" wrote

The best idea i've come up with is to use them to extend the DLR from
Bank to Farringdon. I'm not entirely sure how you get from Farringdon
to Moorgate, though - might need to do a lap round Finsbury Circus to
gain enough altitude.

I doubt there would be the funding made available for such a scheme,
even if the rquired tunnelling could be achieved.

Isn't the long term wish list for the Bank branch of the DLR to extend it to
Charing Cross, perhaps terminating in the Jubilee Line platforms? I'm not
sure what if any intermediate stations would be included.

The Bank branch of the DLR points north, at least by the time it
reaches Bank.

I thought that the possbility was to leave Bank as it is, create a
replacement station for Tower Gateway on a straight section of the
existing tunnel, create a new branch towards Charing Cross where the
tunnel is still pointing west and close the existing Tower Gateway.

So Charing Cross would replace Tower Gateway as a terminus for some
services.

But that would make the recent expenditure on rebuilding Tower Gateway
rather extravagant.
Old March 21st 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

I'm not at all certain about what is planned but doesn't Farringdon
Crossrail station end up being "double ended" with Barbican? Would
the Crossrail construction for this take up part of the abandoned
Thameslink alignment thus rendering any use of it as sidings or
running track pointless?

I have a vague recollection that the Crossrail escalators at Barbican will
cut through the former Thameslink running lines.

Old March 21st 09, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote ...
Isn't the long term wish list for the Bank branch of the DLR to extend it
Charing Cross, perhaps terminating in the Jubilee Line platforms? I'm not
sure what if any intermediate stations would be included.

Ludgate Circus (aka City Thameslink), and some say Aldwych - which is
conceivable (but very expensive) as a site, but not the current (closed)
station - wrong level, wrong axis, and simply adds to complications and
cost.

--

Andrew

"She plays the tuba.