London Banter

-   -   Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7770-extra-watford-junction-euston-services.html)

[email protected] March 24th 09 07:22 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

Watford Euston train services

Press release from Claire Ward MP for Watford

March 24th 2009

MP sees light at the end of the tunnel for Watford Commuters

There was good news for commuters using the Watford to Euston
train services following talks in London today between Watford
MP, Claire Ward, and train boss, Steve Banaghan.

The MP was told that at least nine new services will be
introduced for Watford, Bushey and Harrow over the next few
months after she had received hundreds of complaints about an
"appalling service" with poor time keeping, overcrowding and
missed connections.

Ms Ward presented the findings of her Better Trains survey to
Mr Banaghan ,the Managing Director of London Midland which took
over local train services from the previous operator Silverlink
in December last year.

Claire said “My survey clearly shows that people remain very
unhappy with the services as they currently run. There are too
many delays and cancellations and carriages are at times
dangerously overcrowded. The survey also displayed that more
than anything passengers want an increased number of train
services at peak times. Mr Banaghan has thanked me for the
useful contribution my survey has made and notes that its
findings are similar to London Midlands own research.”

“I am pleased to say that thanks to my efforts and the outrage
expressed by so many commuters, London Midland are reasonably
confident that they will be able to introduce nine new “bounce
back” train services which will go directly from London Euston
to Watford Junction and then back via Bushey and Harrow at peak
times. This could mean as many as 2,500 extra seats per day and
will make a huge difference directly to those commuters who use
those stations as well as indirectly to passengers travelling
from stations like Kings Langley.”

“I made it clear to Mr Banaghan that things are still not good
enough but these extra services will be a good start to
resolving the problems with rail services in my constituency.
Mr Banaghan will contact me in the next few weeks to let me
know if he receives approval for the services.”

If successfully introduced, the nine new services (five in the
morning, four in the evening) will be brought in from May 2009
onward.

Ends

Claire's website can be found at www.claire-ward.org.uk

-------------------

John Burke
WRUG

Claire's website can be found at www.claire-ward.org.uk

-------------------

John Burke
WRUG

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something. They are even doing something about the ****e schools in
Watford. Anybody would think there was an election in a couple of years.

Kevin

Tony Polson[_2_] March 24th 09 07:48 PM

"Zen83237" wrote:

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something. They are even doing something about the ****e schools in
Watford. Anybody would think there was an election in a couple of years.

Welcome to politics! ;-)

The election must be held by mid-June 2010, so less than 15 months away.

[email protected] March 24th 09 07:56 PM

On Mar 24, 8:38*pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Except for the fact the LM managers where talking about this a month
or two back at their meet the manager session (there was a post from
Neil Williams a month or two back about this). Just like a politician,
take the credit for someone else's idea ;)

Neil Williams March 24th 09 07:59 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:38:40 -0000, "Zen83237"
wrote:

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something.

Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was
planned to start in December, not May. It was one of the reasons for
their request to retain further 321s, a figure which I now believe is
up to 10 rather than the original 7.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams March 24th 09 08:11 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:59:22 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was

Actually possibly it wasn't that long ago. But still...

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] March 24th 09 08:41 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

Williams) wrote:
Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? *It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was

Actually possibly it wasn't that long ago. *But still...

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

John Burke

[email protected] March 24th 09 08:43 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

John Burke

Sorry December 2009!

Paul Scott March 24th 09 08:49 PM

wrote:
On Mar 24, 9:11 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:59:22 GMT,
(Neil

Williams) wrote:
Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was

Actually possibly it wasn't that long ago. But still...

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

I wonder if back then they were not expecting to retain any 321s once the
350/2s had all arrived. Originally all 37 321s were lined up for other TOCs
in the DfT rolling stock plan. So the extra services would require the later
additions planned for the LM fleet.

It is still possible that however many 321s they initially retain, they will
subsequently be replaced by more 350s anyway.

Paul S

Neil Williams March 24th 09 08:51 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:49:08 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I wonder if back then they were not expecting to retain any 321s once the
350/2s had all arrived.

They were - they let slip that they were keeping 7 at the MtM before
the one when they mentioned the Watford services, as I recall.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Batman55 March 24th 09 09:56 PM

wrote:

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something.

Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was
planned to start in December, not May. It was one of the reasons for
their request to retain further 321s, a figure which I now believe is
up to 10 rather than the original 7.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

It might even have had something to do with me and colleagues freezing our
butts off on stations and squeezing on to rush hour trains to come up with
the actual loading figures for managers to make a decision!

MaxB

[email protected] March 24th 09 10:07 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

wrote:
I wonder if back then they were not expecting to retain any 321s once the
350/2s had all arrived.

They were - they let slip that they were keeping 7 at the MtM before
the one when they mentioned the Watford services, as I recall.

Maybe LM persuaded DfT that it was a bit silly to be trumpeting an
increase in capacity without LM actually having any more units to run
their services. I assume that the 321s will be kept at least until LM
get their share of the 1300 DfT vehicles (although that was only an
extra 4 x 4 coach units for Euston - Northampton) or maybe until the
planned IEP units arrive to replace the Northampton Fasts.

Peter Masson March 25th 09 06:57 AM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

"Batman55" wrote

It might even have had something to do with me and colleagues freezing our
butts off on stations and squeezing on to rush hour trains to come up with
the actual loading figures for managers to make a decision!

Southeastern 375s have load wighing to give the managers this information.
What other TOCs use this system?

Peter

[email protected] March 25th 09 08:10 AM

On 24 Mar, 21:49, "Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 24, 9:11 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:59:22 GMT,
(Neil

Williams) wrote:
Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was

Actually possibly it wasn't that long ago. But still...

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

I wonder if back then they were not expecting to retain any 321s once the
350/2s had all arrived. Originally all 37 321s were lined up for other TOCs
in the DfT rolling stock plan. So the extra services would require the later
additions planned for the LM fleet.

It is still possible that however many 321s they initially retain, they will
subsequently be replaced by more 350s anyway.

Paul S

Yes, there's an OJEU notice out for between 8 and 11 four-car trains
(to replace the retained 321s?) and 18 3-car trains.
The guess (and it really is a guess) is that the DfT has decided to
send the 323s to Northern, rather than order new trains there, and put
new trains into the West Midlands.
Assuming these trains have to work with the existing fleet the spec
all but says "Desiro" on it, and this would be quite sensible - give
two TOCs a single-train-type fleet rather than splits.

Tony

[email protected] March 25th 09 08:11 AM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

On 25 Mar, 07:57, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Batman55" wrote

It might even have had something to do with me and colleagues freezing our
butts off on stations and squeezing on to rush hour trains to come up with
the actual loading figures for managers to make a decision!

Southeastern 375s have load wighing to give the managers this information.
What other TOCs use this system?

Peter

Southern 377s and, I thought, LM 350s...! (I'm sure its a franchise
commitment?).

There are others - possibly on SWT?

Tony

Neil Williams March 25th 09 09:01 AM

On 24 Mar, 21:41, wrote:

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

The logical conclusion to this in my view is that the infrastructure
work should be done to allow through running to St Albans on a half-
hourly 8-car service to/from Euston throughout the day with a few peak
extras, and to withdraw all stops south of Watford (and some at
Watford) from other services.

Neil

[email protected] March 25th 09 09:23 AM

On 25 Mar, 10:01, Neil Williams wrote:
On 24 Mar, 21:41, wrote:

Steve Banaghan did mention it at an Abfly meeting last October, but
said it would probably come in December 2010.

The logical conclusion to this in my view is that the infrastructure
work should be done to allow through running to St Albans on a half-
hourly 8-car service to/from Euston throughout the day with a few peak
extras, and to withdraw all stops south of Watford (and some at
Watford) from other services.

8 coach services to St. Albans looks expensive!! All of the stations
would need extended platforms and St. Albans Abbey might be a bit
cramped to fit a longer platform in. I'm not saying that it isn't a
good idea, but it would be easier to get the 30 min service running
first, with the loop at Bricket Wood (which was the original plan) and
maybe adding 4 coaches at Watford Junction. I.e. work the service like
the Birmingham services which detach / attach at Northampton.

zen83237 March 25th 09 05:22 PM

wrote:

12 years in power and finally Claire Ward is getting off her backside and
doing something.

Talking to London Midland about something they were going to do
anyway, you mean? It was their idea, and they told me about it at a
Meet the Manager about 6 months ago, though at that point it was
planned to start in December, not May. It was one of the reasons for
their request to retain further 321s, a figure which I now believe is
up to 10 rather than the original 7.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Well there you go, a politician for you.

Kevin

Neil Williams March 25th 09 05:55 PM

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 03:23:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

8 coach services to St. Albans looks expensive!! All of the stations
would need extended platforms and St. Albans Abbey might be a bit
cramped to fit a longer platform in. I'm not saying that it isn't a
good idea, but it would be easier to get the 30 min service running
first, with the loop at Bricket Wood (which was the original plan) and
maybe adding 4 coaches at Watford Junction. I.e. work the service like
the Birmingham services which detach / attach at Northampton.

Fair point, and you'd require 2 fewer units (I think), as the two that
were on the branch while 1 is sitting in the platform at Watford would
only be 4-car.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] March 25th 09 09:30 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

8 coach services to St. Albans looks expensive!! All of the stations
would need extended platforms and St. Albans Abbey might be a bit
cramped to fit a longer platform in. I'm not saying that it isn't a
good idea, but it would be easier to get the 30 min service running
first, with the loop at Bricket Wood (which was the original plan) and
maybe adding 4 coaches at Watford Junction. I.e. work the service like
the Birmingham services which detach / attach at Northampton.

Fair point, and you'd require 2 fewer units (I think), as the two that
were on the branch while 1 is sitting in the platform at Watford would
only be 4-car.

Plus realign the track from the St Albans Abbey line back into
platform 10 at Watford Junction and save plenty of money on having to
re-signal from the main line into the existing platform 11, and while
they are at it, they can put the track back in next to platform 10!

John Burke

Neil Williams March 25th 09 09:41 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:30:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Plus realign the track from the St Albans Abbey line back into
platform 10 at Watford Junction and save plenty of money on having to
re-signal from the main line into the existing platform 11, and while
they are at it, they can put the track back in next to platform 10!

Why was it moved?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] March 25th 09 10:52 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

wrote:

Plus realign the track from the St Albans Abbey line back into
platform 10 at Watford Junction and save plenty of money on having to
re-signal from the main line into the existing platform 11, and while
they are at it, they can put the track back in next to platform 10!

Why was it moved?

So they could extend the car park across the trackbed, if you look at
Google Maps satellite view, you can see the route of the original
alignment, which went down the back of the Homebase carpark (the curve
of the wall was the original alignment). You can clearly see the
station car park has two parts, the original bit between Platforms 9
and 10 and the extension between 10 and the newer platform 11, with a
short connection between them around the end of platform 10.

Part of the council's road plans would involve fiddling with the car-
park access, which might make reinstating the original alignment
easier, although this isn't mentioned in the plans (large pdf: http://
www.watford.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/download/asset/?asset_id=14946050

No Name March 26th 09 08:38 AM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

In article
,
wrote:
Plus realign the track from the St Albans Abbey line back into
platform 10 at Watford Junction and save plenty of money on having to
re-signal from the main line into the existing platform 11, and while
they are at it, they can put the track back in next to platform 10!

While spending more than they would save on making the car park accessible
over the reinstated tracks. It is a very busy car park and losing it would
damage the attractiveness of Watford unction for many users.

--
David Wild using RISC OS on broadband
www.davidhwild.me.uk

[email protected] March 26th 09 09:24 AM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

On 26 Mar, 09:38, wrote:
In article
,
* wrote: Plus realign the track from the St Albans Abbey line back into
platform 10 at Watford Junction and save plenty of money on having to
re-signal from the main line into the existing platform 11, and while
they are at it, they can put the track back in next to platform 10!

While spending more than they would save on making the car park accessible
over the reinstated tracks. It is a very busy car park and losing it would
damage the attractiveness of Watford unction for many users.

The extra part of the car park would then be accessible from the
Imperial way side, around the end of the remaining sidings in the yard
(only a short stretch of new road would be needed). Access this way is
planned in the Hertfordshire Council improvement scheme anyway and
would involve a new road with a bridge over the line, linking St.
Albans Road to Imperial Way, with access from this road into the car
park.

Jamie Thompson March 26th 09 10:41 AM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

I thought about this for a bit, and came up with:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...06545&t=h&z=18

...though I seem to have forgotten to add a turnback siding beyond my
new terminal platforms. The general idea is clear though. Conceivably
you could do the same to the fast line platforms to provide loops, but
given Virgin don't want to stop there at all even if stops didn't
reduce capacity, it's probably pointless.

zen83237 March 26th 09 08:58 PM

Extra Watford Junction - Euston services from May

wrote in message
On 26 Mar, 09:38, wrote:
In article
,
[...]

It sure is a pain having to negotiate the congestion around the station to
get to the car park. Even a car park on the Imperial Rd side and a foot
bridge would help.

Kevin