Old April 2nd 09, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line - always DOO?

On Apr 2, 11:16 am, rail wrote:

Very sophisticated for the time; remember, practical ICs were a decade or
more in the future.

And the line had - and still has - mechanical interlockings.

The Westinghouse V-frame interlockings stay on the line through the
VUL program until all 2009 stock is delivered and all 1967 stock is
withdrawn - until then the new ''distance to go signalling'' system is
overlaid on top of the existing wayside equipment to allow 1967 and
2009 stock co-running. Planned date 2011.

--
Nick

Old April 2nd 09, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:03:13 +0100
Uncle Toby wrote:
Unusually for the time, there were no side doors to the drivers cabs
on 1967 TS, probably for similar reasons (press the buttons, train
starts moving, try to get out for some reason and wind up half inside
and half on the platform at Seven Sisters). ISTR that when 1960TS

Presumably they credit the current central line drivers with a bit more
self preservation instinct. Either that or the cab doors are interlocked
with the ATO.

There does not appear to be any sort of circuit for the cab doors on Central
Line trains as I have seen drivers depart with them open many a time. I
would believe that drivers close them as soon as they enter the tunnels ,
despite there being little to no danger, because of the noise and dust.

I imagine that it;s nice to have the cab door open in the spring when
running on surface level, but then drivers probably risk having something
thrown at them. Either that or operating rules require it to be closed.

Old April 2nd 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

rail wrote:
In message
"Chris Read" wrote:

So, was the Victoria line one person operated from the outset, or did the
screens serve some other purpose, and if so, what?

Yes it was. Train operation was completely automatic so the 'driver'
operated the doors and pressed a button to start the train and let it get on
with it.

I visited the Victoria line depot in the early 80s when I was a student,
and I remember the details of the train starting sequence.

Because the driver often leans out of the cab window to see when the
doors can be closed, and because of the danger of head injury if he* was
still leaning out when the train went into the tunnel, the driver's cab
windows were interlocked with the train start buttons.

* Drivers were all "he" in those days.

The sequence was thus:
1. Driver closes passenger doors
2. Driver closes cab window
3. Driver presses two buttons simultaneously to start the train
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at
Old April 2nd 09, 06:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

"Jeremy Double" wrote in message
rail wrote:
In message
"Chris Read" wrote:

[...]

So the cab side windows were on a circuit? Interesting. Is that still the
case?

Old April 2nd 09, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote

OK, that's a bit more sophisticated than I remembered. And, yes, I
agree that it's very impressive, and reliable, for mid 1960s

technology.
Mid/late 1960s car or airliner designs would feel a lot more

antiquated
compared to today's products than do those elderly 1967 stock trains.

And, unlike those trains, which remain in heavy daily use, such cars

and
planes would almost all have been retired long ago.

Some 1940-1946 airliners, eg DC-3s Dakotas C-47s remain in constant
daily use even if this is sightseeing.

--
Mike D

Old April 2nd 09, 07:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 2, 7:41 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Some 1940-1946 airliners, eg DC-3s Dakotas C-47s remain in constant
daily use even if this is sightseeing.

Not in the UK any more.

They were stopped last year. I'm not sure the precise reason but AIUI
it was a CAA directive or similar.

Air Atlantique, the sole UK DC3/C47 operator made a large number of
farewell flights to mark this.

--
Nick

Old April 2nd 09, 07:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On Apr 2, 7:41 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Some 1940-1946 airliners, eg DC-3s Dakotas C-47s remain in constant
daily use even if this is sightseeing.

Not in the UK any more.

They were stopped last year. I'm not sure the precise reason but AIUI
it was a CAA directive or similar.

Air Atlantique, the sole UK DC3/C47 operator made a large number of
farewell flights to mark this.

The reason given (which may or may not be entirely true) was an EU
safety directive which has all sorts of sensible rules when applied to
modern airliners, but most of which would irrelevant to Dakotas.
However, I suspect that if they were making enough money from them to
care, they'd have found a loophole or two.

But even before this 'forced retirement, the elderly Dakotas probably
did no more than a handful of passenger flights a year, a very different
work duty to the heavily-worked 1967 stock.

More to the point, the original Boeing 737 and DC-9 airliners were
introduced at the same time as the 1967 stock. I don't think any of
those early models remain in service. The Boeing 747 came along a couple
of years later, and all of its early examples are also long-retired.
And I can't remember when I last saw a first generation Ford Escort from
the same era.

Old April 2nd 09, 07:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 2, 8:31 pm, wrote:

Not in the UK any more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coventry/conten...llery.shtml?21

--
Nick

Old April 2nd 09, 08:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2 Apr, 17:35, Jeremy Double wrote:
rail wrote:
In message
* * * * * "Chris Read" wrote:

So, was the Victoria line one person operated from the outset, or did the
screens serve some other purpose, and if so, what?

Yes it was. *Train operation was completely automatic so the 'driver'
operated the doors and pressed a button to start the train and let it get on
with it.

I visited the Victoria line depot in the early 80s when I was a student,
and I remember the details of the train starting sequence.

Do the train operators require to drive manually on occasion in order
to keep in practice and if so is this done as part of normal service
operation pretty much at a time of the drivers' own choosing?

--
gordon
Old April 2nd 09, 08:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:41 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Some 1940-1946 airliners, eg DC-3s Dakotas C-47s remain in constant
daily use even if this is sightseeing.

Not in the UK any more.

They were stopped last year. I'm not sure the precise reason but AIUI
it was a CAA directive or similar.

No longer met standards for safe evacuation in emergencies.

Air Atlantique, the sole UK DC3/C47 operator made a large number of
farewell flights to mark this.

And, so far as passenger flights go, Air Atlantique has been analogous to
preserved-power railtours for a very long time. IIRC the last scheduled
services with the Gooneys were in '83 or so (when they lost a mail
contract - to rail, as it happened).

--
Andy Breen Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth

Post-September, somebody figured out that the Internet was
cheaper than babysitters (Dick Gaughan)