Old April 14th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

Default Cyclists allowed to run red lights?

Roger Thorpe wrote:
Snipped - attributions may be wrong
Brimstone wrote:
Marz wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:16 pm, "pk" wrote:
"Ian F." wrote in message
"Graculus" wrote in message
I'm a cyclist, but am more than willing to shoulder charge any
cyclist who cycles across a crossing while I have the green man.

pk
Risky, I'm 16 stone and I average 20-21mph on the road. You don't want
to shoulder charge me mate!

If he's 23 stone then you should end up on the floor, with any luck.

I don't think he has to be as heavy as that. Some of us will remember
how a small boy was able to bring down Lance Armstrong. It doesn't need
much of a push on the handlebars to put you on the floor.

Wasn't that because his bars got hooked on a stationary object ( the
boy) by a ligature ( the mussett )?

I think it would have been different if the boy had been in front of
Lance. Unless I'm thinking af a different occasion?

Old April 14th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

Marz gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I'm a cyclist, but am more than willing to shoulder charge any cyclist
who cycles across a crossing while I have the green man.

Risky, I'm 16 stone and I average 20-21mph on the road. You don't want
to shoulder charge me mate!

And you'd cycle through a red light and across a pedestrian crossing
being used by pedestrians without even slowing?

You really are a completely and utterly antisocial ****, aren't you?

Let's hope that the person who does get in your way is not a little old
lady, but a large healtyh fit bloke who's doing so deliberately - because
you're going to hit the ground VERY hard indeed.
Old April 14th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

David Hansen wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:55:36 GMT someone who may be "neverwas"
wrote this:-

And the other part of that answer is for pedestrians to be allowed by
law to carry golfing umbrellas, stout walking sticks etc and to insert
them in the spokes of the wheels of cyclists who jump the lights, ride
on pavements etc.

I take it that you would also allow cyclists to fit short lances to
their bikes to deal with pedestrians and motorists who fail to obey
the law?

Would you be okay with lorry drivers fitting signs saying "Ha ha, ****,
die screaming" under their near-side wheelarches, to 'educate' cyclists
who undertake them?
Old April 14th 09, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

I take it that you would also allow cyclists to fit short lances to
their bikes to deal with pedestrians and motorists who fail to obey
the law?

That depends on what laws you have in mind.

I rather think that my answer would be yes if you mean pedestrians and
motorists committing GBH or the like - and possibly littering

But I don't want cyclists to be able to continue making up their own
laws. (I well remember trying to cross the road during a critical mass
ride in central London. The mass ignored the red lights, ignored the 85
year old lady trying to cross with me, and told us both to "go get
f****d if you ain't got a fu****g bike".)

And IIRC we also don't have yet the jaywalking law Ken Livingstone
proposed in 2006 (which wd have made it an offence an offence to cross
other than at a specified crossing with a green light) so I'd rather
not be lanced for crossing the road. It's bad enough having getting
scratched, bruise and punched now when daring to use a pedestrian
crossing or controlled crossing in a manner which might require a
cyclist to extend his (or very rarely her) journey by 5 seconds.
--
Robin

Old April 14th 09, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

Brimstone wrote:
Marz wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:16 pm, "pk" wrote:
"Ian F." wrote in message
"Graculus" wrote in message
I'm a cyclist, but am more than willing to shoulder charge any
cyclist who cycles across a crossing while I have the green man.

pk
Risky, I'm 16 stone and I average 20-21mph on the road. You don't want
to shoulder charge me mate!

If he's 23 stone then you should end up on the floor, with any luck.

I don't think he has to be as heavy as that. Some of us will remember
how a small boy was able to bring down Lance Armstrong. It doesn't need
much of a push on the handlebars to put you on the floor.

Wasn't that because his bars got hooked on a stationary object ( the
boy) by a ligature ( the mussett )?

I think it would have been different if the boy had been in front of
Lance. Unless I'm thinking af a different occasion?

FWIW, I believe it was a Credit Lyonnais lunchbag. These are thrown to
the crowd by the caravan which passes through before the riders. They
have nice long strings on them, so are very good for hooking
handlebars.

Old April 14th 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:47:02 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

"Graculus" wrote in message
Boris's latest mad-cap idea:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7998687.stm and other sources.

So, the idea is that this allows cyclists to move off before lorries and
thus not get trapped/killed when they move off and turn left. And it is
cited that 13 deaths occurred because of this. What they fail to say is
how many cyclists would be killed when they see the red light as a
proverbial "green light" to run the red without paying any attention to
what's approaching from their right and get subsequently hit by some other
vehicle crossing the junction on green. I'm sure they would be meant to
give way, blah blah blah, but would that happen in reality?

Quite barmy!

As "barmy" as the entire US road system where traffic can legally turn right
on a red.

But an item of traffic turning right at a red is required to stop
first, you can't just go bowling through. This is often forgotten in
discussions about the US system. There are some junctions with "No
Right on Red" signs too.

It seems reasonable to me. Though if they restrict it to cyclists, the usual
whinging will come from the motoring lobby who get ****ed off when they
don't have equal rights to cyclists.

The answer is, get a bike. And STFU :-)

Old April 14th 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

On Apr 14, 3:14*pm, Adrian wrote:
Marz gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I'm a cyclist, but am more than willing to shoulder charge any cyclist
who cycles across a crossing while I have the green man.

Risky, I'm 16 stone and I average 20-21mph on the road. You don't want
to shoulder charge me mate!

And you'd cycle through a red light and across a pedestrian crossing
being used by pedestrians without even slowing?

No, prat.

You really are a completely and utterly antisocial ****, aren't you?

Actually yes, but that has nothing to do with how I ride my bike,
****!

Let's hope that the person who does get in your way is not a little old
lady, but a large healtyh fit bloke who's doing so deliberately - because
you're going to hit the ground VERY hard indeed.

See answer to your first stupid question, arsehole!

Old April 14th 09, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport

Marz gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I'm a cyclist, but am more than willing to shoulder charge any
cyclist who cycles across a crossing while I have the green man.

Risky, I'm 16 stone and I average 20-21mph on the road. You don't
want to shoulder charge me mate!

And you'd cycle through a red light and across a pedestrian crossing
being used by pedestrians without even slowing?

No, prat.

sigh
A sig separator should be dash dash space, not a comma.

You really are a completely and utterly antisocial ****, aren't you?

Actually yes

Thought so.

but that has nothing to do with how I ride my bike, ****!

Once again, that's dash dash space.

Let's hope that the person who does get in your way is not a little old
lady, but a large healtyh fit bloke who's doing so deliberately -
because you're going to hit the ground VERY hard indeed.

See answer to your first stupid question, arsehole!

See? You've really not got the hang of this sig sep lark, have you?

Would that be the answer where you either showed your previous comment to
be a complete non-sequitur or tried desperately to back-track when you
realised what a tit you'd made yourself look?