Old December 11th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Should David Cameron be allowed just to pay his £3 again...

.... when we mere mortals, on our way to a pop concert saying "sorry I lost
my ticket", would most certainly have been charged £20??

And should David Cameron, as an example to follow, not have insisted on
paying the £20 rather than plea for clemency? Perhaps he's trying to get
even more hoodies' votes whom he keeps urging us all to hug.

Whilst the fact that our future PM may be a Morrisey fan is kind of cool, I
really can't bear any Tories and least of all those who purport to be "a
man of the people" in this fashion. The People's PM. **** off.

Anyone would be better than Bliar. But my vote is certainly not going to go
to either party at the moment. It'll be either Respect or the Lib Dems,
like last time.

Old December 11th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

... when we mere mortals, on our way to a pop concert saying "sorry I lost
my ticket", would most certainly have been charged £20??

And should David Cameron, as an example to follow, not have insisted on
paying the £20 rather than plea for clemency? Perhaps he's trying to get
even more hoodies' votes whom he keeps urging us all to hug.

Whilst the fact that our future PM may be a Morrisey fan is kind of cool, I
really can't bear any Tories and least of all those who purport to be "a
man of the people" in this fashion. The People's PM. **** off.

Anyone would be better than Bliar. But my vote is certainly not going to go
to either party at the moment. It'll be either Respect or the Lib Dems,
like last time.

You've gotta give some kind of reference so we can decipher your rant.

You're post implies that Cameron got nabbed without a ticket on the
Tube, claiming he'd lost it, and managed to pay the £3 fare rather
than the £20 penalty fare. A quick search of BBC News online doesn't
yield any such story, so please provide a source.

Old December 11th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in
ps.com:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

In the evening's paper:

http://www.exacteditions.com/exact/b...12/1848/3/5/0/
Old December 11th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:30:48 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in
ups.com:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

Ah, it was in themurdochrag, which is why I haven't seen it.

Looks like he "got away with it" because the worker knew who he was. I
see they didn't name the employee - which is a good thing, as they
don't want to be responsible for him getting sacked.

This has happened to me a couple of times over the years - one time I
approached a staff member at platform level, and was allowed to pay
again; the other time I went to the assistance window by the gate and
got a PF.

One question concerns me though: Why doesn't DC have an Oyster?

Other things to compain about in the article: the £20 PF is not "a
fine" and is not given "for fare dodging", and I trust people in LUL
will be writing a letter of correction to themurdochrag immediately
Old December 11th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Tristán White wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in
ps.com:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

And yet again, a penalty fare is referred to as a "fine". (Which of
course it is in reality, that can be imposed without charge or trial,
on the assumption of guilty till proven innocent, but legally it is
just a fare.)

If he was suspected of fare-evasion, he should have been prosecuted and
risked a fine of £1000 or whatever it is. If he wasn't, it's his
moral duty to expose and refuse to cooperate with the scam of penalty
fares.

Old December 11th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:44:18 +0000, James Farrar
wrote:

One question concerns me though: Why doesn't DC have an Oyster?

A good question as I thought all MPs had All Zones Travelcards anyway.
I might be wrong but I'm sure they have them as part of the T&Cs for
being a MP.

I'm also struggling with why he needed to travel on the tube having
cycled from NHG to Willesden Junction and then needed to go to Wembley?
Why didn't he cycle the rest or just get a bus?

He seems to have gone to WJ back into town and then back out again on
the Jubilee Line (assuming the article is right - I would imagine he may
have cycled to Willesden Green which makes a little more sense)
--
Paul C

Old December 11th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
James Farrar wrote:
This has happened to me a couple of times over the years - one time I
approached a staff member at platform level, and was allowed to pay
again; the other time I went to the assistance window by the gate and
got a PF.

The rule seems to be that if you approach them, then you pay the
fare. But if THEY approach you, you get the fine^Wpenalty fare.

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.
Old December 11th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
James Farrar wrote:
This has happened to me a couple of times over the years - one time I
approached a staff member at platform level, and was allowed to pay
again; the other time I went to the assistance window by the gate and
got a PF.

The rule seems to be that if you approach them, then you pay the
fare. But if THEY approach you, you get the fine^Wpenalty fare.

That may be the rule, but it's against the rules.

Old December 11th 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in
ps.com:

Tristán White wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I'd not clocked the fact that a full facsimile of the print
version of thelondonpaper is available in full online, is this a new
thing?

I see said story is also on the ThisIsLondon website:
http://tinyurl.com/ylnbn9

I managed to lose my ticket fairly recently whilst on the Tube (twas an
unregistered Oyster which was pretty low in credit). I wasn't in a rush
and was fairly close to an ungated station so I headed there, exited
the paid area then bought myself a new ticket rather than risk getting
a penalty fare if I'd declared my situation at a gated station. I'm
sure that's not the proceedure I was supposed to follow but after an
absolute hell of a day it was a no-fuss solution to my predicament. And
the pint at the pleasant nearby hostelry gave me a little time to
regain my composure!

Old December 12th 06, 12:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Paul Corfield) wrote:

A good question as I thought all MPs had All Zones Travelcards
anyway. I might be wrong but I'm sure they have them as part of the
T&Cs for being a MP.

It might be for London MPs. My MP has a Cambridge-London (I think all zones) annual season. But why would an MP for a constituency in zone 2 justify more than a zones 1 and 2 travelcard?

--
Colin Rosenstie