Old April 23rd 09, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line Ex Ph 2 funding deal / loss of Vic - Bellinghamservice

On Apr 23, 8:52*pm, trundleage wrote:

On Apr 23, 5:18*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 23, 4:40*pm, trundleage wrote:

And copying verbatim as happens here is obviously not plagiarism. If
you want analysis, then you're going to have to pay for it

The comment re "potential plagiarism" relates to Mr Thant's suspicion
that Transport Briefing reworked some of his own material which
appeared on his now mothballed blog, London Connections, into a piece
it presented as its own.

Anyway, I'm not getting involved in this any further.

Oh. Thank you for that. Sometimes it can be difficult to understand
some bits said when you don't get the context. Cheers.

No worries. I wasn't quite sure if you were connected to Transport
Briefing or not, hence my slightly abrupt manner!

I did ponder linking to the relevant comment on Mr Thant's now no-
longer updated blog, but I thought that might be a bit unnecessarily
incendiary, and anyway I thought it was perhaps not really my place to
do so. Mr Thant has now set out his take on this downthread.

Old April 23rd 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 23, 9:22*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Apr 23, 8:52*pm, trundleage wrote:

On Apr 23, 5:18*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 23, 4:40*pm, trundleage wrote:

And copying verbatim as happens here is obviously not plagiarism. If
you want analysis, then you're going to have to pay for it

The comment re "potential plagiarism" relates to Mr Thant's suspicion
that Transport Briefing reworked some of his own material which
appeared on his now mothballed blog, London Connections, into a piece
it presented as its own.

Anyway, I'm not getting involved in this any further.

Oh. Thank you for that. Sometimes it can be difficult to understand
some bits said when you don't get the context. Cheers.

No worries. I wasn't quite sure if you were connected to Transport
Briefing or not, hence my slightly abrupt manner!

Nah, Got better stuff to do than run a site like that. I think this is
what should be more concerning with regards to copying verbatim. Read
the last paragraph.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

Old April 23rd 09, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mizter T wrote:

Absolutely. Vauxhall, Elephant & Castle and Camden Town are three
particularly significant 'edge of zone 1' stations that instantly
spring to mind where this tactic can fruitfully be employed - but
there are plenty of others such as Bermondsey, Whitechapel, Essex
Road, Notting Hill Gate, Royal Oak etc which might work for individual
commuters.

On which note, it'll be interesting if any of Boris's bike hire schemes
appear at edge-of-Z1 stations. They're effectively intended to give
people an alternative to bus or tube onward transport from London rail
terminals, after all.

Tom
Old April 23rd 09, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 23, 10:10*pm, Tom Barry wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Absolutely. Vauxhall, Elephant & Castle and Camden Town are three
particularly significant 'edge of zone 1' stations that instantly
spring to mind where this tactic can fruitfully be employed - but
there are plenty of others such as Bermondsey, Whitechapel, Essex
Road, Notting Hill Gate, Royal Oak etc which might work for individual
commuters.

On which note, it'll be interesting if any of Boris's bike hire schemes
appear at edge-of-Z1 stations. *They're effectively intended to give
people an alternative to bus or tube onward transport from London rail
terminals, after all.

Arguably TfL's Finsbury Park cycle park can fulfil a similar role for
regular commuters, though you obviously need to supply your own
bicycle!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/9003.aspx

I've no idea how many people do use if for parking their bike
overnight. Also, one wouldn't want to get there in the evening and
find no space because it was still full up with the bike's of 'daytime
parkers'. I must sign up with them at some point just so as to check
it out and give it a test run.

I haven't really been following developments w.r.t the cycle hire
scheme - where are we (/is he) at with that then? And is it going to
work?
Old April 24th 09, 07:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 24, 12:20*am, Paul Corfield wrote:
Do we imagine for one second that
DfT would have imposed the Zone 1 requirement on Ken if he had been
Mayor? *This isn't anti-Boris by the way - this is just an observation
on party politics.

Hmm. I suspect DfT would gladly have *tried* to impose it on Ken;
however, what with Ken being competent at transport planning,
massively experienced at arguing with central government, and actually
caring about what happens to Londoners, I also suspect they would have
failed.

Since Boris is inept, inexperienced, and doesn't give a ****, it's
hardly surprising they succeeded here.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old April 27th 09, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Arguably TfL's Finsbury Park cycle park can fulfil a similar role for
regular commuters, though you obviously need to supply your own
bicycle!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/9003.aspx

I've no idea how many people do use if for parking their bike
overnight. Also, one wouldn't want to get there in the evening and
find no space because it was still full up with the bike's of 'daytime
parkers'. I must sign up with them at some point just so as to check
it out and give it a test run.

I haven't really been following developments w.r.t the cycle hire
scheme - where are we (/is he) at with that then? And is it going to
work?

Curiously enough, the first 400 sites have just been announced, and
they're not at stations apparently.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ons/article.do
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11580.aspx

It's suggested that NR aren't co-operating (presumably because they take
too much space up), but there seem to be some near enough to stations to
be useful, including the Albert Embankment near Vauxhall and in Waterloo
Road.

It's definitely being seen by TfL as part of a modal shift away from
public transport in Zone 1, though. It'll take Oyster.

TfL's press office will apparently supply a list of sites on request.

Tom

Old April 27th 09, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Apr, 10:14, Tom Barry wrote:
It's suggested that NR aren't co-operating (presumably because they take
too much space up), but there seem to be some near enough to stations to
be useful, including the Albert Embankment near Vauxhall and in Waterloo
Road.

Isn't that the usual Evening Standard tactic of manufacturing a
controversy that pits evil commie TfL against the honest stockbroking
rail-commuter?

Also the complaint about locks is a bit spurious - if it's going to
work anything like Velib, the whole point is you use them to ride from
docking station to docking station, rather than keeping the same bike
with you all day. I'm surprised they say you'll be encouraged to use
your own lock - I think doing so is a breach of the Velib terms.