Old April 27th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground 'best metro in Europe'

Excerpt from the BBC News online story...

---quote---
Tube network is 'best' in Europe

London's Tube network which carries more than one billion people a
year has been judged best in Europe by the transit industry's Metro
Awards.

The world's oldest metro system, which began service in 1863 and
covers 249 miles (402km), was also commended for passenger
satisfaction.

The Tube service beat off competition from Paris, Madrid, Berlin and
Copenhagen.
[...]
The Tube was judged on several criteria including customer service
levels, geographical coverage, technological innovations, safety and
security and the condition of the network.
---/quote---

For the whole piece go 'e

Old April 27th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

The Tube service beat off competition from Paris, Madrid, Berlin and
Copenhagen.
[...]
The Tube was judged on several criteria including geographical coverage

Fair enough, none of the other metros serve South London either.

Old April 27th 09, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
The Tube was judged on several criteria including customer service
levels, geographical coverage, technological innovations, safety and
security and the condition of the network.

Having been to Berlin recently I was shocked that many of the
underground stations were unstaffed. The stations were filthy and
covered in graffiti, although I did like the fact that the doors open
before the train stops, shortening dwell times.

LU might be expensive, but in my (albeit limited) experience of staffing
levels, they seem to be right up the top.
Old April 27th 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Apr, 13:59, Joe wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

Having been to Berlin recently I was shocked that many of the
underground stations were unstaffed. The stations were filthy and
covered in graffiti, although I did like the fact that the doors open
before the train stops, shortening dwell times.

LU might be expensive, but in my (albeit limited) experience of staffing
levels, they seem to be right up the top.

I remember being daunted at the huge, staffless Paris Metro stations.
Not very nice!
Old April 27th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Mizter T wrote:

The Tube service beat off competition from Paris, Madrid, Berlin and
Copenhagen.
[...]
The Tube was judged on several criteria including geographical coverage

Fair enough, none of the other metros serve South London either.

Splutter....tea on keyboard moment!

Funniest comment of the day award to Mr. Rowland!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old April 27th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
I remember being daunted at the huge, staffless Paris Metro stations.
Not very nice!

I remember being stuck inside the station because the unstaffed ticket
barriers wouldn't accept my ticket. Unlike UK ones they were too big to
jump over. Fortunately one was broken so we eventually managed to escape!
Old April 27th 09, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes
Excerpt from the BBC News online story...

---quote---
Tube network is 'best' in Europe

London's Tube network which carries more than one billion people a
year has been judged best in Europe by the transit industry's Metro
Awards.

The world's oldest metro system, which began service in 1863 and
covers 249 miles (402km), was also commended for passenger
satisfaction.

The Tube service beat off competition from Paris, Madrid, Berlin and
Copenhagen.
[...]
The Tube was judged on several criteria including customer service
levels, geographical coverage, technological innovations, safety and
security and the condition of the network.
---/quote---

For the whole piece go 'e

Interesting.

Such judgements are always subjective, of course. But I have always
been a firm believer in the fact that London's transport system as a
whole is one of the best in Europe.

Paris' RER is beyond anything we have in many ways but its lack of bus
services in the evenings and on Sundays has always astonished me.

Frankfurt has a very highly developed system but I was surprised at how
shabby it was. Shabbiness is also a feature of Brussels and Amsterdam.

I have though heard that Madrid and Barcelona have truly splendid
networks, although I've not been to either. (Nor have I been to Moscow
but I've had a look at Gants Hill and I'm told it's much the
same.......)

Old April 27th 09, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:03:17 +0100
Ian Jelf wrote:
Such judgements are always subjective, of course. But I have always
been a firm believer in the fact that London's transport system as a
whole is one of the best in Europe.

Poor reliability and sky high prices. I wouldn't categorise it as anything
close to the best. I'll take frequent services and cheap tickets over tidy
stations any day. The NYC subway is a dump but the trains are fast, frequent,
air conditioned and it doesn't cost much.

networks, although I've not been to either. (Nor have I been to Moscow
but I've had a look at Gants Hill and I'm told it's much the
same.......)

Its the same in the way that primark is the same as harrods.

B2003

Old April 27th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

If they were to rate architecture and general impressiveness of
appearance - then Moscow Metro would probably win. But as a transport
service it certainly lags behind.
Old April 27th 09, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Alex" wrote in message
If they were to rate architecture and general impressiveness of
appearance - then Moscow Metro would probably win. But as a transport
service it certainly lags behind.

Pyongyang is also pretty good in architecture and general impressiveness.
But it's a shame the only pictures we ever see are from just two stations,
so it might be hard to say.