Old May 2nd 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London to Cite Europe - trips via Euroshuttle

Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe (Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps regularly
from Ashford?).

A few years ago there used to be an excellent, little publicised, turn up
and go service from Charing Cross station and other places. You got the
ticket from the station, travelled to Ashford, and there was a regular
coach service on the hour for most of the day to/from Cite Europe and
Calais. Unfortunately the rail company stopped these "due to lack of
interest"!

I realise that a car trip is the best way, but I've never bothered to take
my driving test, so that is out of the question. I would prefer the
shuttle to the ferry, because it is quicker, but the ferry could be a last
resort. The only other way is getting the Eurostar to Paris to do some
shopping, but that is rather extreme :-)

Thanks

Roger

Old May 2nd 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:20:39 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe (Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps regularly
from Ashford?).

A few years ago there used to be an excellent, little publicised, turn up
and go service from Charing Cross station and other places. You got the
ticket from the station, travelled to Ashford, and there was a regular
coach service on the hour for most of the day to/from Cite Europe and
Calais. Unfortunately the rail company stopped these "due to lack of
interest"!

I suspect it would have helped if it had been advertised!

In theory fairly cheap rail-sea-rail trips to Calais and beyond exist,
though Connex/SC/SET/NRES/P&O have denied all knowledge when I've
tried to buy one.

I realise that a car trip is the best way, but I've never bothered to take
my driving test, so that is out of the question. I would prefer the
shuttle to the ferry, because it is quicker, but the ferry could be a last
resort. The only other way is getting the Eurostar to Paris to do some
shopping, but that is rather extreme :-)

Some Eurostars stop at Calais Frethun station which is somewhere
outside Calais, but how useful that is I don't know.

It might be worth trying some local coach holiday companies, who might
do semi-regular "carry as much booze as you can back on to the bus"
style day trips. I used one from Hull to do the Chunnel just after it
opened.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old May 2nd 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe (Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps regularly
from Ashford?).

East London Coaches (part of Stagecoach in London) regularly run day trips
to Cite Europe.

Not much use to you in Croydon but the point I'm making is: have you tried
all the local coach companies, not forgetting local bus operators?

Terry

Old May 2nd 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe (Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps regularly
from Ashford?).

Have a look at the National Express site,
http://www.nationalexpress.com/enq/b...58666&to=57366

They have a London-Calais fare, from £8 single.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old May 3rd 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ()
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies. I will try the Croydon area when I can get there,
(Sutton is more convenient, but Croydon is the nearest big town), and of
course a local drop off point would be much more convenient.

The National Express service doesn't seem too bad as an alternative,
albeit it's having to travel to/from London. Not sure if it goes on the
shuttle or by ferry - it doesn't mention that anywhere on the website.
Roger
Old May 3rd 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message ,
writes

Hello Roger,

Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe

(Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps

regularly
from Ashford?).

I realise that a car trip is the best way, but I've never bothered to

take
my driving test, so that is out of the question. I would prefer the
shuttle to the ferry, because it is quicker, but the ferry could be a

last
resort. The only other way is getting the Eurostar to Paris to do some
shopping, but that is rather extreme :-)

I know Stagecoach East London do shopping trips about twice a month but
you have to pre-book them. I keep thinking about doing it just for a
day out although I find the convenience of a car over there very handy
for doing a big shop. Pity I don't have a car these days - perhaps we
could hire one, I'll drive :-)

Interesting, but would probably cost the earth to do so - it would be
cheaper getting a priv to Paris! (which incidentally is something I must
try and sort out if I can tie myself down to a date). I am notorious at
changing my mind at the last moment, for whatever reason, which is why I
much prefer the turn up and go type thing or something cheap that if I do
have to cancel I won't have lost too much money.

Roger

Old May 3rd 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 2 May 2004 at 10:20:39, wrote:

Does anybody know of a firm doing regular trips to Cite Europe (Calais),
via the Euroshuttle from London or the Croydon area (or perhaps regularly
from Ashford?).

I'm afraid not. But knowing this newsgroup, somebody will!

A few years ago there used to be an excellent, little publicised, turn up
and go service from Charing Cross station and other places. You got the
ticket from the station, travelled to Ashford, and there was a regular
coach service on the hour for most of the day to/from Cite Europe and
Calais. Unfortunately the rail company stopped these "due to lack of
interest"!

I know - and it was dirt cheap! Alas... Actually, I thought it was
withdrawn after the demise of duty-free, when there was a huge drop in
the numbers of people crossing the Channel, not realising that even with
French duty paid, wine, spirits, beer and coffee were far cheaper than
they are here. And tobacco is cheaper in Belgium, just an hour up the
road!

I realise that a car trip is the best way, but I've never bothered to take
my driving test, so that is out of the question. I would prefer the
shuttle to the ferry, because it is quicker, but the ferry could be a last
resort. The only other way is getting the Eurostar to Paris to do some
shopping, but that is rather extreme :-)

But serious fun, all the same!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old May 3rd 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Annabel Smyth) wrote:

On Sun, 2 May 2004 at 10:20:39,
wrote:

[...]

The duty free was still on at the time. I (often with a friend and his
son) used to get the coach around twelve or one o'clock from Ashford and
the 19:30 (I think it was the last but one) back from Cite Europe. At
times there were only 3-5 people on board. It was a pity, because if
they'd advertised it properly then it would have probably paid its way. I
think there were around 8 (or 10) journeys each way on a daily basis. They
could have tried cutting the amount of trips down and advertising it more.
It was a nice day out and, other when there was a ferry strike right at
the end, there were never any problems other than the odd delay because
one of the shuttles was cut out due to lack of customers.

The day of the ferry strike was the last one I went on. This was when the
motorway was being used as a lorry park and, of course, all the lorries
were trying to get on the lorry shuttle. It didn't affect us on the actual
shuttle, but because it took so long to get from Ashford, we were that
late that the coach driver stayed in Calais instead of going back to do
another round trip. We then became the last coach to leave.

Roger