Old May 1st 09, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Simon Jenkins in 'is idiot' shock

Ian Jelf wrote:

He spoke total drivel about a subject he'd not grasped and failed to
understand, let alone answer, a question put to him pointing out the
hole in his argument.

If you can get paid to do that, why am I wasting my time on Usenet doing it
for free?

Old May 1st 09, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Tom Barry
writes
John B wrote:
"Crossrail will eat money. Kill it, Boris, and save the bankrupt Tube
instead"
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ils/article.do
--

I must say, it's nice to see unanimity from the utl regulars on the
subject of Jenkins being a cock on this. It is apparently a sound working

He was the headline speaker one year at the Institute of Tourist Guiding's
AGM.

He spoke total drivel about a subject he'd not grasped and failed to
understand, let alone answer, a question put to him pointing out the hole
in his argument.

Discuss! :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

And he was on Radio 4 at lunchtime pontificating about tourists visiting the
Antarctic. Are there no limits to this man's knowledge?

MaxB

Old May 1st 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Batman55
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Tom Barry
writes
John B wrote:
[...]

If he can find people stupid enough to pay him to talk/write rubbish, you
have to admire him, and feel jealous!

Not my decision!! Mind you, I do know who else was considered and SJ
was less controversial at the time....... :-)

Old May 1st 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Batman55
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Tom Barry
writes
John B wrote:
[...]

Bearing in mind that Max didn't strip my signature from the posting
there, can I just clarify that "he" meant Simon Jenkins, not me and that
I was nowhere near Radio 4 at lunchtime! (Although I had a cameo on
"Midlands today" last week, being quoted somewhat out of context.)

Old May 1st 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

He spoke total drivel about a subject he'd not grasped and failed to
understand, let alone answer, a question put to him pointing out the
hole in his argument.

If you can get paid to do that, why am I wasting my time on Usenet doing it
for free?

Well I carved a career out of it I suppose.......

Old May 1st 09, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , John Rowland
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

He spoke total drivel about a subject he'd not grasped and failed to
understand, let alone answer, a question put to him pointing out the
hole in his argument.

If you can get paid to do that, why am I wasting my time on Usenet doing it
for free?

Well I carved a career out of it I suppose.......

I don't know if you've ever worked in Cambridge, but here the chaffeur punt
guides have it as a competitive sport... the size and volume of porkies you
can get past the guillible victi^Wtourists without them smelling a rat. No
qualifications required except student status and an ability to punt. The
punt companies seem quite willing to overlook lack of the latter.

Theo
Old May 1st 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Batman55
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Tom Barry
writes
John B wrote:
[...]

You should have accepted the kudos! Clearly you are not pontificating
material!

MaxB

Old May 1st 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Theo Markettos
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , John Rowland
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

He spoke total drivel about a subject he'd not grasped and failed to
understand, let alone answer, a question put to him pointing out the
hole in his argument.

If you can get paid to do that, why am I wasting my time on Usenet doing it
for free?

Well I carved a career out of it I suppose.......

I don't know if you've ever worked in Cambridge,

Er, yes. A lot! :-)

but here the chaffeur punt
guides have it as a competitive sport... the size and volume of porkies you
can get past the guillible victi^Wtourists without them smelling a rat.
No
qualifications required except student status and an ability to punt.

Whereas we go through two years and twelve exams (he said somewhat
haughtily, although it's not meant in that way). Although by no means
without faults, I can honestly say that fibbing to clients is definitely
off the agenda for us!

The
punt companies seem quite willing to overlook lack of the latter.

Scary!

Old May 2nd 09, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Batman55 wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Tom Barry
writes
John B wrote:
"Crossrail will eat money. Kill it, Boris, and save the bankrupt Tube
instead"

I must say, it's nice to see unanimity from the utl regulars on the
subject of Jenkins being a cock on this. It is apparently a sound working
principle that the only people allowed to comment on public transport in
the Evening Standard are those manifestly unqualified to do so.

He spoke total drivel about a subject he'd not grasped and failed to
understand, let alone answer, a question put to him pointing out the hole
in his argument.

And he was on Radio 4 at lunchtime pontificating about tourists visiting
the Antarctic. Are there no limits to this man's knowledge?

None at all. In much the same way that there is no edge to the area of a
point.

tom

--
I prefer gin now sleep doesn't want me anyway.