Old May 6th 09, 08:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Sense seen on Crossrail at last?

"Tim Fenton" wrote in message

My feeling is that Dave and his jolly good chums are set to visit on
us the same horrors that Thatcher did, having learned nothing from
the post 1979 record. They won't be the ones that have to go without.

They enjoyed 18 years of power after 1979, so maybe their post-179
record wasn't so unpopular after all.

Old May 6th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:

"Tim Fenton" wrote in message

My feeling is that Dave and his jolly good chums are set to visit on
us the same horrors that Thatcher did, having learned nothing from
the post 1979 record. They won't be the ones that have to go without.

They enjoyed 18 years of power after 1979, so maybe their post-179
record wasn't so unpopular after all.

I wonder how the alleged "horrors" of Thatcher's Tories compare with the
"achievements" of NuLabour? Notably, the latter's two illegal wars, the
near-destruction of the British financial services industry thanks to
inept regulation (or a lack of it) and the massive and apparently
uncontrolled rises in public spending and taxation that show no kind of
return.

Not to mention the control freakery, the sleaze of individual MPs and
the corruption of the Labour Party as a whole. It was the latter that
caused me to leave Labour, starting with the Ecclestone affair allowing
continuation of tobacco advertising in Formula 1 motor racing in return
for a bribe of £1 million paid to the Labour Party.

John Major's Tory government was accused of sleaze and incompetence but
nothing they did bears more than the slightest resemblance to the
institutionalised gross corruption and negligence of this NuLabour lot.

Old May 6th 09, 11:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 May 2009, wrote:

Oxford terminators and

I NEED YOUR CLOTHES, YOUR BOOTS, AND YOUR PUNT.

tom

--
Vegetables, rice and peas.
Old May 7th 09, 08:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

wrote

Exactly what service would they propose to Gravesend? Would they
squeeze in the Crossrail stoppers between the North Kent trains? Would
they remodel Dartford?

It all seems a bit vague. I haven't yet seen anything in the Kent RUS
or S London RUS to suggest what they would plan on doing. Maybe I
missed it..

It is vague - as there is no current intention to extend Crossrail to
Gravesend. The safeguarding seems to include more land than was envisaged
in the original Crossrail proposals, suggesting that there will be more
track, especially in the Slade Green - Dartford area, and it is clear that
a terminus at Ebbsfleet has been dropped in favour of Gravesend.

Peter

1. Safeguarding is a planning tool, a smart one. But can lead to "planning
blight" so there is a downside.
2. Crossrail's scope is clearly constrained by economics.
3. Earlier proposals probably inform us of the potential scope of Crossrail
operation longer term.
4. NO-ONE has mentioned the plethora of hybrid battery-equipped rollingstock
currently prototyped, on trial, in low volume production etc around the
world. Given Crossrail's gestation, can I assert with some confidence that
by then it will be quite normal for trains to extend a moderate distance
beyond the wires or juice rail. 25kV to Reading would not necessarily be a
pre-requisite to CrossRail service by the mid-10s.
5. Also absent from discussion so far has been AirTrack. In some other
forums, we hear that BAA are firmly behind AirTrack. AIUI, provision has
been made in the Heathrow 5 station box for them. The discussion suggests
that HConn/Crossrail will run through to Reading via H5 and AirTrack. Those
with local route knowledge can fill me in here, but once the link is made,
basically would dual-voltage stock (one assumes Bombardier will have
recovered from their supply line and quality management difficulties by
then - ) provide a through Crossrail all-electric service?

From
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2...runway_ plans
we read

January 23, 2009

Greener trains and a direct rail-air link from Reading are among a raft of
transport improvements being outlined alongside confirmed plans for Heathrow's
third runway. Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon confirmed work would be
undertaken to consider electrifying the Great Western Mainline (GWML) as he
gave the go-ahead for the airport's expansion last week.

Network Rail has welcomed the proposals which would mean quieter and
smoother journeys for passengers on eco-friendly trains and "a sustainable
form of travel". Electric trains are cheaper and easier to maintain and
cause less wear and tear on the track, which rail bosses say would lead to
an increase in reliability.

Last year also saw Network Rail start a significant piece of work on
potential further electrification of key rail routes which is expected to be
completed in the spring. The enhancements of the track at Reading as part of
the £425 million station redevelopment would also pave the way for Airtrack
trains to use the station. Network Rail is also working with the Department
for Transport and British Airports Association (BAA) on the scheme to
connect passengers directly to Terminal 5.

Network Rail is carrying out ongoing work looking at the need for new
railway lines which will feed into the work of the Government's new company
High Speed 2. This company will consider fast rail-links between London and
Scotland and could include plans for an interchange station on the GWML to
do be determined later this year.

Rupert Walker, scheme sponsor for Reading re-modelling scheme, said: "The
announcements show that the plan to upgrade the capacity of the railway at
Reading plays an important part in the future of transport in Britain.
Network Rail welcomes Mr Hoon's comments and awaits further announcements
about whether electrification and the Airtrack service to Heathrow will
become a reality."

6. Given the time frames for Crossrail, and the rather modest scope of
AirTrack in comparison, could it be that AirTrack is up, and through
electric services running Paddington - Reading before Crossrail starts?

7. While HConn only goes to H123 (old H Central, made more sense!), AIUI
that's a commercial decision. The AirTrack scheme clearly envisages
HConn/Crossrail coming into the H5 box and extending west out of it. What
happens to HEx and links to H123 then would be influenced by the commercial
imperitives of the day.

8. The discussion about what will happen to this local or that once
Crossrail is extended to Reading via GWML is, IMHO, a tad premature. I'd
suggest that in the perhaps 8 years or so before the earliest that might
happen, the shape of the world as we know it might alter somewhat. If we
look back 8 years, or even more instructive, 15 - how recognisable are the
service patterns and timetables now compared to then? The players involved?
Government policies? That part of the thread seemed to me, at my safe and
comfortable distance down under in Perth, Western Australia as having a
discernable whiff of NIMBYism about it.

9. I am one who was surprised that Crossrail wasn't more firmly tied in with
the Kent HS1 - at Stratford and further out. The safeguarding excercises
give a future Government the opportunity to take some new risks

My 2p for now ...

David down under

Old May 7th 09, 09:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
"DW downunder" noname wrote:

[snip]
4. NO-ONE has mentioned the plethora of hybrid battery-equipped
rollingstock currently prototyped, on trial, in low volume production etc
around the world. Given Crossrail's gestation, can I assert with some
confidence that by then it will be quite normal for trains to extend a
moderate distance beyond the wires or juice rail. 25kV to Reading would
not necessarily be a pre-requisite to CrossRail service by the mid-10s.

Not mentioned for a very simple reason, battery technology is just not up to
the job, nor is it likely to be in the forseeable future. While it is a
feasable option for low density occasional traffic, eg the battery luggage
vans that used to be used at Dover docks, it just can't cope with the sort of
service that Crossrail will be operating.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old May 7th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 6, 11:38*pm, Tony Polson wrote:
My feeling is that Dave and his jolly good chums are set to visit on
us the same horrors that Thatcher did, having learned nothing from
the post 1979 record. They won't be the ones that have to go without.

They enjoyed 18 years of power after 1979, so maybe their post-179
record wasn't so unpopular after all.

I wonder how the alleged "horrors" of Thatcher's Tories compare with the
"achievements" of NuLabour? *Notably, the latter's two illegal wars, the
near-destruction of the British financial services industry thanks to
inept regulation (or a lack of it) and the massive and apparently
uncontrolled rises in public spending and taxation that show no kind of
return.

*Two* illegal wars? Are you a Taliban fan or a Milosevic fan, Mr P?

Financial services regulation was modelled on the Major and Thatcher
governments' policy, and notably the *actual*, *real-life* Tory
opposition only ever criticised the regime on the grounds that it was
too onerous on the poor banks (see: Daniel 'we should be more like
Iceland' Hannan)

John Major's Tory government was accused of sleaze and incompetence but
nothing they did bears more than the slightest resemblance to the
institutionalised gross corruption and negligence of this NuLabour lot.

No, *everything* they did is *almost exactly identical*.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old May 7th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 7, 9:05*am, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
4. NO-ONE has mentioned the plethora of hybrid battery-equipped rollingstock
currently prototyped, on trial, in low volume production etc around the
world. Given Crossrail's gestation, can I assert with some confidence that
by then it will be quite normal for trains to extend a moderate distance
beyond the wires or juice rail. 25kV to Reading would not necessarily be a
pre-requisite to CrossRail service by the mid-10s.

No, you can't.

Batteries are a crap way of storing energy. Making batteries not be a
crap way of storing energy has been a major preoccupation among
engineers and physicists and - even more importantly - the people who
fund them for decades. They've made batteries be a slightly less crap
way of storing energy. They haven't made them not be a crap way of
storing energy. None of the current trials do anything to reverse
that.

At absolute best, a battery train might just about be a solution for
Henley. It would be an insane solution for 6ish tph on the GWML.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org