London Banter

-   -   Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8113-taking-bike-london-bridge-hither.html)

[email protected] May 15th 09 05:25 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and my bike
is pretty ordinary.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Alistair Bell[_2_] May 15th 09 07:24 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening?

On May 14, 1:00*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009, Alistair Bell wrote:
But with all that said, I'd be tempted to just leave the bike at Hither
Green (or Lewisham) station in the morning. Or just not cycle that day.

I don't understand this idea - which morning? Are you suggesting i should
have cycled there this morning (from Finsbury Park) before work, then got
the train from there to work today, and then back again this evening,
followed by riding back to Finsbury Park tonight?

Pretty much, yes. Of course, you didn't tell us where you were
starting from. (And it's not like Fin Park is the back of beyond.)
Personally, I'd probably have just left the bike at home.

Tom Anderson May 16th 09 02:38 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

On Fri, 15 May 2009, wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that i
couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting out
in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i just
pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and my bike
is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

tom

--
Science runs with us, making us Gods.

[email protected] May 16th 09 05:06 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John Rowland May 16th 09 05:17 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

wrote:
In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

The performance of a human-propelled vehicle is somewhat dependent on the
performance of the propellor.

MIG May 16th 09 11:26 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

On 16 May, 18:17, "John Rowland"
In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009, wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

The performance of a human-propelled vehicle is somewhat dependent on the
performance of the propellor.-

I think the discussion was of the approach to the junction at Deptford
Broadway.

You have to come off the small roundabout by Creekmouth and get into
the right lane in order to go straight ahead at the junction. But
then the trouble is that the lanes are very narrow. To be on the left
side of the right lane, you have to block that lane for 100 yards or
more. The other option is to be on the right of the left lane, but
that's risky if there is left-turning stuff overtaking. The left-
turning lane will often be moving while the straight ahead lane on the
right is slow or stopped, because of the filtering sequence.

There's no particular problem if you are at the front at the junction
when the lights clear. I wouldn't fancy nipping in from the left to
squeeze between the traffic island (between left filter and straight
ahead) and a moving car though. Luckily, the lights are green for
such a short time that this is rarely necessary,

[email protected] May 16th 09 11:50 PM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

wrote:
In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

The performance of a human-propelled vehicle is somewhat dependent
on the performance of the propellor.

Human standing start performance is much better than an ICE with a ton of
metal for most values of human power. And that's all you need to get out
of the way starting at lights.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson May 17th 09 01:35 AM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

On Sat, 16 May 2009, wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

And do you then, having queue-jumped in front of them as would have been
the case in this situation, stay ahead of cars trying to do 40 mph down a
narrow road with neither effort nor prayer? I could have done it, by
taking the primary position and riding at a normal pace, but that would
have been stunningly antisocial.

tom

--
Model 706-8073-421, Robot Sonic

Tom Anderson May 17th 09 01:36 AM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

On Sat, 16 May 2009, wrote:

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

wrote:
In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

The performance of a human-propelled vehicle is somewhat dependent
on the performance of the propellor.

Human standing start performance is much better than an ICE with a ton
of metal for most values of human power. And that's all you need to get
out of the way starting at lights.

Ah, so you hadn't bothered to read my description of that junction, then.

tom

--
Model 706-8073-421, Robot Sonic

[email protected] May 17th 09 08:38 AM

Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009,
wrote:

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

wrote:
In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found
that i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of
scooting out in front of the head of the queue to take
primary. In the end i just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

The performance of a human-propelled vehicle is somewhat dependent
on the performance of the propellor.

Human standing start performance is much better than an ICE with
a ton of metal for most values of human power. And that's all you
need to get out of the way starting at lights.

Ah, so you hadn't bothered to read my description of that junction,
then.

I thought I had, including your comment that you chickened out.

--
Colin Rosenstiel