Old May 13th 09, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening?

Evening all,

I want to visit a friend who lives near Hither Green (or thereabouts - not
totally sure what the closest railway station is yet) tomorrow evening.
I'll be going from work, which is (not quite) in the City. It strikes me
as a bit far to cycle, especially as i don't know the area. So, i want to
take the train from London Bridge, and take my bike with me, so i can
cycle from the station to her house, and then from London Bridge home
later on.

I understand that Southeastern don't take trains on London-leaving trains
before 1900, which is fair enough. Does anyone happen to know if my
understanding is correct?

Moreover, is it realistic for me to think i will be able to get on a train
with my bike soon after that? I have this terrible vision of the evening
peak being standing-room-only and not conducive to bikes for hours on end.

Thanks,
tom

--
WHO REPLACED THE CLIENT FILES WITH TEQUILA.. ALFONZ??

Old May 14th 09, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs_m...ard_facilities

Old May 14th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...
Evening all,

I want to visit a friend who lives near Hither Green (or thereabouts

snip
Moreover, is it realistic for me to think i will be able to get on a train
with my bike soon after that? I have this terrible vision of the evening
peak being standing-room-only and not conducive to bikes for hours on end.

Thanks,
tom

Just be prepared to put up with some hard looks!

MaxB

Old May 14th 09, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Batman55" wrote in message

Just be prepared to put up with some hard looks!

I doubt anyone would be selfish enough to even attempt it.

Ian

Old May 14th 09, 08:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 13 May 2009 23:19:31 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

[...]

If joining the train at Charing Cross, get on near the front, the bike
won't be a problem. If getting on at London Bridge there will be more
room at the front, but not much! The exit at Hither Green Station is
right at the back of the train.

I live minutes from Hither Green. I can suggest two cycling routes,
one largely motor traffic free, and an express route.

The traffic free route will take up to an hour; the express route up
to 40 minutes.

1. From London Bridge pick up the Thames Cycle Route, generally well
signed as NCR4. Follow the route almost all the way to Greenwich. At
Deptford Creek, before crossing the River Ravensbourne, follow NCR21
to Lewisham. At Lewisham follow the cycle route through the Town
Centre to Lewisham Library, then Limes Grove, right College Park, left
Dermody Road, right Eastdown Park, ahead Leahurst Rod, arrive Hither
Green.

2. From London Bridge, follow the A200 [Tooley Street (bus/cycle
lanes), Jamaica Road (bus lanes), Lower Road (bus lanes), Evelyn
Street], then right Deptford Church Street (nasty junction, bus
lanes), ahead Brookmill Road, ahead Thurston Street, left Loampit
Vale, ahead Lewisham High Street (nasty roundabout, bus lane), left
Lee High Road, right Manor Park, right Staplehurst Road, arrive Hither
Green.
Old May 14th 09, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

Green.- Hide quoted text -

Route 2 ain't so bad really. Even the apparently terrifying
roundabout at Rotherhithe is surprisingly easy. The only really
horrible bit is trying to turn right into Deptford Church Street,
where you can't get into the right lane. It might be avoided by using
Deptford High Street and Giffin Street (no market that time of day).

Also, once in Brookmill Road, you can pick up cycle routes through
Lewisham and continue with route 1.
Old May 14th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

In ,
Tom Crispin tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:

2. From London Bridge, follow the A200 [Tooley Street (bus/cycle
lanes), Jamaica Road (bus lanes), Lower Road (bus lanes), Evelyn
Street], then right Deptford Church Street (nasty junction, bus
lanes), ahead Brookmill Road, ahead Thurston Street, left Loampit
Vale, ahead Lewisham High Street (nasty roundabout, bus lane), left
Lee High Road, right Manor Park, right Staplehurst Road, arrive Hither
Green.

Tooley Street is currently closed for a burst water main, and if the last
time this happened was in any way typical, will re-open shortly before
Christmas...

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old May 14th 09, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

Evening all,

I want to visit a friend who lives near Hither Green (or thereabouts - not
totally sure what the closest railway station is yet) tomorrow evening.

Cycle to her house in the morning - lock up bike and leave there.
Take public transport in to work.
Take public transport back in the evening.
Have a pleasant evening.
Cycle home

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 14th 09, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On May 14, 4:40*am, MIG wrote:
On 14 May, 08:05, Tom Crispin
wrote:
2. *From London Bridge, follow the A200 [Tooley Street (bus/cycle
lanes), Jamaica Road (bus lanes), Lower Road (bus lanes), Evelyn
Street], then right Deptford Church Street (nasty junction, bus
lanes), ahead Brookmill Road, ahead Thurston Street, left Loampit
Vale, ahead Lewisham High Street (nasty roundabout, bus lane), left
Lee High Road, right Manor Park, right Staplehurst Road, arrive Hither
Green.

Route 2 ain't so bad really. *Even the apparently terrifying
roundabout at Rotherhithe is surprisingly easy. *The only really
horrible bit is trying to turn right into Deptford Church Street,
where you can't get into the right lane. *It might be avoided by using
Deptford High Street and Giffin Street (no market that time of day).

Ditto. I used to cycle something very like this route to work on a
regular basis. It's easy and mostly fairly flat. And I agree with the
diversion via the market -- that makes life easier.

(That said, I was cycling this route 1992-1994; things may have
changed a bit, though I don't think they've changed all that much.)

But with all that said, I'd be tempted to just leave the bike at
Hither Green (or Lewisham) station in the morning. Or just not cycle
that day.

DLR Taking the PIS MIG London Transport 5 February 4th 09 01:24 AM
Couple banned for life from shopping centre and branded 'terrorists' - for taking photos of their grandchildren Dr. Lippschitz London Transport 0 January 7th 08 12:47 AM
Hither Green 73C MaxB London Transport 2 January 9th 07 04:36 PM
Taking the PIS asdf London Transport 5 September 13th 06 10:28 PM
Taking a dog on the underground AndyColeman London Transport 19 July 23rd 05 10:55 AM