Old May 19th 09, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cross River Tram "top of Boris's list"

So says the South London Press:

CROSS RIVER TRAM HOPE FROM BORIS AID [sic]

TRAM campaigners have been given fresh hope after the Mayor’s top
transport advisor was reported as saying it would be “top of the list”
when they next lobbied for Government funding.

Hopes for a Cross River Tram (CRT), which would link Peckham and
Brixton with King’s Cross north of the river, were dashed when Mayor
Boris Johnson announced there was not enough cash for the project in
November.

But at a committee meeting, as part of the State of London debate on
Saturday, Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor’s director of transport policy,
told the audience Mr Johnson was “keen to see the CRT going forward
and it would be top of his list” when he next asked the Government for
funding.

London Assembly member Caroline Pidgeon, chairwoman of the transport
committee, said: “I wrote it down because I thought ‘I can’t believe
he just said that’.

see the CRT going forward and it would be top of his list for lobbying
the Government for funding.

“So I am writing to Boris and Kulveer to ask for clarification of what
they mean by that, because it’s the first I have ever heard of it.

“But that’s what Kulveer said and he is Boris’s key transport
advisor.”

Phil Bale, chairman of residents’ group Evolution Quarter Residents’
Association, who lobbied for the tram to come to Peckham, said: “It’s
nice to hear some positive news about the tram for once, but we need
some clarification of what Kulveer Ranger said.”

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn...%20Boris%20aid

Old May 19th 09, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 19, 12:28*pm, Patrick Osborne wrote:

[...]

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=19785

It's so very easy to say "that's top of the list" isn't it - and it
does so please people when you say it...
Old May 19th 09, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

[...]

Did anyone read the NR South London RUS? Seems NR are somewhat counting on
other modes to help them cope with PIXC, the tram plans included. But I
agree about spin. All pollies and their advisers use it, the only difference
is RPM.

David down under

Old May 23rd 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote...
Patrick Osborne wrote:
TRAM campaigners have been given fresh hope after the Mayor’s top
transport advisor was reported as saying it would be “top of the list”
when they next lobbied for Government funding.

It's so very easy to say "that's top of the list" isn't it -
and it does so please people when you say it...

Now that Crossrail is 'a done deal' (fingers crossed!), Boris would be a
fool NOT to add another high profile project to his shiopping basket ...

--

Andrew

Old May 28th 09, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew Heenan" wrote in message
"Mizter T" wrote...
Patrick Osborne wrote:
TRAM campaigners have been given fresh hope after the Mayor's top
transport advisor was reported as saying it would be "top of the list"
when they next lobbied for Government funding.

It's so very easy to say "that's top of the list" isn't it -
and it does so please people when you say it...

Now that Crossrail is 'a done deal' (fingers crossed!), Boris would be a
fool NOT to add another high profile project to his shiopping basket ...

--

Andrew

We have to remember that he IS a fool. No idea about public finances,
cancelled CRT, CT expansion, DLR expansion etc and cancelled a deal that
benefitted both Londoners and Venezuelans. He also changed the peak ticket
times messing up a great set up royally.
He should also consider a bond issue to pay for the projects especially at a
time like this when there's precious little work to go around and doing
things at this time means that the labour is readilly available and that it
will help in the up-turn at the end of the receesion when we have better
infrastructure.

Richard

Old May 28th 09, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 May 2009 15:54:04 +0100
"bradders" wrote:
We have to remember that he IS a fool. No idea about public finances,
cancelled CRT, CT expansion, DLR expansion etc and cancelled a deal that
benefitted both Londoners and Venezuelans. He also changed the peak ticket
times messing up a great set up royally.

Don't forget scrapping bendy buses which while unsuitable for some routes
are superb on others. He only seemed to listen to the loud mouth cycling
lobby rather than the people who actual used them.

B2003

Old May 28th 09, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Patrick Osborne wrote:
TRAM campaigners have been given fresh hope after the Mayor's top
transport advisor was reported as saying it would be "top of the
list" when they next lobbied for Government funding.
It's so very easy to say "that's top of the list" isn't it -
and it does so please people when you say it...

Now that Crossrail is 'a done deal' (fingers crossed!), Boris would
be a fool NOT to add another high profile project to his shiopping
basket ... --

Andrew

We have to remember that he IS a fool. No idea about public finances,
cancelled CRT, CT expansion, DLR expansion etc and cancelled a deal
that benefitted both Londoners and Venezuelans. He also changed the
peak ticket times messing up a great set up royally.

Surely the new peak/off-peak arrangements are an improvement for
passengers?

And how exactly did Ken's Venezuelan deal help the esteemed citizens of
Caracas?

Old May 28th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Patrick Osborne wrote:
TRAM campaigners have been given fresh hope after the Mayor's top
transport advisor was reported as saying it would be "top of the list"
when they next lobbied for Government funding.
It's so very easy to say "that's top of the list" isn't it -
and it does so please people when you say it...

Now that Crossrail is 'a done deal' (fingers crossed!), Boris would be
a fool NOT to add another high profile project to his shiopping basket

Andrew

We have to remember that he IS a fool. No idea about public finances,
cancelled CRT, CT expansion, DLR expansion etc

The trams weren't really cancelled, as they were not actually "on" in
the first place. There was no money allocated to build them. What got
cancelled was studies, and however many studies you do you still need
funds to actually build the thing (ask Liverpool, or south Hampshire).

Whoever was mayor would be in the same position (unless he was a
tram-spotting Arab oil sheik or Russian zillionaire, I suppose)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old May 29th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 28, 10:18*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
And how exactly did Ken's Venezuelan deal help the esteemed citizens of
Caracas?

Free consultancy from TfL to the local government on how to run
transport projects, IIRC.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old May 29th 09, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Is there a single scheme of Ken's, that Boris rubbished, that is NOT "top of
Boris's list" ??