Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 19th 09, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cross River Tram "top of Boris's list"

So says the South London Press:

CROSS RIVER TRAM HOPE FROM BORIS AID [sic]

TRAM campaigners have been given fresh hope after the Mayor’s top
transport advisor was reported as saying it would be “top of the list”
when they next lobbied for Government funding.

Hopes for a Cross River Tram (CRT), which would link Peckham and
Brixton with King’s Cross north of the river, were dashed when Mayor
Boris Johnson announced there was not enough cash for the project in
November.

But at a committee meeting, as part of the State of London debate on
Saturday, Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor’s director of transport policy,
told the audience Mr Johnson was “keen to see the CRT going forward
and it would be top of his list” when he next asked the Government for
funding.

London Assembly member Caroline Pidgeon, chairwoman of the transport
committee, said: “I wrote it down because I thought ‘I can’t believe
he just said that’.

see the CRT going forward and it would be top of his list for lobbying
the Government for funding.

“So I am writing to Boris and Kulveer to ask for clarification of what
they mean by that, because it’s the first I have ever heard of it.

“But that’s what Kulveer said and he is Boris’s key transport
advisor.”

Phil Bale, chairman of residents’ group Evolution Quarter Residents’
Association, who lobbied for the tram to come to Peckham, said: “It’s
nice to hear some positive news about the tram for once, but we need
some clarification of what Kulveer Ranger said.”

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn...%20Boris%20aid